Strange Looking Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CFFF, Oct 21, 2019.

1. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Indeed!

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Look like a triumph of form over function

CFFF likes this.
  4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

First Act. Although never seen them with the black covers and rings. Actually pretty good pickups.

Zepfan, Wally, jvin248 and 3 others like this.
  5. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

I agree about the curvy cuts. But the cover cutout does actually perform a very useful and proven function. Like Filtertrons, a cutout in any humbucker that encloses the perimeter of the poles without any join in the middle, almost completely eliminates eddy losses in the cover. Thus, you have the mechanical protection for the coils, with the clarity of a coverless build. Note that this is not true of single coils, because they don't benefit from the eddy current cancellation that occurs in this case.

bender66 and CFFF like this.
  6. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I have just looked at First Act guitars. Interesting designs. A little like old Volkswagen motorcars :)

Thank you.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep, 1st act. I've got a couple of those, and they both have pups that look like that.
    Some sources indicate they are Kent Armstrongs

Golem likes this.
  8. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

The cut outs look like plastic to me so maybe they would have less function if this is so?

9. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Is the tops made from plastic?

10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I don't recall exactly, in your research did a humbucker cover need to be cut all the way down the side, or just a single coil cover (Tele neck pu)? I would think even a humbucker cover would have to be cut all the way down in order to break continuity around the perimeter of the cover.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The First Act pickups are plastic cases. Just 'two-shot' in dual color here. Most of them are a single color -- all black. They are quite nice sounding pickups, lower internal capacitance for similar output to many of the popular expensive brands, but of course since they came in $75 retail guitars imported from Asia most have never tested them out.

Here is a picture with the back removed showing the internal construction. I did a refurb on a First Act a while back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have since given this guitar to friends for their kids. I told them they won't get much selling it, but after the work on it they'll need to spend quite a lot to get one that plays better.

Zepfan and CFFF like this.
  12. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

The Bikini covers originated at the First Act Custom Shop that ran right outside Boston from 04 to 12. Pickups were generally custom wound Kent Armstrong's on those. Once production of the Asian made CE, ME, and now AL series got into full swing they kept on with that bikini styling. Some had covers some didn't but you could still see the outline. We call those Humpbacks and kind of their own thing. Close but certainly not Kent Armstrong's. Notice no humps on these. Those are First Act Custom Shop Kent Armstrong's 20190627_183141.jpg

Zepfan and CFFF like this.
  13. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

I found these strange looking pickups in the mid 80’s. Wish I still had them.

upload_2019-10-21_20-36-48.jpeg

brookdalebill and CFFF like this.
  14. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

In a humbucker, the induced voltages in the cover oppose each other because of the opposing magnetic polarity and so no current will flow, as long as there is no return path around each individual coil. A gap between the two coils guarantees that there isn't a return path so the perimeter doesn't matter. Unfortunately there isn't such serendipity with a single coil.

This assembly displayed virtually the same cover losses as a full cover:
    CIN_0420.jpg

In the following arrangement, the thick copper wire displayed almost no difference whether present or absent:
    CIN_0408.jpg
    But this generated huge losses:
    CIN_0409.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Antigua Tele likes this.
  15. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

It looks cosmetic. They could have just exposed the coils, but maybe they were just trying to achieve a certain look. The Filtertron uses a plastic sheet to protect the coils. The plastic certainly makes no electrical difference.

CFFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.