Strange caps in my Tremolux

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gemini5, Jun 24, 2021.

1. gemini5

gemini5 TDPRI Member

I recently got my '64 Fender Tremolux out of the closet & pulled the chassis to clean some scratchy pots & was reminded that I have never figured out who made these wonky looking capacitors! This amp was a bit of a basket case when I acquired it about 20 years ago and these funky caps were part of that. Once I removed the trashed 12" Celestions someone had squeezed into that little cab & installed some 10" speakers on a new baffle board I thought it sounded really good! Much more "thump" than my SFDR!

Anyway, here's a photo of the circuit board, if you know who made these caps, I'd love to know. I'm guessing the 08.77 is a date code. BTW, the amp still sounds great

IMG_5272(1).jpg

teletimetx likes this.
  2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

The logo on the black ones indicate Siemens/Halske. Good quality replacements. Metalized plastic foil types. The white ones look like Wima but could be something else instead. If you can find the original blue molded caps I would prefer those, but I could certainly live with the ones that are in the amp now.

3. gemini5

gemini5 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply, Antoon. Someone sure went to a lot of trouble to replace all the original blue molded caps, maybe in pursuit of a different sound, but these are all stock values if I'm reading the schematic right. If I was unhappy with these I might consider replacing with something else, but to my ear they work just fine.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome aboard!

I am a fan of the Tremolux also. Mine came from a science teacher in Montana who was the original owner, but it was just the head only - had to build the cab myself. I also think a 2X10 is a great match for this amp - became my regular gig amp until the pandemic…

so here’s what that looks like:
    76B1CAFC-E6C4-466E-A770-4D950949DE97.jpeg

gemini5 likes this.
  5. gemini5

gemini5 TDPRI Member

That's a mint looking Tremolux! Mine's got a few small dings, but not too bad. I'll post a pic when I get done renovating it. I still need to put new grill cloth on the cab, and I'm thinking of trying some of the aged stuff at Mojotone to try & match the head. I notice you jumper the channels, is that your normal setup? I've read about doing that & wondered if you got more gain. I'm also curious what speakers you put in your cab & whether you made it closed or open.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.