Strange Happenings in My ‘Hood

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fiesta Red, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

We have a very large, but docile 110-pound/50 kg/7.86 stone Dogo Argentino. We call him Hank; he is my daughter’s constant companion, and looks very intimidating.

He’s afraid of our 7-lb Silky Terrier.

One nice thing about the Big Dog is the fact he doesn’t growl or bark often…I say “nice” because he’s a house dog, and when he does growl or bark, it’s terrifying…it sounds deep and huge, like Sam Elliott rebuking you from the depths of hell.

We adopted him over a year ago, and I’ve only heard him bark twice and growl three times. I’ve never seen him “lose his crap” and go after anything.

However, there’s a man—50-55 years old, Caucasian, balding, medium build and height—who’s been roaming our neighborhood at odd hours of the day and evening.
    This guy triggers something in Hank.
    When the Strange Traveler walks by, Hank’s hair in his neck stands up, he growls menacingly and will bark if the guy dawdles very long in front of our house.

Hank sees him, because Hank’s “television” is the front picture window—we leave the plantation shade high enough that he can see what’s happening in the front yard…we also allow this because it also discourages anyone who does walk by—a 110-lb dog whose head is larger than a slim person’s torso is a good deterrent.

The last time this guy lingered very long on the street in front of our house, Hank growled, barked, then roared, and nearly knocked himself out trying to get to the front door so we could allow him to go kill the guy (Hank’s not real graceful, and hit his head on a dresser and a door frame to get to the front door).

Hank lost his crap.

We obviously did not allow Hank to go kill the Strange Traveler, and by the time I figured out what was happening, the guy was well down the street.

After last night, I’m re-thinking my decision to prevent the confrontation between Hank and the creeper…

Last night (really, this morning) at 2:00AM, the widowed octogenarian that lives across the street called me.
    I’ve known her since I moved into the house in 1991. She’s sharp as a tack and sweet as pie, and isn’t prone to nervousness or fear. Plus, her 24-year old granddaughter lives with her, so she has some companionship and “backup”.

She nervously asked me to look out in our front yards (directly across the street from one another) to see if there was someone prowling there. Earlier in the night (around midnight) she and her granddaughter heard something rustling through the leaves between her house and the one next door…they assumed it was a possum or an armadillo (a tactical attack possum?) and thought nothing of it; but at 2:00AM, their dog’s hair stood on his back and he “pointed” toward the front door, at the same time the doorknob rattled. Her granddaughter was still awake and reading in their front parlor, so she was less than 5 feet from the door—this wasn’t something she imagined.

I quickly put on my glasses, grabbed my Louisville Slugger and looked out my front door window (it’s high enough that you can’t see into our house, unless you’re almost 7’ tall, but I can see out, if standing on my tiptoes)…Hank was silent, but scanning the yard from his post near the picture window.

I saw nothing in my yard or hers. However, her front door/porch is pitch black, and if someone were standing there I couldn’t have seen him. After I was fairly positive he wasn’t on my front porch, I walked outside and scanned the street both ways (empty). I moved to a position to where I could see her doorway; she had turned on her front porch light, but I didn’t see anyone.

I called her back and told her to call me if anything else happened, and have her granddaughter call 911.

Needless to say, I didn’t go back to sleep.
    My wife is now freaked out.

Neither of us have a doorbell or security camera, but I’m about to invest in something for our home (and encourage her to do the same)…

Does anyone have any suggestions of what type or brand have been reliable, easy to install and easy to monitor?

and before you ask—yes, I have a gun (or several…my wife finally acquiesced); and no, I don’t want to shoot someone who might just be a creepy-but-harmless modern-day Boo Radley…but he might also be a modern-day Dennis Rader, too. :mad: Unless it’s a severe case of harm happening to my family or neighbor, it’s not my place to shoot or kill someone—hence, the simple (defensive) baseball bat I carried last night.

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

Yikes. Love those Argentines, we have a 120lb female Bully who behaves the same. When she barks, it's for real and it scares the wife and I a bit owing to the rarity.

For cams: We have two of the Wyze cameras, one's the fixed 'cube,' the other is the 'Pan.' Each have microSD slots for storage*, the former is $35 (we have a first generation) and the Pan is about twice as much... $75 or so.

The latter does what it says and can be set to identify and follow/track movement and start recording upon movement. We only plug that one in if we need to monitor the dog while we're away. The cube stays pointed at our back yard.

With both, you don't need to have a cloud account or monthly service, they don't 'partner' with local officials, and the phone app is great (on iOS at least, I assume it's similar quality on Android).

Good luck with your situation... hopefully this guy is captured on camera just attempting to do something and there is enough consequence to make him stop.

*If you want to get supernerdy, you can route their recorded output to a NAS. My wife's old work station is provisioned as a FreeNAS for this purpose, but we never record the output.

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's

^^ Oh, and both have "night vision" modes that work way better than you'd guess and I think the functionally can be enabled either dynamically (the default) or via schedule.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On the surface, this does sound like a suspicious situation, and a possible cause for concern. Do you have any idea where the guy lives? With the weather turning a little cooler, I've noticed a few more "strollers" (not baby strollers) around my block, but if someone stopped and seemed to be "evaluating" a house, I'd be concerned. It's great that the lady across the street can call you. (For those who don't know, Dennis Rader was the guy known as the BTK Killer) As to taking a bat out to check.....what if the guy was there with his own firearm? If I were to go outside, I'd grab a gun, a flashlight, and a cell phone. (they're all easily grabbed) But first, I'd try to find out more about the guy, and maybe his intentions.
    Good luck, and I'll watch for you on the local news. ;)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

WOW! That is a spooky story that was well written. I’m going to use the “tactical attack possum” line. That’s priceless

If you haven’t already given a heads up to the cops do so. That way there’s a record of the event(s) if something does happen.

Home security systems are becoming big down here. I see the Ring in a lot of places as well as cheapo Home Depot camera systems to multi-thousand dollar systems.

I’m not any help as we don’t have anything. The neighbor to the south has cameras and iron grates on all of their windows and doors. Can you say paranoid?

6. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

I'm sorry that you and your neighbour are going through this.
    Are you able to walk your dog on a leash?
    Nothing wrong with this stranger seeing you out in the hood with a large dog.

7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a ring doorbell that detects motion, captures video and alerts when it does. Works pretty well as long as your wifi gets outside well.
    You might also check out Arlo's. They allow you to record video locally rather than via cloud subscription.

Next time he comes through the neighborhood you may want to take your Dogo for a walk and see where he goes.

8. ale.istotle

Also, if you are able maybe set your neighbor up with a motion detect light at each door.

9. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

I get a fair amount of attention when I am out painting with my easel.
    I'm usually standing in a weird spot for several hours, sometimes at night.
    People approach me to ask what I'm doing, doesn't bother me in the least.
    This guy might be a writer battling writer's block, or a fellow suffering from a physical ailment.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It is becoming very dangerous down there in the concrete jungle. Be extremely cautious when going outside. Confrontation is for trained people. Just call 911.

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man.... that's a spooky story and just in time for Halloween! ;) Seriously though, ya'll be careful. There's lots of nuts out there these days and one simply cannot be too careful. FWIW - years ago I installed faux cameras at a property we have and they look so real, it stops people in their tracks when they come up to the door to sell something etc. Not saying you should get faux but, in a pinch, they're cheap and "look the part" and readily available. Real cameras are so cheap and good these days, it only makes sense IMO to install em, and don't forget to post signs too! Be safe man...

PaulNYC, nojazzhere and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Holic

+1 on the Arlo cameras but make sure you get the hardwired ones with battery backup. The rechargeable batteries need changing weekly and they're a pain to change out especially if they're up high and you need a ladder to reach them.
    The Arlo app is pretty good but sometimes you have sync issues with the cameras that has to be sorted out.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it probably wasn’t very wise to go out there with a baseball bat…I had my cell phone.
    If he did have a gun and intended to use it, my own gun wouldn’t have done me any good anyway…I’d be dead before I aimed.
    Also, from what I’m reading/hearing about the school shooting yesterday in Arlington/Mansfield, it was a case of someone losing their cool with a gun available (that may or may not be true—just preliminary reports)…I don’t want to shoot someone unless there’s no other option, hence I rarely carry—I don’t want the option to be handy…I know that sounds weird coming from a Native Texan.

I made a report to the police this morning. They said they’ll step up patrols in our neighborhood…we’ll see.

I wish I was clever enough to have come up with the “armadillo=tactical attack possum” line, but I misappropriated it from a vine a friend sent me; my band is the Screamin’ Armadillos, so he knew I’d get a kick out of it.

Yes, we walk Hank around the neighborhood regularly. People are very aware we have a large, intimidating dog.

14. ale.istotle

Ring doorbell battery is less needy. I charge about every 2-3 months. Of course it only records when it detects motion or it is pressed.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Holic

Someone testing out a door at 2AM is a very escalated situation. I’ve heard, but can’t remember where, that thieves want to avoid confrontation. Trying to enter a house when someone is clearly up and present would indicate the would-be intruder is there for them. I’d suggest talking to the dawdler, in case it is him. Let him know in some way that you, Hank, and your neighbors are a unit. I don’t know, I’m not incredibly adroit in those situations. But my thought is to let him know something was heard and seen, and when it comes to welfare of the hood there are no holds barred. This is not to be a tough guy macho thing. It’s intended to let him know you and your neighbors are alert and a tough target in case that kind of thing is on his mind - which you don’t know at this point. Maybe someone else can translate my vague idea into something actionable.

16. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Wow - have you ever considered writing a suspense thriller novel? That post was GRIPPING!

Sounds like you've already got the world's best "security system" - HANK.
    And I would bet the law would look the other way if you decided to let him go greet the nice man.

I'm more concerned for the gals across the street - after all, Mr. Pervo tried their door, right? Maybe they need to borrow Hank for a couple weeks.

If you decide to confront Mr. Pervo yourself, you might want to re-think what you have in your right hand so you don't end up bringing a baseball bat to a gunfight.

You can call 911, but by the time the cavalry arrives, most of the fireworks are usually over.

You asked what brand of security system we all prefer - mine is made by Sig Sauer.

Mouth, faulp, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I agree and at least fiesta red is in Texas

Around here you’d be more likely to end up in jail for the rest of your life with the criminals having the law on their side.....

Like the burglars that get injured breaking into someone’s home only to sue and win..:its a strange world we live in

Not to bring the p.... thing into it

Only thing I can suggest is to check out the security isle at Lowe’s or Home Depot

PaulNYC, Rockinvet, RobRiggs and 2 others like this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

how about activity sensor lights...for you and your elderly neighbor

could the guy be stalking the 24 y/o grand daughter?

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My 40 lb. Weaten is sweet as sugar. We nicknamed her brown bear. She patrols the bay windows over the porch. She greets anyone she sees through the window that she doesn’t know with a display of dinosaur teeth and bark that shakes the house. 911 is pretty effective where I live. There’s always a cruiser in the 7-11 at the end of the block.

Fiesta Red and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I loved, "it sounds deep and huge, like Sam Elliot rebuking you from the depths of hell..."

keep them coming @Fiesta Red

Wound_Up, faulp, Timbresmith1 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.