Strange magic chord voicing help

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by 57fenderstrat, May 12, 2021.

1. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I thought I would learn this tonight, been picking out the chords and trying to decide on some voicings and such. The verse is some what tricky to the ear because the C minor and G augmented sound similar to my ear because they both share G and D#/Eb as common tones. Anyways I’m going back and forth on a few things. First I was playing it like this

X X
    3 3
    0 0
    0 1
    X X
    3 3

(G) (G+ or cmadd9)

This way I would just use the same voice for both the g augmented and the c minor, go to the open e minor and then the pre chorus. Although I could add the low c in the c minor chords too if I wanted to.

The second thing I was trying was more barre chord shaped like this

3 3 3 3 3 X X
    3 4 3 4 3 4 5
    4 5 4 5 4 0 4
    5 5 5 5 5 5 5
    5 3 5 3 5 6 X
    3 3 3 3 3 X 0

(G) (Cm) (G) (Cm) (G) (G+)(em)

I could also voice that G+ like this :

X
    x

Lastly for some reason my ear kind of wants to get a low A on that c minor barre chord sometimes like this :

3 3
    4 3
    5 4
    5 5
    0 5
    3 3

(Cm) (G)

Do any of you guys hear that too ? I’m not sure why I want to do it but I kind of like how that tense A sticks out and then resolves into the G chord.

Any ways hopefully this makes sense to read...my questions are for those familiar with the song what would you do ? I guess that blurry areas between G augmented and c minor is what makes this progression interesting to the ear

2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Shoot....the chords were space out alittle better when I first typed it out so it’s going to be even more difficult to decipher my writing than I intended.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.