story about a favorite dive?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by yegbert, Sep 24, 2021.

1. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is about a crab house.

Here in Maryland, steamed blue crabs are a popular part of culture. There are carryouts, roadside trucks that cook them where they park for the day, and sit-down restaurants that serve them, many along along with other seafood. Some are blue collar faves, because steamed crabs were once apparently relatively inexpensive. They are commonly called “crab houses”. They usually serve cold beer, good to wash down the crabs. Fun places to eat if you don’t mind the mess of breaking open whole crabs and licking the spicy seasoning that is on the shells. Some use old bay, some other similar stuff. I learned about the existence of crab houses when I was enlisted in the USAF.

I met a good friend while hanging out at one. He got me back into playing teles, eventually introduced me to the gal who’s now my wife, and gave me my nickname “yegbert”. He heard Danny Gatton playing in one, and while there had Danny carve his autograph in the back of a his (my friend’s) Tele with a pocket knife. We drove to Danny’s house here when he was still alive and I bought Unfinished Business from him personally. I had only recently heard about Danny, I didn’t think to ask for an autograph. :eek:

The crab house where I met my friend was GENA’s, named for Gene and his wife Nancy who ran it. Many years ago it shuttered as a crab house and the building was since remodeled as a church. I’ve never been to it. I call it “Clinton First Craptist”. (Pronounced like Baptist, I and the people I know pronounce the “p” in Baptist like a “b”.)

[​IMG]

nojazzhere, drewg, as5431 and 2 others like this.
  2. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

My favorite dive closed years ago. I only ever went as a teen so no booze. It was called Foggy’s Notion across from the Sports Arena in San Diego. They fried and served their wings whole(rather than in segments) and used a hot sauce mixed with strong vinegar.

dented likes this.
  3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

There was a little place up the street that used to let us kids in to play their Dig Dug machine. I think it was still in business when I became old enough to stop in for a beer but I never did. Not much of a story, I suppose.

yegbert likes this.
  4. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

The Hot Spot, a long-gone blues club in Fort Wayne. Saw Debbie Davies there on 9/11, and my wife and I were the entire audience for Phillip Walker one Thanksgiving Eve.

Dave Hicks

5. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Love dive bars, only places I go for a beer. I have found that dive bars, biker bars, etc are much less likely spots for bar fights.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Captain Tony’s Key West.
    Many things hanging from ceiling and etc. they do have water bowl for dogs to get a drink. That’s nice.

7. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

We had a great little bar on the ohio river. It was mainly a motorcycle hangout. It got flooded one too many times and the owner never re-opened it. Sure do miss that place.

8. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Oh boy, I’ve got a few dive stories… I’ll start with this:

1979. I’m in Atlanta going to grad school. Phone rings about 9:30 pm. I pick it up and hear blasting Chicago blues. After 30 seconds of that, I hear my friend screaming “get yer ass down here, Rose’s Cantina on Spring St. just north of The Varsity”.

So I jump in my car and run down there. Pull into a parking lot filled with Harleys. The band was The Nighthawks; and they were blowin’ the lid off the place. My friend had called from the pay phone on the wall inside.

The hawks played there pretty regularly, and I saw them many times there. Once I took my girlfriend. As soon as we sat down at a table, drinks started arriving for her. The waitress would say “this one’s from that guy over there”, and some biker would smile and wink. We made it through a set, but I couldn’t even get up and go to the bathroom, couldn’t leave her alone at that table:lol:

brookdalebill and BB like this.
  9. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

I spent some time on the Eastern shore of Virginia on the Chesapeake and we blue crabs, too. I think they used to get bigger back then

yegbert likes this.
  10. Super30

Super30 TDPRI Member

I wonder if Gena's was named Sam's crab house before it was Gena's? My wife used to hang out at Sam's back in the 80's. Not too many crab houses in Clinton. She said they used to have bands there. I didn't come to the area until the late 80's.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  11. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

Todd Snyder tells a real funny story about a dive bar, somewhere outside of Luckenbach,
    Texas: [Todd Snider - The Story of the Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern]

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For members in Ft Worth, you might remember two musical "dives" I loved. One was less a dive, and more a restaurant with live music called The HOP. (House of Pizza) Saw some great musicians there, while eating the best pizza Ft Worth ever saw. The second place didn't last long, but it was Zero's New Wave Lounge. It was on E. Lancaster at Beach Street, and was truly a "hole-in-the-wall". This would have been late-seventies/early-eighties, and "New Wave" was more a catch-all term for "different". This was where I first saw Brave Combo (Nuclear Polka band), The Ft Worth Cats, and Schwantz Lefantz, who could (and did) play ANY genre.
    I guess I should also mention a notorious club, The Cellar, which is where MANY musicians played in their early days before going onto international fame. (ZZ Top, Bugs Henderson, John Nitzinger, Johnny Carroll, and even John Denver and comedian George Carlin) We always heard stories of dangerous activities going on, although we never witnessed any.

13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not certified, so I don’t have a favourite dive, but I’ve done some great snorkelling near Loreto, BCS.

:D

drewg, yegbert and dented like this.
  14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yah, half roll to flat on my back at 7,000ft in a WWII BT-13...split S and then the noisiest snap roll.

BANG!

Me: "WHAT WAS THAT???
    Dad: Locking tailwheel won't stay locked. Ignore it.

I was 9yrs old. Strapped to a boat seat cushion so I could see out. I couldn't reach the pedals...great dive though. :D

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

When I travelled to Tasmania, where Justin Sandercoe comes from, you can dive and get Crayfish, scallops, abalone and oysters !
    I got some, not far off shore, just pick a rocky place.:)

yegbert likes this.
  16. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

No, Sam’s was a different one. I went there once, it has now closed too.

I didn’t come to the area until around 1984 myself. Having met my wife here with her calling it home, we are still here for now. I was here when each of Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan passed away. I saw Danny at the Birchmere once, he played a double neck and his beer bottle slide. I never say Roy. Both southern Maryland Tele slingers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Super30 likes this.
  17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I lived in Ensenada for 8 months and there was a little dive bar there call El Sarape. It's a about a block from Tres Cabezas on Diaz. It was just locals and not much to it inside. The old bartenders name was Estrella and he would serve cheap drinks and in between he would pick up a guitar. It was an old small body classical with nylon strings. He would play and sing and he had a beautiful voice. Then if anyone wanted he would pass the guitar around and you could play and sing.
    We mostly just drank tequila in a water glass with a bowl of cut up limes close by, it was great.

Supa Necta likes this.
  18. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Nobody uses the term “dive bar” properly, anymore.

Which is fine because the people who (falsely) claim to love them are to be avoided.

19. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

It was in Norway

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It wouldn't be a thread about dive bars if it didn't include this sh!thole...

[​IMG]

I did a 2 month residency there (1:00am slot, Thursdays) as a warmup to recording an album. Sharpened us right up, because the running joke was if you made a mistake on stage you had to go and use the men's room.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.