Strange really that when talking about Rock N Roll legends nobody mentions Bill Haley.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 6, 2019.

1. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Afflicted

Great Bill Haley & the Comets thread.

He used to be talked about a lot in the 1970s especially by Dick Clark on American Bandstand and others.

I assume perhaps current artists do not mention Haley as an early Influence much these days, as a cause of the umerited silence. He rocked as hard or harder than other pioneer rock outfits of his day.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I don't think anyone has mentioned, but the guy had a really pleasing voice. Smooth with the right inflections. They also must of has great engineers cases most of the tunes sound well recorded for the 50's

PeterUK likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

What was your first encounter with Rock 'N Roll? And what was your idea of cutting edge music before you heard Rock 'N Roll? I suspect the edginess in popular music before Rock 'N Roll was actually in the dancing more than the music. When I look at films of dancing in the roaring twenties, it amazes me how skilled people were as dancers. In other words, before Rock 'n Roll, how important was your dancing skill with respect to your hipness? It seems to me that your coolness, in large part, relied on your ability to dance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    broadcaster and 41144 like this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Bill in the 1970's doing a Charlie Rich song. I love this.

broadcaster and Bassman8 like this.
  5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I actually named the Stray Cats as an example of the eighties Rock N Roll revival, Sezter and co are more of the Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps vein than Bill Haley. But once Setzer got his orchestra going he could channel Haley's influence much more.

Yup, that's Bill Haley's original Gibson super 400, he's playing here.

Wildcard_35 and broadcaster like this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Really? The only thing "inclusive" about it was that it was an icebreaker for black and white kids to start having a common interest, start hanging out, and eventually break down some color barriers (with apologies to 'real' history! This is one sentence on a guitar forum).

Bill Haley is absolutely remembered in the *second tier* of early rock n rollers which is just where he should be. Bill Haley is to Chuck Berry as Stone Temple Pilots are to Nirvana. There were loads of great performers in that era and a lot of fun tunes, Bill Haley was one, and Rock Around The Clock along with Shake Rattle And Roll are a couple of great, memorable, fun dance tunes. But in terms of songwriting nobody from that era can touch Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, in terms of pure sex appeal Elvis had that locked down, for performance and vocal chops you still can't really touch Little Richard. And there was all kinds of pioneering happening in guitar playing in all kinds of genres. Learn the guitar solos from Hound Dog - they're pretty cool, loose, out of the box.
    It's cool that you like him - I love Eddie Cochran, myself, but he doesn't get "first tier" status either in my book.

The real crime for me is Little Richard being relegated to B status and people forgetting that the British invasion was built heavily upon Chuck Berry cover tunes.

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Well I cant get all factual or have any cool stories other than to say my 4 year old came home from day care singing "see you later Aligator" whenever we say goodby to each other, she then follows it up with "in a while crocodile" so maybe he is remembered in a manner none of us expect?

and perhaps that is a way he might like anyway..?

(presuming that IS his song.. :) )

PeterUK and stevemc like this.
  8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps, in Uranus

Toast likes this.
  9. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

To me...Bill Haley and the Comets were the groundbreakers. I know there are so many arguments about the beginning of rock and roll, but damn...it doesn't get any better than Rock around the Clock and Shake, Rattle and Roll. Killer stuff.

And the guitar solo on Rock around the Clock kicks ass!

10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I grew up listening to Bill Haley and the Comets. I finally got to see them live in 1979 (20th birthday present) when they were on a tour of the UK.

PeterUK likes this.
  11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

At the time of "Rock Around the Clock" (1954) he was, sadly, too old (29), too fat and too balding. That is not to say he wasn't a nice guy (I don't know).

He was, basically, a country/hillbilly band leader that got lucky with a few songs.

He does deserve to be in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

12. Blazer

The thing is that NONE of the first wave of Rock N Roll artists sounded like the other, let alone that they had a uniform sound, Rock N Roll was diverse from day one.

As I pointed out in the OP: Haley and his band came from country and western swingbeat: adding that flavor to Rock N Roll. Which is very different from the African Beat that people like Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and the "Crying in your beer" crooning that Roy Orbison and the Everly Brothers were doing.

There's a great anecdote of Little Richard's drummer about the day when Richard took him to a train station and let him hear that chugging rolling beat of a steam engine as it came by and asked him if he could emulate that beat. It resulted in the song "Lucille" with which the "ROLL" in "Rock N Roll" was born.

Having mentioned Little Richard, he was one who played Keys with which he made it a Rock N Roll instrument, he wasn't the only one though, Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis also tickled the ivories and NONE sounded anywhere near to what the others sounded like.

What sets Bill Haley apart from people like for example Pat Boone, is that he was sincere, he was there at the right place at the right time, he saw Rock N Roll coming up and struck when the iron was hot. And come on, look at how HARD The Comets were rocking, with upright bass abuse to match which in 1954-55 was something unheard of.
    [​IMG]

Heck when Haley played Europe, the audiences would get so rowdy, they'd demolish the venues, He was every bit as controversial as his peers.

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would encourage you to listen to more music from that period, and do some reading about it, if you really like it. I'll say again that Bill Haley was cool, and he was right there at the start, and he had a good voice, but he wasn't musically innovative nor did he write his own tunes, unlike the A-listers already mentioned here.

14. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

No..:)

15. Blazer

Yeah I see what you mean but when it comes to not writing his own tunes...

[​IMG]
    Yeah, Col Parker demanded that Elvis would get co-credit on all of the songs he recorded (Which is why Dolly Parton said "No" when Elvis wanted to record "I will always love you") but NONE of his hits were actually penned by him.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yes, that's pretty well known, and Elvis always gave props to those performers who also wrote songs. Elvis was to a certain extent a "pretty face" and in the old mode of performers not being songwriters, and yet he had a stage presence / energy and captivating, expressive voice that nobody could touch.

17. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Man, every day's a school day on here.
    Great thread.

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Remember, be true to your school

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Love this! I was thinking the same thing when I first jumped into this thread. That is common language in our home... from our children to our grand children.

Another example.... My dogs love "Rock around the Clock". It is so repetitive.... and every time "Rock" or "Clock is mentioned - they hear "WALK" :lol:

20. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sheffield? I had tickets but didn’t make the gig because of car trouble.

I suggested 1977 earlier in the thread but 1979 makes more sense.

I believed this was their last UK tour?

:) Peter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.