strange question: Nut width

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by marshman, Oct 14, 2021.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was perusing one of the auction/sale sites and saw a Squier Jazz 5 neck for sale (since gone) and I just wondered: Would a 5-string Jazz bass be about the same width as a 'standard' P-bass?

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

3. jsiddall

jsiddall TDPRI Member

There are no hard/fast rules here. Some people like to keep their string spacing the same regardless of the number of strings, others don't mind some variation.

I find I like about 9.5 mm center-to-center. A P-bass is typically between 41.3 (1-5/8") and 44.5 mm (1-3/4") wide at the nut so you would need to make a very narrow spaced 5-string to fit into that width -- probably just over 9 mm.

I have a 5-string that is just under 9 mm and it feels pretty tight to me. You just need decide what you are happy with.

4. marshman

I guess I was just wondering if a Jazz 5 and a Precision 4 just require interchangeable nuts.

5. jsiddall

jsiddall TDPRI Member

Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to put a 5 string J-neck on a 4 string P body? I guess if you just left one of the tuning machines unused maybe? The nut width of a 5 string J will almost certainly be larger than a 4 string P so you need to decide how wide you are willing to go, and then cut a custom nut. Seems like it would be easier just to find a 4 string P neck.

6. marshman

Oh, I’m not doing anything, I’m just curious…I’ve picked up a few 4-string J-basses that felt like pencils out at the nut(which I’m not all that fond of), so the notion that a 5-string J and 4-string P being about the same just popped into my head.

7. jsiddall

jsiddall TDPRI Member

Got it. The width won't be too much different, but yeah, most 5's will be wider than even the widest 4.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.