1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Doctor Fauxcaster

Doctor Fauxcaster TDPRI Member

2. Doctor Fauxcaster

Doctor Fauxcaster TDPRI Member

I've owned a Baldwin -era Broadcaster for over 30 years and it is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I've had. Will never trade or sell it. f2a5b606c22c9e71b2582e97a0a34203.jpg

3. Fmalitz

Fmalitz TDPRI Member

At the outset, honestly, I really only know about the "normal" Gibson semisolids and the derivative 330 (actually, a student- type guitar compared to the semisolid's but still cool, along with its Epiphone counterpart-- now severely overpriced because of the beetle thing).

Here's one of the main advantages: when you're on stage, and playing fairly loud, you can play clean rhythm with wonderful tone with the volume control at about eight. As you start to solo, and bring up the volume, you get to a point-- usually wide open-- where the guitar begins to "sing". The tone fattens up and the sustain increases dramatically. Especially for genuine Chicago style blues, none of my premium solid bodies from Gibson or Fender can match up. The body begins to vibrate like no solid body guitar could possibly do, and it's vibrating against your body. You can feel the music. When this happens, I shut my eyes, sway back and forth, go to a special place, and am no longer aware of the audience, and I pour my heart out through my fingers. I can't get that affect with my Les Pauls, my Stratocaster, or my many Telecasters. Unless you're a pedalboard freak using tons of distortion, this is an exceptional guitar. I just plug straight in, sometimes with a clean preamp-- never anything like a tube screamer.

I have a dot-neck, a Dave Groll (actually a Trini renamed),an Epiphone Sheraton, and my main instrument, built only for me by Gibson in 1976 on a 1966 damaged Trini Lopez. Note the truss rod cover which they surprised me with my stage name-- Magic Frank Custom. It features deluxe binding and was entirely handmade. it's the only one in the world and I love it.
    I had it finished in BB King dark brown (Gibson called it Walnut). I'll try to attach a photograph. Blues God CROP FINAL.jpg

joebloggs13 likes this.
  4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. I owned both. The 339 came first, and just didn't scratch the itch. Once I got the 335, I sold the 339. It's a different beast. I found it closer to a Les Paul than a 335. The 339 is a great guitar, but I already own a Les Paul.

DADGAD likes this.
  5. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Screenshot_2019-10-30-19-51-13.png WITH THE DRIFTERS

My Historic made in Memphis "fat neck" 335. The guitar sounds and plays like a dream. Killer tone. It's everything a great 335 should be and I got it brand new at dealer cost $2600. I play it through a Princeton reverb my Dad gave me for Christmas 1975. The amp, pedalboard and guitar sounds heavenly.

I set the volume on the amp a little below 3. I have it mic'd up and coming back at me through my own dedicated monitor. The engineers tweak the monitor to my liking. My stage volume is very low but it's coming back through my monitor and most of the guys in the back lines monitor so it's almost omni present. And I can also
    hear my guitar coming through the Front system at a fairly loud volume.

And between the Cali76 compressor, my version 1 K.O.T. and my Ernie ball volume pedal i an get the guitar to sing at very low volumes. You'll be amazed how many more gigs you'll get just by having a low and controlled stage volume.

Screenshot_2020-07-24-16-53-23.png

Screenshot_2020-07-24-16-51-55.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Sorry posted pic by accident

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Don Rich Rules likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.