1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Storing pickups

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Jan 19, 2021.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Holic

Most of my build until recently were with cheap Chinese pickups and I never put much thought into how to store them properly and protect them. I've recently ordered a few sets of better pickups and was wondering how should I store them? What I mean is should I keep the pickups separate so they don't affect their magnetic fields, or can I just store them together without affecting their quality and specs?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

As far as I know, there's nothing in this type of magnet that would wear out over time and keeping two magnets together doesn't cause them to lose magnetic pull. The only wear that pickups tend to get is on the electronics themselves (like corrosion), but if stored in a dry place, I don't see how anything would go wrong.

newuser1 likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I put them magnet to magnet per someone I trust. But if you want the straight poop PM Barncaster, he's da man :D

Wallaby and Dereksys38 like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've wondered the same. I got some shipped pole-to-pole, so I've been storing them that way.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I like to keep mine separate from each other just so there's no polarity issues and keep them away from metal that could weaken them or electronic media(hard drives/memory in computers/tablets, cd's/dvd's).

6. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I usually store mine in separate drawers or boxes from each other. Just for my sanity and me thinking the magnetic pull might mess with ito_O

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It won't damage or degrade the magnets by storing them together.

If you've ever bought magnets (any type), they come all stuck together from the supplier.

What damages magnets is extremes of heat and rough handling/impacts/shocks. If you drop a magnet it can weaken it or sometimes even reverse the polarity.

More importantly for pickups is the fragility of the coil wires: if they're bare pickups (no box), wrap them in several layers of heavy paper and write what each pickup is on the outside wrap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.