Strange telecaster bridge!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KazPed, Apr 1, 2009.

1. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I have a telecaster body i would like to use, but the bridge pickup bay is routed for a standard "strat style" (i guess) single coil pickup. I would like a standard bridge for the body, but the standard bridge pickup for a telecaster doesnt fit in the routed configuration! (obviously!!!). Is there a standard telecaster bridge with screw holes for a standard single coil pickup i could buy? or will i have to route the pickup bay to a standard bridge pickup bay? if thats possible (i dont know the dimensions of of a standard tele bridge pickup bay)

2. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Duncan makes a pickup called the Twangbanger that's a strat pup that's supossed to sound like a Tele bridge pup, but I haven't tried it myself.

3. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

its not a pickup im after. i want a telecaster bridge, but my body is routed for a standard single coil pickup. so im trying to find a standard telecaster bridge with screw holes for a single coil pickup

4. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

you'll be hard pressed to find a telecaster bridge plate made for a strat pickup... At least I've not seen any. You can find them cut for full sized humbuckers and a tv jones - even a double sized tele bucker like rio grande offers, but I've not seen any for a strat sized single coil.

You can find half bridges for a telecaster - or a hardtail strat bridge that will allow you to use a strat pup. Those leave the pickup and pickup route exposed... like the GE Smith tele.

Are there screw or string holes drilled in the body?

If you want to use a tele bridge pup, then you'll have to route out the wood - get the bridge plate and pickup in hand first so you can trace where you need to route.

5. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

maybe this will make it a little clearer!

[​IMG]

This is how i found the body after taking everything off (the difference in colours is just where pickguard and bridge where. Im going to strip it, drill string holes through the body. how would i go about routing the bridge pickup cavity to fit a standard strat then?

6. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

the easiest for you would be to get one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Templates/1/Pickup_Routing_Templates.html

the $6-7 dollars will save you a lot of trouble.

edited to add that a tele neck pickup will probably need more room in that body too.

out of curiosity.... if you have the body there with you, what's the measurement from the inside of the neck pocket to the center of the string holes?

7. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

from the neck pocket to string holes is slightly under 7 1/4" (im not good with inches as im english! - so in metric its 189mm :)

with the template would i just route the cavity out?

8. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

yes. Center and secure the template down and use a pattern router bit to the depth needed... with all due caution, as always.

you may want to check online for a brit source for template/s

again - curious... is the neck 25.5 scale? - 12.75" - 324mm from the inside of the nut to the center of the 12th fret?

9. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

yup its 25.5 scale!

10. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

should be fun... just be careful.

I'd think about using a full tele bridge (and pickup) to hopefully cover the discolored area and leave the old finish as is... but that's just me - it's your tele.

one more thing while I'm thinking about it - if you get the thin template, you may want to use it to cut another template out of 3/4" mdf or equivalent so the bearing on the router bit has a thicker edge to ride on when you route the body. You'll need to adjust the depth when you do and the 3/4 will give you more vertical room.

11. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

The standard tele ashtray style bridge is 85mm long and 75 mm wide.The angle of the p.u. might be just a bit different also it may just be th angle of the pic though.

12. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What kind of '60s Japanese body is that?

13. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

i think its a Hohner arbor series. but not entirely sure!

14. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

and a "modern" type tele bridge is roughly 80 x 100 mm.

the angle... a strat bridge pup is angled 16 degrees - a tele, 17. finding a center line and using a protractor might be interesting.

either way... you're going to want to position the bridge and pup so the string and magnet spacing match up pretty well. A tele bridge plate, whether vintage or modern, makes that much easier.

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Use the Adobe Reader Snapshot Tool to crop around the bridge area on the Terry Downs drawing.

Terry Downs Telecaster Drawing

......[​IMG]

Click print ......... set Page Scaling to None and the cropped area will print actual size. This will also show you the correct location of mounting holes and string through holes with respect the pickup cavity or vice versa. This applies only to vintage style bridges, MIM Standard Bridges and Gotoh Modern Bridges.

......[​IMG]

16. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

uhmmm... a strat bridge pup is angled 10 degrees - not 16

I'd suppose I could claim it was an april fools post from an april fool, but it was just another in a long list of typos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.