Storing guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Neener, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

I know the preferred way is upright, but I don't really have the space. Yall think its ok to store guitars in their case, on their sides?

0.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

They should stand straight imo

Skydog1010 and Neener like this.
  3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I was taught that either straight up or on the side is OK. Flat is not.

Greggorios and Neener like this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You get to decide! By way of example, however, I have two guitars and two banjos, over 40 years old, that were stored on their sides in cases up until abt four years ago...no issues. Cheers!

Mr. Neutron, Steve Holt and Neener like this.
  5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Ideally, they say to store 'em in their case upright or on their side.

But, we've all heard of old guitar's stored flat and found under the bed, where they lived for many year's.

I believe a lot of them survived quite well to be sold as pristine, vintage guitars'.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it matters how you store Fender style guitars in cases as long as they are above water and not next to a furnace.

7. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Yes they are above sea level! Lol

Mr. Neutron and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Avoid basements and attics.

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Or lay flat

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I have never stored my guitars upright!

I've been storing my guitars (acoustic AND electric), for the past 40 years, as shown in your pic. No issues whatsoever. ;)

Neener and Marc Morfei like this.
  11. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

OK what possible difference to the guitar can it make to lie the case flat, or on the its side, or standing up on end.
    Really what difference does it make?

Jim622, stormsedge and Mr. Neutron like this.
  12. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

I don’t know the science behind it, but fenders website mentions storing upright as preferred storage. This led to me asking question.

Maybe gravity causing warps in neck over time?

13. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Hmmm in a proper case it wouldn't matter because it's all supported, maybe because if something falls on it while its flat, the guitar gets damaged, where as if it's upright less likely.

Neener likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

15. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Working as a tech for touring musicians and seeing instruments subjected to all manner of carelessness, solid body electric guitars can take quite a bit more abuse than they generally get credit for.

As long as they're packed securely in a decent case...upright, on their sides, stacked...whatever.

They're fine.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Skydog1010, Vibrolux59 and Neener like this.
  17. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

What’s best for both daily and long-term storage?

By Jeff Owens

If you have one guitar or several, it’s worthwhile to know a few basic practical tips about how to store them properly, especially if it’s for a few months or more.

If you're playing your guitar on a regular basis and want to keep it at arm's reach, using a wall hook or a stand are good ways to go. A wall hook will keep it off the floor while still displaying it to the room through a U-shaped grip that will hold it by the headstock, while a stand supports the guitar by its base.

And, of course, you can always store your guitar daily in its case, which will keep it perfectly safe and sound.

1 - Store your guitars in their cases, standing up — not lying down with one case on top of another. When storing several guitars, the cases should look like suits on a rack rather than a giant deck of cards. If standing them up isn’t an option, store your guitars (in their cases) on their sides, with the upper side pointing up.

2 - Keep the string tension on the neck, but loosen the strings one or two half steps. They don’t need regular tension when in storage, but having no string tension at all can lead to neck bowing problems.

3 - If possible, store your guitars in a room or a closet nearer to the center of the building rather than near an outside wall. This helps maintain a constant temperature and is especially helpful if you live in an area that experiences climatic extremes. A case humidifier is a good idea during dry winter months.

4 - Store vibrato-equipped guitars with the arms detached (the lone exception here being Bigsby vibratos, which can be folded back to rest below the top of the bridge, which is the highest point on the guitar).

18. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

if i`m forced to store one on it`s side i always make sure the high E string is on the bottom and the head stock is pointing between 8 and eleven degrees east of magnetic north. of course i`m kinda superstitious

19. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ve stored instruments for many years flat on their backs in a case and have never encountered any issues

This question was raised before and someone actually mapped out a chart with string tension being more of a factor and any traditional way they are stored should be fine

rand z, Skydog1010 and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I stored a Gibson les paul traditional in tune in its case on its side for 9 years and it played perfectly after a quarter turn of the truss rod. It had a fat neck but was still less stable than all my fender necks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.