1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

stop tail piece

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by speedy mcfeely, Aug 27, 2010.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I have a question about the stop tail piece on Les Paul style guitars. I have noticed that some LP players wrap the strings around the top of the bar ie. Joe Bananamassa, and Zakk Wylde; versus the traditional way of through the rear and out the front and over the bridge. Why is this done, and what advantages are there to routing the strings through the stop tail piece this way?
    http://www.helidriver.com/guitars/GuitarPics2.20.09/R8TopWrap2.jpg

versus traditional style.

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Never noticed anyone doing that before. It would change the break angle of the strings over the bridge, but I dunno...

3. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I think that's the reason for it. It reduces the break angle over the bridge, which might make it easier to bend strings -- or make it easier to use heavier strings. Maybe it also reduces string breakage for those who have that problem a lot. :D

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you don't top-wrap an SG or Les Paul or other Gibson-type guitar that has a tuneamatic bridge and a tailpiece, you're supposed to adjust the tailpiece mounting studs so the tailpiece height is be high enough that the strings don't touch the body of the bridge behind the saddles, and then up from there, if desired, to adjust the break angle, which affects the sound and the string tension a bit. Higher, the strings are slinkier, but you lose some balls from the tone.

If you top-wrap, you get good coupling, thus some increased sustain and resonance, given that the tailpiece is bolted tight down against the body, and you (hopefully) get approximately the right break angle as the strings wrap over the top of the tailpiece.

I personally like to use locking tailpiece studs (such as the TonePros ones) to be able to set the break angle exactly where I want with conventional through-the-tailpiece string mounting, but the locking studs couple just as well as a cranked-down tailpiece, and still allow fine tuning of tailpiece/ break angle, which the top-wrap method does not.

People who have tried both ways tend to prefer one or the other, there's no correct answer.

5. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, so it's less about string tension and more about being able to crank the tailpiece down against the body without having too sharp a break across the bridge. That makes sense to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.