a Dutch forum member, Javaca aka Jan van Cappelle, of Gitaarnet.nl/forum
made on of these guitars
he wrote the book to about masonite guitars
I tried 10 times to post that link and couldn't get it all 🤔😂😂😂

tomi

Tele-Holic

KidCharlemagne

TDPRI Member
There are, I think, five Stradivari guitars in the world. This is the only playable one. I suspect that like most Stradivari violins, it is heavily rebuilt. Some are said to be like the ship of Theseus - so much replaced that it is hard to determine if it can even be called original. Another Stradivari guitar is in the Ashmolian Museum in Oxford, UK. I saw it a few years back. They keep it tuned down to prevent is self-destructing.

Bob
I worked at the Ashmolean museum as a gallery assistant when I was a student and spent hours drooling over the Stradivarius guitar there. It’s a stunning instrument.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I worked at the Ashmolean museum as a gallery assistant when I was a student and spent hours drooling over the Stradivarius guitar there. It’s a stunning instrument.
Lucky you! We enjoyed the Ashmolian and all its Ashmols. :D They presented things well and were pleased to show their back catalog if you asked. For instance, my brother is a student of reformation artist, Albrecht Durer. When they found out, they took him over to their back catalog and allowed him to see all of their holdings that weren't on display.

Bob

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
And Paganini played them The video clip is interesting; that's a lot of resonance from such a tiny body- not I guess a big surprise from Stadivarius. I find the guy's right hand technique interesting- a pretty strange angle of approach, but it seems to be dictated by the shape of the guitar.
My elbow hurt just looking at him play.
Was surprised to see him throw in some abanicos in there

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't generally (even when I have it) throw money around for plans, especially if I'm just toying around with an idea. But this body is tough to get my head around. The 657mm scale version is a start

The MS750 in the middle is the victim here lol 🤣. Taking 660mm (the closest fretscale I have) that gets us one measurement as these are all 12 frets clear of the instrument clear of the body with 660mm that's ALMOST 13" between the body and headstock, that's a beginning. With (according to the PDF and other references I have) the body generally accounts for 57% of the overall length, that puts the body at (very roughly) 19" in length, much longer than the average baroque. From the PDF this is the rough outline (in purple)
I had an outline I thought might be about right but after extending slightly to 19" it doesn't seem right. It's only a fraction over 12" at the lower bout but apparently that's bigger than the original. The Dutchman gives the formula for working it out with circles but not being a geometrician or CDC drawing wizard I'm a tad stuck. Any ideas?

Attachments

• received_512291193567800.jpeg
    received_512291193567800.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
And Paganini played them
Paganini was known for playing a guitar made by Jean-Nicolas Grobert in Paris, ca. 1830. He probably played ones made by Luigi Legnani as well, who he personally knew. These Staufer style guitars are very different from the earlier Stradivari guitars, and as far as I know Paganini never owned one, he may have seen, and even tried played one briefly, but it was never part of his collection, but I am prepared to be surprised and proven to err. One thinks of Guarneri when the name Paganini is mentioned, seldom Stradivari.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Paganini was known for playing a guitar made by Jean-Nicolas Grobert in Paris, ca. 1830. He probably played ones made by Luigi Legnani as well, who he personally knew. These Staufer style guitars are very different from the earlier Stradivari guitars, and as far as I know Paganini never owned one, he may have seen, and even tried played one briefly, but it was never part of his collection, but I am prepared to be surprised and proven to err. One thinks of Guarneri when the name Paganini is mentioned, seldom Stradivari.
You won't be proven to err by me- I merely meant that he played guitars. The headline was "Stradivari Made Guitars"

Last edited:

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
In reading the PDF I'm finding things I always suspected. Strad made the necks out of high grade quarter sawn spruce (same species as the top), veneered with curly maple and bound with "bog oak", which is as the name says, oak buried over centuries and very black. Used as a substitute for ebony by Stradivari and many others. It seems many luthiers did this as this was a way to build without a patron affordable instruments for musicians, not just the upper class.
I've known all my life about using fruit trees for tuning pegs (as ebony goes out of round easily and is expensive. I've seen pegs here in the mountains carved from apple but apparently Strad also used wild cherry and plum 😁.
Also, the 657mm scale this guy built? Was only 500 grams 😲. Apparently from the paper templates Strad only used two braces on the top, none on the back,cloth paper and twine kerfing on the back and pre-glued little blocks to SET the top but not glue it to the sides, just directly glue the top to the sides 🤔. Lol anybody else doing this we'd call a hack (the original Hofner Verithin comes to mind) but apparently this results (along with his own batch of fresh hide glue) in a very strong, resonate and light instrument. Not that I'd let Pete Townshend close to it but hey 🤣🤣🤣🤣

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Though his didn't actually have one (and no not doing a bird joint headstock) I have this choice in fretboard, maple or sycamore. Both used and period correct 😉 (and yes, that is fret material 😂)

Attachments

• received_673134470716871.jpeg
    received_673134470716871.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 11