1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strange Noise In All my Amps, very weird.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Cfidave, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Cfidave

Cfidave TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Having a very strange intermittent noise problem in my amps. I know what it isn’t, but can’t figure out what it is. Here are the facts:

1. Same noise appears in all 3 amps ( not amp related).
    2. Same noise appears in other rooms in the house, plugged into different circuits
    3. Same noise regardless of what guitars or cables are plugged in.
    4. Noise does Not happen with amp on and nothing plugged in. Even with volume up.
    5. No pedals, just guitar and amp.
    6. Plugging a guitar cable into the amp with no guitar, volume up, yields the same noise.
    7. Noise is definitely getting in through the input jack.
    8. Noise starts out at about 1khz and has transients in the 2-3Khz range.
    9. Noise lasts any where from 3-10 seconds and stops. Starts again randomly.

I noticed this a few weeks ago, and have never heard anything like it. All of my amps have been extremely quiet up until this point. Almost a cricket sound. I have attached an audio file of the noise. If anyone can help out I would be very grateful.

Sound file here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yscbLLUtyYmgFQ10cr01bDRBUu2df8O3/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    JL_LI likes this.
  2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

That sounds like a dimmer light switch. Or possibly some LED or fluorescent bulbs.
    It could even be your bigscreen tvs.

TIP: If you hold the tip of your guitar cable near the noise source, it gets louder. So, you can actually use your cable as a noise detector.

kram29 and Dismalhead like this.
  3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I heard a strange noise in all of my amps, and eventually figured out it was my playing.

Seriously, it sounds like an electricity issue in your house with a dimmer or something running in or around your house like a motor.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds familiar, like a fridge system creating noise in the wiring. I used to play a small bar that had an ancient huge fridge system that did a lower EQ noise like that when the fridge motor turned on...

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Could it be your cell phone? I know that mine will cause funky noises with my amps if it's too close to them.

dougstrum and 2HBStrat like this.
  6. Forum2003

Forum2003 TDPRI Member

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Nice symptom tests and list. Items 1, 4 and 6 (obviously) say it's external to the amp. As the guys note, new appliance or dimmer or computer or router or anything else at your house?

New neighbors? Ham operator, CB, Elbonian spies with radio? Are you in apartment, townhouse, lonely mansion? :)

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Possibly interference from taxi and police radio picked-up by your wiring.

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

If the interference is airborne, using a power conditioner on your amp, will have no effect.

modavis99 likes this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

I bet you've already tried different guitar cables. :)

Some clever kid in my neighborhood once set their wifi SSID to "NSA Surveillance Van" -- you may want to check the street in front of your home for a real one.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

My former flat was situated in a very old building, with old electrical lines. I would have thought it would be noisy as hell, but it was completely ok.
    Three years ago I moved into a 100% new building, with everything responding to the newest standards, and I've got an intermittent (a few seconds every approx. 20 sec) high frequency noise coming through every amp. Tried to unplug literally everything, but it's still there. Must be coming from elsewhere in the building, but never figured out what it is.
    I still wonder about how they managed to deal with this in the 50's, when amps were not even grounded through a 3 prong plug.

12. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

The intermittent nature of it makes me doubt it’s this, but the noise is similar to one I experienced when my neighbor installed one of those invisible dog fences that puts out an rf signal.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In the old bar I mentioned, nothing seemed to stop it. I tried inexpensive devices like the Hum Debugger. But not a Furman. There are used Tripp Lite power conditioners from computer companies that sell cheap.

Forum2003 likes this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Cell phone...?

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a laptop power supply to me.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I can’t say for sure, but you may be experiencing RF noise originating from outside your house. I had that problem, possibly from wires strung outside my house. My guitar cables were acting as antennas.

Try turning your amp on with only a cable plugged in. Drape the cable across the floor. Is is quiet? Hold the cable vertically. Do you now hear the noise? That’s RF. I solved the problem with a Mogami Gold cable. These cables have great shielding that blocks most RF interference. It’s a simple test and if it identifies the problem, the solution is $50 or so depending on the length of cable you need.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    stormsedge and Dismalhead like this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree with the "your cable is an antenna" theory. RFI can be tough to track down.

JL_LI likes this.
  18. Cfidave

Hey guys thanks for the input. It has to be something that has been added in the last few weeks. TV is not new, nor is the cell phones, or appliances or computer. Wifi has always been there with no problems.
    I did try a cable plugged in ( see item 6), used as an antenna and also draped on the floor. Still the noise persists.I don't believe this to be in the house wiring, I think it is RFI airborne. The fact that is not continuous
    but randomly comes and goes, makes it even harder to figure out. Almost like someone or something starts and stops with no particular pattern.

19. Cfidave

I love that one!!

20. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Not for a noise coming on over the airwaves like that. If it were coming in through the house wiring, like if the amp shared a branch circuit with a dimmer, then a conditioner can help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.