Stories about selling gear to famous musicians

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I have always had a love/hate thing going with Rickenbackers. The last one I flogged off was the limited edition 75th Anniversary 660DCM. I had let my local guitar shop - GuitarGuitar, Edinburgh - know that it was up for sale and they got back to me saying the had a buyer: Andy Scott from Glam Rock band, The Sweet! Got a good price for it, too.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I sold an Epiphone Flying V to someone who used to live next door to Liz and Robyn of Cocteau Twins before they moved down south. He said they were lovely but in saying that I should never have sold that V.

I was talking to the owner of my local music shop last week and he was saying that a guitarist in a relatively well known Scottish band used to come into the shop and always try to really chisel him down on prices until one day he called him a "miserable bstrd" at which he left never to return.
I wonder who that is...........

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My wife's Steinway piano was once owned by a Hollywood doctor, during the golden era, who's clients would come over for parties at his home and play on it. He was a "doctor to the stars" back in the 40's through the 60's and pretty much all the greats from that era played on it e.g. Danny Kaye, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, etc. etc. etc. He was really good friends with James Coburn and we were told that James would come over quite a bit, and played on it a lot. Sadly there are no autographs or anything on it, so we can only go by what we were told at the estate sale.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
I sold an Epiphone Flying V to someone who used to live next door to Liz and Robyn of Cocteau Twins before they moved down south. He said they were lovely but in saying that I should never have sold that V.

I was talking to the owner of my local music shop last week and he was saying that a guitarist in a relatively well known Scottish band used to come into the shop and always try to really chisel him down on prices until one day he called him a "miserable bstrd" at which he left never to return.
well they do say that copper wire was invented by two scotsmen fighting over a penny.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
While I was serving in the Navy, I had a shipmate, about 15 years older than myself, who had worked at Bearsville in the early days. He would often cross paths with Todd Rundgren and the story goes that my friend sold Rundgren his van just before being shipped off to Viet Nam after being drafted. I, personally, an unable to verify any of this other than my friend's word.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Not just Scotsmen: ABERDONIANS!!

There's a joke we used to have about the sheep=shaggers: An Aberdonian once dropped a Pound coin and knocked himself out bending down to catch it.
I love the regional ribbings that go on in Tartanastan.
A Fifer once told me on finding out I was from Glasgow:
"Oh you lot hide the bingo money under the soap!"

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Back in '80 or so, I was kinda young and kinda broke. A club owner I knew called and asked if he could rent my DR amp for a Jonathan Richman show. Fifty bucks? You bet. After the show, (which was great) JR asked me if I would be willing to sell him the amp. I thought about it, and said it would be a thrill to have him playing through my amp, but I would likely end up spending the money on food or something; then I would have neither the amp, nor the money. He was very nice about it. That night is a memory I'm still fond of. I still have the amp, and use it regularly.

jonathan-richman-and-the-modern-lovers-perform-on-stage-in-london-in-picture-id166315724.jpg

RiverDog

Tele-Afflicted
Shortly before the start of the pandemic I sold an old Kustom 2x10 cabinet to Nancy Wilson's tech Jeff Ousley (you can see/hear him in at least one Rig Rundown video).

Last edited:

knavel

Tele-Holic
1) About a decade ago I had some 50s 13'' Zildjian Hi Hats. I sold them on eBay and the name of the buyer was "Zak Starkey". I was temped to say that the reason I was selling was because these hats sounded exactly the opposite of his dad's ones.

2) In the early 1990s there was a guy who had had a successful career in rockabilly but wanted to start a swing band and was looking for the right guitar. My brother had a 1956 Gretsch Convertible in the Recycler, the local classifieds in LA. Some guy calls and wants to check it out. My brother half listening forgot his name. Guy shows up and knocks. My brother can't see him behind the door but sees some classic 50s car in the driveway. Opens the door "Hi I'm Brian" (Setzer).

They talked for a long time but Brian didn't buy the guitar. :(

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I sold my 335 to a guy who's been in a couple of bands that played festivals and recorded albums in the 00's, he's not exactly a 'famous musician' though.

Think slightly below someone like 'The Kills'

It was weird seeing 'my' guitar on stage though.... really weird.

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1657041724417.jpeg

I built two amps for Xavier and Tomas of Fantastic Negrito who won the Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Blues album in 2016, 2019 and again in 2020. He used the amps to record his second record Please Don’t Be Dead.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not me but an acquaintance....he was living in L.A., and did a lot of buying, selling and trading gear. He had a bunch of vintage combo amps, (Vox and Fender mostly) and someone put him in touch with Robben Ford. Robben came by this guy's house, to check them out. They went into the room where they all were, and Robben asked if he could just play them by himself, alone, and "test-run" some. The guy said fine, and went in another room....and listened to Robben play solo for a couple of hours. Finally, Robben came out, and basically said thanks, I'll think about it, and left. My buddy thought well.....that was a waste of time. About a week later, he got a call from Robben, and he gave him three or four models, including their serial numbers, and said someone will come by and pick them up, and bring the cash. Strangest transaction this guy had ever had.....but made for a good sale.
The only amp I remember was included, which I thought was odd for Robben Ford, was a vintage Vox AC 30.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic

Aye. Given that I'm from Edinburgh, one of my favs was:-

'What's the best thing about Glasgow?'
'Seeing it in your rear-view mirror'!!!