Stopping a dog from pulling

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Oct 20, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Which did you select? Thanks. Always on the lookout for new tools.

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

This^^
    Our little pup will pull like a sled dog. The first time I tried that walking collar it worked. She stops pulling instantly, but then takes off again, stops, takes off... She's pretty smart otherwise, so I think she'll get it eventually.

I think I misread Bones post. The dog stops walking, I don't. But it keeps her next to me as I walk, which I think she is understanding.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

60995478_10217905870335840_4738498144772292608_o.jpg

http://www.kristibenson.com/blog/2016/9/19/do-no-pull-harnesses-work

bumnote likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've had good success with click training, too, and you can combine it with the leash training.

The minute the dog makes a move toward the behavior you want to reward, click it. Then treat.

For leash training you could click as soon as the dog makes a move to return to your side.

It's important to remember the click is an audible to the dog that they've just completed a behavior, and the treat tells them there's a reward for that behavior. The click is *not* a signal that you want them to do something. To tell them you want them to do something you have to lure them, with a treat, with your voice, etc. Once they do it, or even act like they're starting to do it you click. Then treat. Treating consistently is important.

Once the dog will reliably move to your side, withhold the click until they're closer, then closer again, then toward your left side, then on your left side, then in heel position, etc.

Always have a bag of treats and make sure they know you have it. Treats they really like.

Strum und Twang likes this.
  5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Two ways of doing it.
    A REAL leather leash, not a retractable leash. When they pull snap it lightly, reminds the dog you're on he other end. You don't do it hard, but the dog is reminded that you're on the other end.
    If that doesn't work, it didn't completely with mine...that Beagle nose...I bought a harness like this:
    Eagloo Dog Harness No Pull, Walking Pet Harness with 2 Metal Rings and Handle Adjustable Reflective Breathable Oxford Soft Vest Easy Control Front Clip Harness Outdoor for Large Dogs Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GG99Z8/?tag=tdpri-20

Freaked my dog out, you pull on it and it basically immobilizes them in their tracks....without any discomfort. My dog would get this confused look of "why can't I move" when I used it, just reinforce it with a verbal command. I've got a VERY bad back and couldn't walk her thru the woods without that nose clicking on and her instantly following it. Works well if you have to walk a dog on snow or ice too.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This may sound cruel, but it's not really since they learn quickly that they themselves are causing the discomfort. You need a little longer leash than you normally use, I used make my own from buying leather at a leather shop. You put the dog's collar on, snap the leash on it, then run the leach down their back, and make a loop around the dogs belly just in front of their hind legs, put the leash back through, and now you have about a normal length leash. When they start pulling, it puts pressure on their stomach, and they quit pulling instantly.

When I was hunting hounds, I would train a young dog to stay with me after we had treed a varmint and were on our way back to the truck. Otherwise they would range out and strike another track, and we'd be there until they either treed or the track played out. After using this method for a few trips back to the truck, they usually would walk on a normal leash just fine. Another thing I used to do, was I had some short leashes only about a fifteen inches long that I would snap between a dog that would stay with me, and one the wouldn't. When the one dog tried to wander off, the other would stay and the errant one would soon abandon their ways and stay with me.

7. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Stop dead in your tracks as soon as the dog pulls. Signals that the party is over. Continue the walk after they chill for a few seconds. pick a command to use when they behave how you want and repeat that everytime they get the picture . You will have to do it over and over, it takes patience but it eventually works.use a harness not a collar, they can easily hurt themselves pulling hard with a collar.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Wallaby likes this.
  8. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

We used a Gentle Leader on one of our pups and it absolutely transformed her. Eventually she stopped pulling anyway so we stopped using it, but in her younger crazy days I was always amazed by how differently she behaved once I put it on her.

Flakey likes this.
  9. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Halti head collars work. I had two huskies who loved to pull, with Halti collars walking them was easy. They didn’t like the collars at all when I first tried them, and one pulled the collar from where I had hung it on the wall and chewed it up. But in time, they got used to the collars, and dog walking became much easier.

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

I went through training with a police dept trainer.Said he had taken a course in canine psychology. This is a behavior problem. Behaviors can be altered in a number of ways.Dog have a pull urge when "confined". A harness tends to cause a dog to pull more. As said, it mostly gives the person a better grip.the weakest part of a leash set up is a dogs neck. He had us with 6' leads and a chain collar.A quality chain. Cheap ones can have rough spots that hang up smooth operation. Being Alpha also is a role. who is leading who? I had an eighty + lb dog. I was lazy to take lead all the time.lol. But, remember, a dog well trained could save it's life. All depends what you want.
    my 2 cents

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

we have a leash with a second hand grip down near the clip if the dog pulls you have control, Harlo was clicker trained before we got him, and the first thing he did after we got him home was to break the clicker( he ate it) , your dog will learn but you will need to control his behaviour , the reward system works to some extent but becomes expepected , Harlo is very good off leash and comes when called no matter where we are , he will not let us out of his sight, unless there is a bear present and then he is uncontrollable period, that part is in his blood line. Harlo is 125 lbs

12. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

PetSafe harness.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Get a selfie stick and a piece of construction paper and a Sharpie. Write "STOP PULLING!" on the paper. Tape it to the selfie stick and when the dog is pulling... extend the paper so that it's right in front of it. That should solve all your problems...

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This has worked very well with a strong pulling spaniel/retriever cross. I want to quickly add a couple things: our dog was first trained extensively in the basic commands for as long as it took to do that (no, sit, stay, heel, “Here!” etc) and secondly that it’s not a total cure for very excitable dogs in very exciting situations, like a bird dog on a beach with dozens of shore birds begging to be chased. That’s more a recipe for continued training. But it does do a good job of showing a dog that’s not super excited that pulling isn’t gonna gain it much, if anything.
    20EB66F0-C2FA-4F52-8D91-D1575822DB2D.png

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a dog owner but I've enjoyed watching Cesar Milan's show for a number of reasons. I'm confused by what you mean though..what guy?..and what did 'this guy' invent?

16. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

real sled dogs can, and will PULL, all day, every day. if you have never been around them then you really don't have any idea what I'm talking about. it IS in their blood, they WILL pull, and WANT to pull hard. a mediocre looking sled dog can pull 5x as hard as a regular dog the same size. I'm not really a dog guy but I have helped my brother (who is a dog guy), help stable dogs from teams that won the Yukon Quest, and the Iditarod. note that I am in AK, I see these dogs in person every year. the dogs of that level are strong beyond belief, especially for their size. not the same a regular Husky, Malamute, Samoyed, or a Knik, or any others that kinda look the same.

so, like any WORKING dog he (she) needs to do what he was bred for. work him.... let him pull a load... whatever.... every day. if you don't he will be frustrated, and he will eventually eat the furniture and crap it out on the carpet

again... there is NO comparison between a retriever and a real sled dog. not even close. like, you can't even imagine how not even close....

EDIT: been thinking... truth is this is a dog that will never be a true "pet" in the sense of the word. it may be better to give him up to someone that runs dogs. doesn't have to be a racer, there are still people that use the sled in remote areas

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The "alpha" theory of dogs primarily came from a study done by a wildlife biologist named David Mech. He wrote a popular book on wolf behavior in 1970. Since then, he realized that his original theory of "alpha wolf" behavior was inaccurate and he withdrew it. But, by that time, some dog trainers had seized upon it and started using it with dogs, something he has also stated is incorrect. Milan carried on this flawed and once fading dog training method and repopularized via reality TV.

MilwMark and Bones like this.
  18. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Don't know if this method has been mentioned but all we did with our German Shepherd is simply walk in the opposite direction when he tried to pull. This way you will always be in the lead position. We practiced this in the yard for a few minutes before we went on our walks.

jvin248 likes this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Milan is a monster and no friend of dogs. It will take decades to undo the damage and misconceptions that he has caused.He's not even a certified behaviorist or trainer, he's just a dude on TV promoting outdated and discredited techniques.

MilwMark and bgmacaw like this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

This channel has some helpful hints.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.