Strange: Waking up with a Song in My Head

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brother Rob, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

Waking up with a song running thru my head isn't that strange in itself. This happens fairly regularly. However lately it has been nearly every day. Recently I've been playing a ton and really concentrating on actually practicing instead of just noodling around on the guitar. I seem to have had a bit of a "Plateau Breakthrough" where my time spent working on the Guitar is really paying off. Part of this seems fueled by having fallen in love with the guitar I built. I've really had a creative surge where I've been learning at a accelerated pace and writing tons of new riffs.

All of that is fine, but not really the "Strange" part.

During the past several weeks when I'll wake with a song stuck playing over and over in my mind, it usually isn't something I've been working on nor even one of the most recent songs I've heard. Lately it has been some obscure song that I'll have heard in passing. Perhaps a snippet of a video that I watch for a few moments while channel surfing. Or a song in the background of a commercial or TV Show. Or a song on the music in a restaurant or while shopping in a store.

Even more strangely, lately they have been from two days prior (not one - not three -always two days). Sometimes I have to take a few minutes to remember where and when I've heard the song that is running over and over thru my head.

So, for some reason a song keeps getting planted in my mind and then randomly pops up two days later when I am waking up in the morning.

Just sort of interesting how the mind works.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wake up with an "earworm" every day. Have since I was a kid. No rhyme or reason to it, it can be anything from anywhere. When I remember to do it, especially if the song is silly or embarrassing, I find the youtube vid and post it on my Facebook page as "Today's Earworm" and hilarity ensues.

Woke up this morning with "Have You Seen Her" by the Chi-Lites spinning in my melon. Great song. Haven't heard it in years. A helluva lot better than last week when I woke up with "Walk The Dinosaur" in my head.:lol:

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I woke up this morning with "Going Down" from Freddie King in my head.

I can't remember the last time that I heard that song or even noodled around with it, on the guitar.

4. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

Well I didn't wake up with a song this morning but I did have a pretty awesome dream that I want to share with someone (nobody wanted to listen, I have weird dreams a lot and while it certainly hasn't lost it's novelty to me I think it has to them).

Anyways to condense it down there is this Swedish scientist that dies and gets trapped in the body of a corgi. The scientist trying to make the best of a bad situation decides to become the cities biggest crime lord (simple as that :lol:). I uncover the scientist and proceed to try and convince a lady colleague of mine that this corgi/evil scientist is in fact the head of a national crime organisation (difficult even in a dream). Eventually we convince this sort of Swedish General (which is weird because we were police) and proceed to set a trap for him in an abandoned bank (?) that when a laser is tripped he is simultaneously crushed by rocks and drowned in an ever rising flood of water. Anyways, the dog/scientist sets off the trap but manages to survive to the point were we have a fight on the roof top of this now collapsing building, my partner is down. A struggle ensues and him being a tiny corgi I throw him (in a hilarious manner by the legs) off the side of the building...

My alarm goes off and I wake up. I also had a dream earlier in the week were I was both a Necromancer and a University student in an RPG and I had to travel between campus' to complete quests, one of which required me to unleash an army of undead on a dragon in a lecture theatre :rolleyes:.

5. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Happens to me quite often, but they are originals. Not gonna split hairs over whether I've heard them somewhere, subconsciously or otherwise. I sleep with a Tele next to the bed and play it out, sometimes in middle of night. If it's good enough, it goes on to my recorder the next day.

My problem is I always like the next song better than the last one. Need to find the best twelve and develop them fully.

6. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Cool to know a lot of people wake up with songs stuck in their heads that they haven't heard in ages. I'll bet this happens to music lovers who aren't musicians, too (although I suspect there's generally a lot of overlap between music lovers and people who at least dabble in playing music).

Every once in a great while, I wake up with what seems to be an original song in my head. Sometimes with no lyrics; sometimes with the scrap of a verse or chorus. That's really weird to me, because I really don't have any great aspirations regarding songwriting. If I think it's particularly good, I might sit down and figure it out on my guitar, then record what I've got or write down some notes about it...just to be sure I don't lose it forever. After all, I might change my mind about songwriting someday. :D

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't, but my wife has a new "song of the day" every morning. This morning was The Wayward Wind. I think I need a younger wife!

8. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

today's tune
    "whats love got to do with it" - tina turner

nice key change in it

every morning =
    a different tune

9. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

I don't necessarily wake up with them, but I get one pretty much every day.

Funny thing is, now that I read these lists I can't remember the one I was singing an hour or so ago...

In my somewhat sleep deprived state (since new baby has joined us) I find any little thing I hear can tip me off into thinking about a song, a word, a phrase, an image...and it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the song!...there's been some weird ones, including a middle of the night bout with "Living in America."

10. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

It's a phenomenomenom. I often wake up with songs in my head, or people's names repeating in my head or words or phrases. The other day I woke up with the words Bovine TB stuck in my head. I have no clue why. I'm probably a sponge.

11. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand...who's wine...what wine...where the hell did I dine?

12. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I wake up to Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"

13. x2plex

x2plex Tele-Meister

Whether a blessing or curse, you're certainly not alone. I have music in my head as I wind down every evening. Still there when I awaken.
    Last night it was mainly about 'Chevrolet'... Taj Mahal's version, Derek Truck's version and my own, I guess!

14. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

Glad it's not just me! I wake up every morning with a song in my head and have them running through my head pretty much all day. They just come at random, often keyed by a word or phrase I hear that reminds me of a song, often one I haven't heard in years. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with an original in my head, but if I go back to sleep it will usually be gone when I wake up in the morning, which has frustrated me to no end a few times!

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

for some strange reason I started singing this old song in the shower this morning?.....

"right now, there's Dust on my Guitar you fuk"...

it's been really hot and dry this month.. and dusty... and I haven't been playing much this week...

it must have been a message from brain to self.... there's dust on your Tele you fuk... snap out of it!... whatever it is that's bugging you.... ang get playing!...

it worked... Freedom's on my fingers today and I'm not feeling pissed anymore...

amazing what a sucky old song can do ... and even more amazing for the old brain to drag that one up....

16. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

Just remembered. I had one in my head this AM. It was the song from one of those car commercials (Prius?). Woman's voice singing. Not the one about Roller-blades, there is another very similar (nearly identical) commercial. Multiple little vignettes, each featuring the Vehicle in different short scenes. Can't even remember now how it sounds, but it was clear in my brain this AM.

17. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I'm sorry to admit this morning it was Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup".
    I never claimed to have good taste....

18. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

U2's "Until the end of the world" was this morning's song

19. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

This morning it was G&R's version of "Live and Let Die" followed by Aerosmith's "Janie's got a Gun"

I'd forgotten about having the songs in my head until I was horsing around on this Forum and remembered this thread.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

When I get a song stuck in my head I dial the Hot Line. 1-800-867-5309
    Works for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.