1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strange routs under pickguard of classic vibe 50's VB

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Sep 6, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I took the pickguard off of my CV today and noticed two half circle routes between the neck pickup and the end of the neck. Any idea what these are for?

2. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The MIMs do have those circular routes which as much as much as anything else says they are a modern Fender body made and finished in Mexico. But those are located on or near the lower bout. I believe Buckwalder is indicating his are in a different location. If I have it correct they're two semi circles directly between the rout for the neck pickup and the end of the neck? Is that right?

4. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Yea, thanks, but this is a different guitar than the one you showed in that thread and the routs are by the neck under the guard. The routs are different too, more of a half circle.
    If someone takes the guard off their classic vibe, the routs are between the end of the neck and the neck pickup and are open on the side of the neck pocket. So if you were to cut out a U shaped piece of wood to plug this route,the flat side of the of the U would touch the heel of the neck.
    I plan on putting a 62 reissue rosewood fender neck on this guitar sometime in the future. The Classic vibe does not have the trussrod channel so I would have to cut one out. The thing is, though, the two routs i'm talking about, are on both sides of the future trussrod channel which would leave very little wood touching the heel of the neck. That may not be a big deal but for my own sanity I would fill these two routs with some scrap pine just so there is more contact in that area of the heel.

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

That's right Soulman.

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

You must mean the two "ears" as seen in this photo.
    Also seen on the red one.

Attached Files:

7. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

That's what I'm talking about. Thanks Glen.

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you don't have to remove wood all the way down to the neck pocket for the truss rod adjustment slot. I would remove the minimum necessary angled down toward the pocket.

9. soulman969

Just a guess but the CV bodies and the MP bodies may be cut exactly the same and a 22 fret neck like the MP Teles have would cover that area whereas the 21 fret neck of a CV doesn't. It may be so that one body would accommodate both necks.

If my Thinline was due for a string change I'd pull the neck and tell you what I found but it's not due for one at the moment. Someone else may have a better idea than mine. Like I said it's only a guess.

10. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

I seem to recall reading, maybe here on TDPRI, that it's to allow, although ever so slight, the neck to be loosened and adjusted if necessary, if one of the (e) strings is too close to the edge..... Or maybe I dreamed it.

11. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Five O, I was thinking the same thing about this but the neck pocket is so tight that you can't shift the neck side to side.

12. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

My best guess here is so they can cut the pocket in one go with a 3/4" bit and not have to retool for the tighter corners. A 3/8" bit would cut the corners tight but doing the whole pocket that way would take twice as long and the bit would wear out twice as fast too.

Also looks like the whole body was routed with the same size bit to save time and money.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jerry Lee nails it. The corners on the neck have a 1/4" quarter inch radius, and the body is cut with a 3/4" diameter cutter. Bigger cutter means longer tool life, less tool flex, and faster feed rates. That web between the neck pocket and pickup cavity doesn't do much anyway.

14. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Makes sense to me.

15. soulman969

Learn something new every day and it's appreciated since I can only play 'em. I can't build 'em.

16. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

The pick guard will cover the holes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.