Strange but true

TelePrince

NEW MEMBER!
I do hope this is a new topic: we all know that Jimmy Page recorded many Led Zeppelin tracks on a Tele when common belief would be that he used his famous Les Paul...so, are there any other artists that are typically known to play other guitar models, that actually recorded tracks in the studio on a Telecaster? The weirder or more surprising the better in a strange but true kind of way...like if Mark Knopfler used a Tele to record Sultans of Swing!

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
My understanding: Page played a Tele on the first album. Then he switched to a Les Paul, but he did play a Tele on the Stairway to Heaven solo. He did not secretly play a Tele on albums while playing a Les Paul on stage.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Jimmy used a tele on LZ's first album but a large part of the tone was his Supro amp. The Les Paul like tone came
from playing that bright tele through a rather dark sounding amp. You can accomplish the similar sound by running a
tele through a Silvertone 1482 with a slap back delay and a touch of reverb. No I don't work for Sears:>)--besides, their
out of business!

Last edited:

shallbe

Tele-Meister
There is a whole lot of Tele tones on the later STP albums. Dean DeLeo is known as a LP guy, but plays a lot of Teles, as well as a LP Special, to get more cutting and clearer tones.

blackbelt308

Tele-Holic
Pete Townshend is mostly associated with SG Specials and Les Pauls during the late 60s and 70s. But nearly all of the guitar work on Who's Next and Quadrophenia were recorded using a 1959 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins through a Fender Bandmaster (gifts from Joe Walsh). He almost never played the Gretsch in concert (wouldn't hold tuning).

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I do hope this is a new topic: we all know that Jimmy Page recorded many Led Zeppelin tracks on a Tele when common belief would be that he used his famous Les Paul...
Yup... all of Led Zeppelin I as well as the solo to Stairway, at least.

so, are there any other artists that are typically known to play other guitar models, that actually recorded tracks in the studio on a Telecaster? The weirder or more surprising the better in a strange but true kind of way...like if Mark Knopfler used a Tele to record Sultans of Swing!
My main example would be Ace Frehley(also known as a Les Paul player):

80955_0_wide_ver1540418535.jpg@642

Here are the interviews:

My next example is Jimi Hendrix(TL;DR - The Purple Haze solo is played on a Telecaster):

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Howdy and welcome!
Joe Walsh used a Tele on Funk #49, though he is often thought of as a Les Paul guy.
Joe Walsh playing tele…. Page playing a tele…, page got his les Paul from Joe….

Is there a connection? I don’t know, we’ll yea kind of…

There’s a pretty good video of Joe playing hotel California live in 77 in largo MD, he’s rippin it up on a tele, I’m not sure if it’s still on YouTube though, I’m also not sure what he used in the recording

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Yup... all of Led Zeppelin I as well as the solo to Stairway, at least.

My main example would be Ace Frehley(also known as a Les Paul player):

80955_0_wide_ver1540418535.jpg@642

Here are the interviews:

My next example is Jimi Hendrix(TL;DR - The Purple Haze solo is played on a Telecaster):

Good one! Ace! Didn’t even think about him

He used a ovation breadwinner on the first kiss album A825121F-9379-47EB-91F1-E3B36341D3F4.jpeg