Storing Pickups Together

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Peter Rabbit, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

If I place my spare pups together in a bin, do I run the risk of them de-magnetizing each other?

2. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

In theory, yes. However, you and everyone has been doing it forever and they always still sound great when you put them in a guitar. If you were Seymour Duncan you would know how to measure their magnetism and how to recharge them. He also makes them on purpose with less than full magnetism to get a more mellow sound.
    I'm going looking for information about recharging pickups with one of those big neodymium magnets. Maybe I can get the plain third string to not be so loud.

3. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

I bought some custom Strat pickups from Don Mare and he specifically warns against storing pickups together where the magnets have the potential to come into contact. Thought I had read about this somewhere before, but in sorting through a box of miscellaneous guitar parts I came across the instructions that were included when I bought the pickups.

4. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

If the magnets are in a position where they attract, the field is increased and the effects of demagnetization are actually reduced. Humbucker sets can be safely stored stuck to each other that way. Opposing magnets are another story.

If you just toss pickups into a bin, you are risking physical damage to the coils and other parts.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just be careful with reversed polarity sets. They tend to reproduce and in a matter of weeks you'll have pickups coming out your butt. Damn thinks are like rabbits. ;)

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I store mine like this. Keeps my fridgerdater tidy too!

*Note: No affiliation with Granville Guitars except as a still satisfied customer...

1492613762467.jpg

mr tom, zippofan and Derek Kiernan like this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sorry for going all sideways on you all. It's straight in my gallery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.