Strange questions about my B-Bender :)

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Digiplay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Please don't take these questions as sacrilegious, heresy, or indubitably illogical :)

I LOVE how my 2011 B-Bender sounds/plays/feels, and although it weighs 9 lbs 2 oz, and I know that's pretty light for a B-Bender, it's still too heavy for me.

1) Does anyone know how much the entire PG plate/internal mechanism/etc. weighs?

2) Do you know of anyone who makes a clear acrylic base that I could replace just the PG plate with, and re-attach the internal mechanism to it?

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

9.2 lbs is probably the heaviest B Bender, which would be the Fender PG guitar. A typical routed B Bender ( Parsons, F L jr , Matney etc) removes about 1 lb of wood and replaces it with about 1 lb of metal. A zero sum game.

How much does the PG system weigh ? my guess is near 1.5 lbs with the chrome plate. I have never weighed the ones I had but I suspect the guitars without them are in th+/- 8 lb territory. Remove the PG system and weigh it, then weigh the guitar. Let us know !

The issue you will have by mounting the PG hardware to an acrylic plate is stability. There is no way an acrylic plate can handle the stress of a pull system with a huge return spring . Thats why the PG parts are mounted to a METAL plate, ease of manufacture and stability. Routed installations have the parts installed to the guitar body and are covered with a decorative, NON functional plate. The PG Bender parts are reversed, meaning it is built on to the metal plate, rather than into the body. The PG system was designed to be manufactured away from the guitar then just dropped in. The components are NOT built into and secured to the body of the guitar.

IF the weight doesn't bother you, leave it be and enjoy it ! I've owned several over the years, weight is subjective, personal, it never bothered me. To me the only annoyance of the PG guitar , which really was not much of an annoyance in the scheme of things , was to perform any additional setup, adjustments , maintenance etc, required removing the B string. Other than that , the PG guitars are excellent Telecasters. Well, my view of course !

3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

The plate on mine appears to be aluminum. Non-magnetic and light weight. Bought online, diy install.

79EB62E5-E733-4ED1-B9E7-017661B017E3.jpeg

That Cal Webway likes this.
  4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Pineears!

Do you mean you just bought the plate (not the entire B-Bender assembly)?

If so, do you have a link for it?

Thanks
    Jerry

5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.