Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It is becoming very dangerous down there in the concrete jungle. Be extremely cautious when going outside. Confrontation is for trained people. Just call 911.

The one thing I hate about being an old man is, the only thing that still works as well as it used to is my big mouth! It still wants to go off at inopportune times like an errant car alarm in a busy parking lot. You are right of course, the day for handling things between you and someone who's annoying you are long past. They might possibly have on their person MORE than enough gadgets to completely disassemble you and just put the pieces down the drain.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The one thing I hate about being an old man is, the only thing that still works as well as it used to is my big mouth! It still wants to go off at inopportune times like an errant car alarm in a busy parking lot. You are right of course, the day for handling things between you and someone who's annoying you are long past. They might possibly have on their person MORE than enough gadgets to completely disassemble you and just put the pieces down the drain.
Yeah, I’m the same way in the days gone bye TD, then, once I finally purchased a semi auto pistol and took it to the range that I realized what “power” could be in anyone’s wasteband.:eek:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yeah, I’m the same way in the days gone bye TD, then, once I finally purchased a semi auto pistol and took it to the range that I realized what “power” could be in anyone’s wasteband.:eek:

That works for someone in your position. I live in a decent neighborhood, but like all the houses in California, it isn't far to any of my neighbor's houses. Funny thing about a bullet, it likes to miss what you're aiming at, and hit what you're not. There's little kids living all around us, I would rather just go ahead and let an intruder have whatever he wants than risk shooting someone by accident. I'm in no way impugning your use of a firearm for protection, it's just not real practical in my case.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
we have a new neighbor (just a year or so) next to us. We wave hi and sometimes they wave back. they are gone on fridays sometimes and so, like my neighbor does on the other side, I put them up so no one thinks nobody is home (our road is fairly busy) they are very quiet....

I was a little confused by the part of your post I quoted here. What is it you put up because the new neighbors are sometimes gone on Friday and you don’t want people to think no one is home?

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
That works for someone in your position. I live in a decent neighborhood, but like all the houses in California, it isn't far to any of my neighbor's houses. Funny thing about a bullet, it likes to miss what you're aiming at, and hit what you're not. There's little kids living all around us, I would rather just go ahead and let an intruder have whatever he wants than risk shooting someone by accident. I'm in no way impugning your use of a firearm for protection, it's just not real practical in my case.

images (5).jpeg

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I took a hardcore “home defense” course 30 years ago with only shotguns, just because of the issues you raise. Part of a pump shotgun is the sound of the action cocking is usually enough to send an intruder running, plus accuracy is not as vital. A really informative class with lots of training. Of course, it doesn’t play well on Miami Vice.:rolleyes:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I took a hardcore “home defense” course 30 years ago with only shotguns, just because of the issues you raise. Part of a pump shotgun is the sound of the action cocking is usually enough to send an intruder running, plus accuracy is not as vital. A really informative class with lots of training. Of course, it doesn’t play well on Miami Vice.:rolleyes:

Shotguns are the thing for home defense.

Or maybe a really, really powerful leaf blower!

Last edited:

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
I prefer mine loaded so I don't have to rack it. And semiauto so I have one less worry under stress. To each their own.

Screenshot_20211008-224807_Gallery.jpg

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I've heard this tale of the racking sound scaring folks off for a long time. I personally wouldn't want to be close enough to someone for them to hear that sound. If they are dumb enough to break in, how close are they listening.

I have also heard that shotguns can penetrate through walls as well so same challenges apply about knowing what's behind your target and know what your aiming at.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I was a little confused by the part of your post I quoted here. What is it you put up because the new neighbors are sometimes gone on Friday and you don’t want people to think no one is home?

on trash day (friday) if people are gone, their barrels don't get put away, so, because our road gets lots of traffic, we all look out for each other, if someone appears to be gone, we put their barrels up. Everyone else is always grateful and our other neighbors have totally helped us out... these neighbors are not genial that way... they are kind of quiet and reserved, not unfriendly but odd.

We just kind of accept it... the neighbors across from them asked us 'are they kind of weird?' and we laughed and just said, 'I think they are quiet' what is kind of funny is the wife puts out these 'welcome friends' flags etc but is not very welcoming!

I have had two or three brief conversations (when they first moved in their fence fell and I repaired it (it connects to my front fence, so, I didn't want mine being pulled down) when I showed her what I did (it is still working great) she nodded and asked what I did for a living. I told her my title and she said, 'does that mean you make a lot of money, I don't know how much money is in this town.' huh? I just smiled and said, 'well, we have 3 kids in college so we don't have any money! and I laughed.

Weird, but not creepy.

Commodore 64

Friend of Leo's
Our doggo freaked out like yours. And it turned out to be a sex offender prowling and leaving graffiti (secret code?) near the elementary school. Golden retriever who never met anyone she didn't love. Except that dude, whom she spotted about 150' away. Kinda makes you think.

If someone breaks into my house, while I'm upstairs sleeping, provided I'm now awake and aware of it, they will get a warning to take everything they want down there. Then they will hear the racking of shell into my 12ga. If they start to come up the stairs after that, then I'll be pretty sure it's OK to pull the trigger. God I hope that never happens.

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Your neighbor needs to be in the regular habit of putting that porch light on. Replace the 60watt incandescent light with an 8watt LED light. Back door too.
Use a motion light across their back yard (too often deer and raccoons will trigger but that is ok).

Dogs, cameras, and lights make one house less attractive than the next.

Of course, don't post on social media what your whole schedule is, like those FB/etc posts of "look at us at the beech for the next two weeks!"

iu

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
We have a very large, but docile 110-pound/50 kg/7.86 stone Dogo Argentino. We call him Hank; he is my daughter’s constant companion, and looks very intimidating.

He’s afraid of our 7-lb Silky Terrier.

One nice thing about the Big Dog is the fact he doesn’t growl or bark often…I say “nice” because he’s a house dog, and when he does growl or bark, it’s terrifying…it sounds deep and huge, like Sam Elliott rebuking you from the depths of hell.

We adopted him over a year ago, and I’ve only heard him bark twice and growl three times. I’ve never seen him “lose his crap” and go after anything.

However, there’s a man—50-55 years old, Caucasian, balding, medium build and height—who’s been roaming our neighborhood at odd hours of the day and evening.
This guy triggers something in Hank.
When the Strange Traveler walks by, Hank’s hair in his neck stands up, he growls menacingly and will bark if the guy dawdles very long in front of our house.

Hank sees him, because Hank’s “television” is the front picture window—we leave the plantation shade high enough that he can see what’s happening in the front yard…we also allow this because it also discourages anyone who does walk by—a 110-lb dog whose head is larger than a slim person’s torso is a good deterrent.

The last time this guy lingered very long on the street in front of our house, Hank growled, barked, then roared, and nearly knocked himself out trying to get to the front door so we could allow him to go kill the guy (Hank’s not real graceful, and hit his head on a dresser and a door frame to get to the front door).

Hank lost his crap.

We obviously did not allow Hank to go kill the Strange Traveler, and by the time I figured out what was happening, the guy was well down the street.

After last night, I’m re-thinking my decision to prevent the confrontation between Hank and the creeper…

Last night (really, this morning) at 2:00AM, the widowed octogenarian that lives across the street called me.
I’ve known her since I moved into the house in 1991. She’s sharp as a tack and sweet as pie, and isn’t prone to nervousness or fear. Plus, her 24-year old granddaughter lives with her, so she has some companionship and “backup”.

She nervously asked me to look out in our front yards (directly across the street from one another) to see if there was someone prowling there. Earlier in the night (around midnight) she and her granddaughter heard something rustling through the leaves between her house and the one next door…they assumed it was a possum or an armadillo (a tactical attack possum?) and thought nothing of it; but at 2:00AM, their dog’s hair stood on his back and he “pointed” toward the front door, at the same time the doorknob rattled. Her granddaughter was still awake and reading in their front parlor, so she was less than 5 feet from the door—this wasn’t something she imagined.

I quickly put on my glasses, grabbed my Louisville Slugger and looked out my front door window (it’s high enough that you can’t see into our house, unless you’re almost 7’ tall, but I can see out, if standing on my tiptoes)…Hank was silent, but scanning the yard from his post near the picture window.

I saw nothing in my yard or hers. However, her front door/porch is pitch black, and if someone were standing there I couldn’t have seen him. After I was fairly positive he wasn’t on my front porch, I walked outside and scanned the street both ways (empty). I moved to a position to where I could see her doorway; she had turned on her front porch light, but I didn’t see anyone.

I called her back and told her to call me if anything else happened, and have her granddaughter call 911.

Needless to say, I didn’t go back to sleep.
My wife is now freaked out.

Neither of us have a doorbell or security camera, but I’m about to invest in something for our home (and encourage her to do the same)…

Does anyone have any suggestions of what type or brand have been reliable, easy to install and easy to monitor?

and before you ask—yes, I have a gun (or several…my wife finally acquiesced); and no, I don’t want to shoot someone who might just be a creepy-but-harmless modern-day Boo Radley…but he might also be a modern-day Dennis Rader, too. :mad: Unless it’s a severe case of harm happening to my family or neighbor, it’s not my place to shoot or kill someone—hence, the simple (defensive) baseball bat I carried last night.

I use Wyze cams. They start at $29?/camera and are awesome cameras. They also, have one that turns 360 degrees for $39. I have 4 around my house and 4 more inside. All, for less than you pay for a 1 or 2 cameras anywhere else. They have monthly security you can get just like everyone else. I recommend those. They also have cheaper doorbell cameras and other smart devices like locks, thermostats, bulbs, etc... Wyze was started by 3 people who left Amazon specifically to start a smart device company that offers phenomenal products affordable by ANYONE.

www.wyze.com

You can see the app used to monitor it all and a view from 1 camera taken 30 seconds before posting this

Screenshot_20211010-005143_WyzeBeta.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-005238_WyzeBeta.jpg

I've posted about my strange 'hood happenings at Strat Talk. I have a crackhead neighbor and his gf that come outside with a flashlight when it's night time(every time...only people I've ever seen do it) and half the time, he's looking around on the ground to make sure he hasn't dropped any dope. We're talking digging in the grass, shining the flashlight all under the eaves of the house and all sorts of crazy crap. I posted pics from my security cameras, also. Lol!

I have security cameras because after I moved in, I went in my backyard one morning to find my wooden gate wide open. Thing is, you had to jump the 6 ft fence into my yard to move stuff out of the way open it. And it was all moved.

Here's the kicker. The night before, I had been carrying protection with me when I let the dogs outside because I had this distinct feeling either someone was in my backyard or I was going to open to door and be face to face with someone. Then I come out at 6am to look around and see if I see anything odd and my back gate is WIDE OPEN with everything moved. The thing about this is 99.9% of the time I just let my dogs out so they'd have been GONE if I did it that morning. But I didn't because I was sure someone had been in my yard and THEY WERE. I got cameras that weekend and had a Trail Camera up until then. Yea. I was more than shocked. And I'll never NOT trust my gut EVER AGAIN.

I know all about extra large and docile lol. My 130 lb female French Mastiff is a big baby lol. Shes the best!

That 2nd pic is just about the same look I get when I try to bite her ears. She gets MAD! :lol:

20210815_145223.jpg
20210406_182954.jpg

I loved, "it sounds deep and huge, like Sam Elliot rebuking you from the depths of hell..."

keep them coming @Fiesta Red

I can attest to this fact. Except Roxie likes to bark. Especially at my other dog, a female chocolate lab about half her size exactly lol. You'll be standing in the hall and all the sudden, out of nowhere, she's barking directly in the other dogs ear and now it's booming through the hall so I jump about a foot off the floor. Every single time lol. Here's those 2 knuckleheads below :lol:

Edit: just to be clear, it's not an angry bark whatsoever. It's more like "hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" and it's hilarious. Every time.

...and Ian of Forgotten Weapons with a Panzerschreck, I believe?

IMG_20210927_060454_901.jpg

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Yikes. Love those Argentines, we have a 120lb female Bully who behaves the same. When she barks, it's for real and it scares the wife and I a bit owing to the rarity.

For cams: We have two of the Wyze cameras, one's the fixed 'cube,' the other is the 'Pan.' Each have microSD slots for storage*, the former is $35 (we have a first generation) and the Pan is about twice as much... $75 or so.

The latter does what it says and can be set to identify and follow/track movement and start recording upon movement. We only plug that one in if we need to monitor the dog while we're away. The cube stays pointed at our back yard.

With both, you don't need to have a cloud account or monthly service, they don't 'partner' with local officials, and the phone app is great (on iOS at least, I assume it's similar quality on Android).

Good luck with your situation... hopefully this guy is captured on camera just attempting to do something and there is enough consequence to make him stop.

*If you want to get supernerdy, you can route their recorded output to a NAS. My wife's old work station is provisioned as a FreeNAS for this purpose, but we never record the output.

The new Cam Pan V2 is 39.99 from wyze?

And to add one other thing, you don't need anything else to run the cameras. No $150 central hub or anything like that. Plug em in, set up your wifi through the app so they connect and they're done. My first cams were outside multiple years in Louisiana with just a few issues not caused by the weather.

I started with a bunch of V1 Pan cams and a few older V2 cubes, both with crappy B&W night vision, and replaced most of the V1 Pan cams with the V3 Cube with color night vision after I realized I don't particularly need all the 360* coverage outside. That and this newest Pan cam V2 hadn't been released when I bought the Cube V3s

Screenshot_20211010-010418_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Find out who the guy is and put him on notice that you're watching. Preferably do it by daylight.

I live way back in a developed neighborhood full of culdesacs. I'm at the far far end.

We had a creeper that tried to snatch a child from the park about a mile away He was renting a room in the 'hood. He'd post on Facebook to girls dresses for sale and such. Before I knew who he was he was on my cul-de-sac riding his bike with his dog. I introduced myself and saw him a week or two later and he remembered my name and greeted me by it. (I had already forgotten him...bad me).

His behavior would ramp up as weird and people would see him around with his bike and his dog. And post about it on Facebook. He was well known in the various communities.

At the other end of my street the HOA after much legal wrangling put up no trespassing signs. (technically we're a separate HOA in this giant development). I called and it turned out the were because this guy was standing on the common property yelling at people. (Way back in the neighborhood remember?)

Anyhow it all ends with this guy abuptly. He lost his rental room in the neighborhood (forced out) and moved to a busier area of town nearby. Since he rode his bike everywhere he ended up getting hit by a car and dying.

The point is not that he got run over just that everyone in the neighborhood knew this guy was an issue. Legally, I would not make introduction with your guy with a baseball ball in hand. That already sets precedent.

Somebody tried to snatch me from school when I was a small child. 6 or 7 yrs old, I think. Whoever it was had my entire name and I don't remember what else but they tried to pick me up from school one day. Luckily the Secretary in the office personally knew me and felt like something was wrong and didn't let it happen. It takes my breath away just writing this. It's not something I think about all that often, unless my mom brings it up for some reason.

After burying my daughter and only child 7 years, 3 months and 5 days ago, due to her mother's recklessness and carelessness... I can faithfully say I'd never want my mother to go through something like that. Never.

Unfortunately I can also say that I know the feeling of not knowing where your child is. Mine wasn't kidnapped by a stranger but by her own mother. I had no idea where they were and I told myself Id search for my child forever if I had to. I was gonna find her. And I did about 2 or 3 months later with no one's help. In an entirely different city. It's a hell of a feeling.

Maybe this is why I'm so wound up all the time... Who knows...

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Somebody tried to snatch me from school when I was a small child. 6 or 7 yrs old, I think. Whoever it was had my entire name and I don't remember what else but they tried to pick me up from school one day. Luckily the Secretary in the office personally knew me and felt like something was wrong and didn't let it happen. It takes my breath away just writing this. It's not something I think about all that often, unless my mom brings it up for some reason.

After burying my daughter and only child 7 years, 3 months and 5 days ago, due to her mother's recklessness and carelessness... I can faithfully say I'd never want my mother to go through something like that. Never.

Unfortunately I can also say that I know the feeling of not knowing where your child is. Mine wasn't kidnapped by a stranger but by her own mother. I had no idea where they were and I told myself Id search for my child forever if I had to. I was gonna find her. And I did about 2 or 3 months later with no one's help. In an entirely different city. It's a hell of a feeling.

Maybe this is why I'm so wound up all the time... Who knows...
Oh man. My heart goes out to you.