Stories about selling gear to famous musicians

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I just sold a massive vintage 100 watt tube amp to a relatively popular psychedelic rock band called Dead Meadow, and really fell in love with their music. It's like psychedelic Hendrix/Cream crossed with stoner metal, with a bunch of ambient rock thrown in. They'll be using this for smaller gigs where they can't justify using their Thunderverb 200 (dear lord the volume must be incredible), and I really am hoping to see it on stage in a future live performance.

Some (most) of y'all probably have some good stories about famous musicians buying your gear. Any cool stories or encounters?

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have seen Dead Meadow at least 5 times and played with them once. Absolutely the loudest band I have ever heard. I love them.

I used to own a 1965 SG Special that the shop owner told me previously belonged to Ed King. He apparently played it with Strawberry Alarm Clock, not Skynyrd. There are photos of him playing an SG Special, and he did live in Raleigh, NC between being in Strawberry Alarm Clock and Skynyrd (I bought the guitar when I lived in Greensboro, NC), but I’m not 100% sure it was really his. I know this is kind of backwards but that’s what I got.

Oh wait, I did sell a MusicMan 65 head to Craig Ross, who has been Lenny Kravitz’s guitarist for most of his career. He wrote and played all the guitars on Are You Gonna Go My Way. I remember he had me ship it to New Orleans because that was where they were rehearsing for the upcoming tour.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Jason Simon of Dead Meadow is also David Simon’s nephew (The Wire, We Own This City, Treme, etc.). They got a mention in this scene:

SecretSquirrel

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Nothing Earth-shaking, but two cases of "one-degree-from-greatness":

Years ago I sold my old Teac 4-track reel-to-reel take deck to Bobby Goldsborough's producer. Very nice fellow. He said that Bobby, at the time, in the early 2000s, was still playing local clubs in Florida. The producer was retired up here and needed the 4-track machine to go through old tapes.

Later, I sold my '79 Ibanez 2640 doubleneck to the "Guitar Teacher of the Stars" in Los Angeles. He fell into giving guitar lessons to movie stars because he was discreet about the first one, and got referrals. I won't drop his name. ;)

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
I sold an unnamed pedal to a kid who was in a large empty condo in a beautiful so cal off the path completely residential development. He had only guitars for miles in the condo. He was extremely nice, and offered to hang out sometime and play. He said he had just left his band Mutemath. Cant say enough about how good of a guy he was even in the short moment there. They had been on the Letterman show just a few weeks earlier.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Oh my co worker just sold trogly a guitar, they met up... at a church. There were other details but I wont spill the beans. Sure trog marked up the guitar and moved it fast.

bebopbrain

Tele-Holic
I took my high school trombonist kid to buy (via Craigslist) a trombone case from, it turned out, Achilles Liarmakopoulos, a member of the Canadian Brass. Kid was suitably impressed by Achilles and his many trombones.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I have seen Dead Meadow at least 5 times and played with them once. Absolutely the loudest band I have ever heard. I love them.

I used to own a 1965 SG Special that the shop owner told me previously belonged to Ed King. He apparently played it with Strawberry Alarm Clock, not Skynyrd. There are photos of him playing an SG Special, and he did live in Raleigh, NC between being in Strawberry Alarm Clock and Skynyrd (I bought the guitar when I lived in Greensboro, NC), but I’m not 100% sure it was really his. I know this is kind of backwards but that’s what I got.

Oh wait, I did sell a MusicMan 65 head to Craig Ross, who has been Lenny Kravitz’s guitarist for most of his career. He wrote and played all the guitars on Are You Gonna Go My Way. I remember he had me ship it to New Orleans because that was where they were rehearsing for the upcoming tour.
Wow, that's awesome! I'm hoping to see them if they ever come by Houston (unlikely).

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
So now I have to spend some time listening to Dead Meadow, who were previously unknown to me. I'm liking what I've heard so far :cool:

A friend of mine tried to sell a Plexi to Brian Robertson once (ex-Thin Lizzy, was with 'Wild Horses' at the time, early 80s), but sadly they were both too hammered to get it together.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Sold my 60th Anniversary Pro Jr. "Woody" to blues artist Carolyn Wonderland.
IMG_1115 (2).JPG

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
So now I have to spend some time listening to Dead Meadow, who were previously unknown to me. I'm liking what I've heard so far :cool:

A friend of mine tried to sell a Plexi to Brian Robertson once (ex-Thin Lizzy, was with 'Wild Horses' at the time, early 80s), but sadly they were both too hammered to get it together.
I've listened to all the live songs on the Three Kings album like 3 times today. Loving Between Me and the Ground, Good Moanin, The Whirlings, and Everything's Going On. Just good hard heavy psychedelic rock with ambient vocals.

Wow, that's super cool!

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Lots, too much to mention.
That's because I worked at a major dealership between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
I did a lot of mail order business with a few NYC producers.
I dealt with numerous artists in the NE Ohio area on a regular basis, as well as here in town since then.

More notable might be gear I bought or took on trade.
I did a lot of live sound, recording and broadcast engineering back in the day, so in a lot of cases I was in the right place at the right time

I had/have at least two of the amps that appear in the first page of the "Seldom Seen Old Pics ..." thread.
A few speakers out of stage amps (reconed).
A famous 1974 Flying V (damaged), 1966 SG Special - scratched on the back from a jumpsuit.
Oh, and a FuzzFace (missing bottom plate and battery clip) that was left backstage on March 26, 1968.

The older I get the more I think it's all just 'stuff'.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I've done some engraved pieces for Radney Foster, Raphael Saddiq (?) and Chrissie Hynde, but that doesn't really count as gear.
Radney was the only one I actually met, and Raphael was the only one I actually saw using the piece.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
9ACF25C1-4172-47A7-9DBC-5086C190B90E.jpeg

I sold this ‘71 Jaguar in July of 2017 to help fund my Gibson J-45.
I sold it to a local collector/aficionado who told me he was a friend of a friend of Ryan Adams who was always on the lookout for Jags and that the guitar was destined to ultimately end up with him.
Perhaps it did.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I sold an Epiphone Flying V to someone who used to live next door to Liz and Robyn of Cocteau Twins before they moved down south. He said they were lovely but in saying that I should never have sold that V.

I was talking to the owner of my local music shop last week and he was saying that a guitarist in a relatively well known Scottish band used to come into the shop and always try to really chisel him down on prices until one day he called him a "miserable bstrd" at which he left never to return.