1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strange flange effect from unplugged 1983 Peavey Patriot. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by _MementoMori_, Mar 6, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

It's all the way up and down the fretboard, but most pronounced from around the 9th fret up. It really does sound like a switched on flange pedal and honestly kinda cool. It's not noticeable through an amp. The guitar, if you're not familiar, has a toploading bridge with 6 barrel saddles. It's a weird sorta S-type/T-type hybrid with vintage style tuners and a S-type ash body.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Could it be that the action is set perfectly-low, and (when fretted) the strings are right on the edge of fretting out, and very nearly into the sitar-sound?

Just thinking out loud.

I've had too much coffee.

:oops:

northernguitar likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Maybe. It does have the lowest action of all of my guitars. I hadn't even considered that - I guess it would make that sound from just lightly grazing the fret tops.

northernguitar and Sparky2 like this.
  4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Anybody else? No other ideas on why my guitar sounds like it's haunted by the ghost of Ravi Shankar?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.