Story on Waylon's Tele?

BadTele

Tele-Meister
Caught the Waylon Jennings story last night, and I was wondering what was up with his telecaster? Is it carved, or is that real tooled leather? Who, what where, when? Doesn't seem to be much info on the Fender site....

Big Tony

Friend of Leo's
Waylon Telecaster

An old copy of Fender Frontline from 2001 calls it a "white rose inlay". If my memory serves me right there was a tdp:er that made a hand tooled pickguard in white leather, and gave it to Waylon.
Ole Fuzzy, are you out there?

beez

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the whole guitar (a 53, I believe) is covered with leather, and stiched together at the edges of the body.

As far as the tribute tele goes, it just have a piece of leather attached to the top.

threadbare

Tele-Holic
I Want One

Is there anybody out there that makes these covers like waylon. The only website I know of is Mosby Guitars, and he says he'll do anything but Waylon's design.

I've even heard of people making removeable zip on covers, but I've only seen one of those and it was on TV.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Waylon's tele was a 1968

According to the Guitar World article published after Waylon Jennings died, the Tele was a 1968 stock tele, a sunburst that he had modified by a saddle maker who taylored that Leather body case with the white leather roses.

verway.jpg

But I now found out that he had a second one, a 1953 Tele destinguished from the other one by having a black pickguard.

53tele.jpg

That one was sold when Waylon's family moved. the 1968 tele remains with them.

beez

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The body covers all cool 'n all, but......

How do the effect the sound of a solid body guitar? I remember seeing pictures of Elvis with his leather cover on his Martin, and thinking that that guitar has to sound like it's made of cardboard! No doubt the effect would be less on a solid body, perhaps even barely noticeable, but it has to do something, right?

Of course, neither Elvis nor Waylon were known for being hot pickers, so I'll give them a passing grade just for being so damn cool!!!!

And yes, I want one too!!! Who has the name of a good saddle maker??? Or for the do-it-yourselfers out there, where can you learn how to carve roses and leaves on a piece of leather?? I might even take a shot at it myself...if I could find info on that kind of stuff!!!

Indybeez

threadbare

Tele-Holic
Re: The body covers all cool 'n all, but......

Of course, neither Elvis nor Waylon were known for being hot pickers, so I'll give them a passing grade just for being so damn cool!!!!

You need to check out The Dvd Called Waylon Renegade, Outlaw, Legend. It contains a concert called The Lost Outlaw Prefromance where Waylon Plays all of his lead parts. It sounded like he made it up as he went along, but it still sounded great. I wish I could pick like Waylon.

threadbare

Tele-Holic
I think Waylon said one time that he had Four Old Tele's with the Leather Cover, and then of Course A Fender Signature Model that they gave him.

jericho60

formerly ye olde fretmonkey

threadbare said:

You need to check out The Dvd Called Waylon Renegade, Outlaw, Legend. It contains a concert called The Lost Outlaw Prefromance where Waylon Plays all of his lead parts. It sounded like he made it up as he went along, but it still sounded great. I wish I could pick like Waylon.

Agreed. Waylon made the most of the chops that he had and played a lot of cool diad/triad stuff that worked great in his songs. Another one of those cases where 'simple' and 'easy' aren't at all synonymous with each other.

threadbare

Tele-Holic
Waylon Article

Here's the first part of a Vintage guitar Article:

Vintage Guitar: You’ve probably got the most recognizable guitar in country music.
Waylon Jennings: You mean the Tele? It’s a ’53. Actually, I’ve got three of them.

Fender recently did a Tribute series Telecaster.
Yeah, they’re good guitars. I came up with most of the ideas on it. The guy who did the leather works name was Turner. If you would’ve seen that thing before the leather was put on it, it was something (laughing). ’53s are my favorite. Two of mine are ’53s. This one plays good, but I’m afraid to open it up. Afraid it’ll disintegrate (laughs)! It’s still got that pretty good pop. I keep two of the old ones up on stage with me and a new one. Every once in a while I’ll go back to them. Everything’s not exactly right with [the new model]. The Scruggs tuner thing, you know? I don’t like the tuner Fender used. When it pulls down (on the low E string) you can’t do the slow thing. It’s either/or. It’s a kind of a switch. And if you bring it right down to it, it’s in the way. You’ve got to go plum around (demonstrating with left hand) with it. I went back to Scruggs tuners on the ones I’ve got

beez

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

threadbare said:

I'll check it out!! Thanks!

HullettAmps

Tele-Meister
Waylons Pickguard

I was blessed enough to get to work with Waylon and Reggie and all the boys and girls from the band the last couple of years that Waylon Was touring. I was responsible to get the gear ready for the road. As a present for Waylon after giving me all the work I had a guy hand tool me a leather pickgaurd to give to Waylon. Thinking that he would put it on his signature telecaster. But the day I brought it to rehersal for him he had his #1 tele there and told me to put it on that one..I have the pictures somewhere I will dig them up and post them if you want me to...take care Clay Hullett

threadbare

Tele-Holic
Hey HullettAmps do you know anything about that concert I mentioned in my other post. Was it suppose to come out on Video?

HullettAmps

Tele-Meister
I also thought they were going to come out with a video. all during the time of that concert there was a bunch of videoing going on during the rehersals and the videoed both nights....I wish it would come out...they were wonderful...Clay

threadbare

Tele-Holic
Thanks for letting me know that I'm not crazy and that I didn't make up the whole video thing. I think its cool that you got to work with Waylon. We may have to start another post where you tell us some Waylon Stories. I always like hearing a good Waylon Story.

Johnny Isaacs

Tele-Afflicted
Waylon actually had six of those leather covered guitars.

Waylon has always and will always be a hero of mine.

He had his #1 the '53, here with Clay's pickguard:
newleather.jpg

Here's another one from the 70's:
waylon33.jpg

Here's Waylon and Johnny Cash with two of them!
tvweek.jpg

cash-waylon.jpg

Later in Waylon's years, he started using EMG's in his Tele. In '99 before he moved to Arizona, he sold his Nashville home and several items, including some Telecasters. (and a General Lee!)

Waylon Rules!

Johnny Isaacs

TeleGeir

Tele-Afflicted
I saw one on eBay last year

A leather cover like Waylon's that is. No mention of it being one of his. so I guess someone has been making them.

It came on a guitar, but no mention of what it was, so I guess some el cheapo copy or something. Price if I recall was too much for just the leather...

Geir :)

0le FUZZY

Former Member
Hay Clay Hullett

<li>I got the CD and thanx my fren!!
<li>Waylon never gits old !!
<li>I preciate yew a sendin the memories my way.
<li>It waz alwayz a joy tew be back stage a lookin at Waylons TELECASTERs and wunnerin if the leather is watt made em sound sew good or the Twins and knowin in yer heart that it waz the MAN who made it all sound sew good.
<li>I wunner iffin Reggie Young still has that old one of Waylons? I'd lay ya dollar tew a donut he duz and ain't a gonna turn it loose.

<li>I got ta stand where he stood but who will ever fill his shoes?
<li>I dew miss the MAN but still haff his music. ....I still stand in awe of the Outlaw legend.
legend.jpg
where.jpg

sig.gif