1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

How do you like the b7 bigsby on your falcon CB? I’ve heard the tension bar can be annoying- does it stay in tune ok? I ask because the b7 seems to be extremely unpopular on the gretsch forums, but I can’t tell if it’s for mechanical reasons or just because it’s not historically correct.

I love the new CB guitars gretsch has put out recently- it was the B7’s reputation that kept me from pulling the trigger and drove me to the 335 instead.

2. charliebrown51

charliebrown51 TDPRI Member

3. charliebrown51

I'm just a little crazy. That said, if I ever get another 335, it must have a Bigsby. Because reasons. I had an 80s dot reissue and let it go. Because I was crazier back then.

jayyj likes this.
  4. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

Find one with the best playing neck and lightest weight. As you get older, the lighter weight will grow on you.

5. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

I found a 91 335 studio with a broken headstock for $730. On eBay and it has the dots and binding with no F holes I bought it and repaired the headstock crack and it pretty nice have you tried one of the studios yet image.jpg

Treehouse likes this.
  6. Bitoblues

Bitoblues TDPRI Member

I say do it and go Custom Shop!

This may help inform your choice -

I have a pre-owned 2013 Custom Shop Bonamassa 335 that I picked up this year and it is simply awesome. So expressive and almost plays itself.

Hope the video helps - except you'll want one of each I suspect!!!

7. Arfage

Arfage TDPRI Member

Try a Heritage 535. I had one for a while and it was better than my 333 or '70 335, no comparison. '60 style neck and the body is just a tad thinner. Mine had Duncan '59s in it. At least try one before you decide.

8. DBDM

DBDM TDPRI Member

Personally, I think that the 335 is the single most versatile guitar ever made. It is number one on my list of "If I could only have one guitar". One thing I will toss out (may have already been said but I did not read all comments) is that no current guitar (I am aware of) has more variance than "USA vs Custom Shop" 335s. The 335 is a complex beast and the Custom shop models really really outshine the USA shop models for this particular guitar. Much different than Les Pauls which have a tiny variance. It is a big difference. Just my opinion (likely should be everyone's, but I understand that it is not).

Bitoblues likes this.
  9. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I hate having a 335 without a Bigsby - I get phantom Bigsby syndrome where I'm constantly reaching for an arm that isn't there... It's weird, I don't particularly mind about there being no Bigsby on my Tele or Les Paul, but on a 335 they're essential!

charliebrown51 and JamesAM like this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I know what you mean about the feel. I played a heavy LP for many years (and otherwise only an acoustic, which my brain expected to be different). Picked up a lightweight solid-body for the first time in years and it felt very odd. Just not right. Got used to it after playing for a while, now it feels comfortable.

11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

ES-339 bout 13.75"
    ES-335 bout 16"
    EX-SS bout 15" (Goldilocks)

I love the ES-339 (size and tone) and have two of them. I find the ES-335 just a bit more real estate than I really like.

But approaching the ES-335 size, there is the D'Angelico Excel EX-SS, which has 1" less in bout width than the ES-335. It is right in-between the ES-339 and the ES-335 in size.

My EX-SS has the full-hollow body, with only a very small block directly beneath the bridge, otherwise completely hollow.

The current EX-SS models do have a full-length center block (as the ES-339 and ES-335 both have) which is intended to provide feedback control.

Have a look at the D'Angelico, if you are so inclined. The 15" bout is a really nice size.

I decided to go with single coil T-Armonds in mine, but they come with humbuckers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    mr natural, gimmeatele and JamesAM like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Update: As it turns out my local Sam Ash had the Satin Dot in stock. I didn’t seem to mind the body as much as I have in the past. To my surprise, the neck was comfortable in terms of both size and profile. But.....I’m not a fan of the satin finish on the body or the neck.
    The body didn’t have any finish issues but the aesthetics left much to be desired. The neck had an almost orange peel look at the heel and you could see and feel the grain. Compared to the satin finish on a Fender neck it was markedly inferior IMO.
    So it’s a “no go” on the Satin Dot.
    On the bright side I’m encouraged that I found the body to be comfortable and that’s there is a comfortable neck profile.
    The ‘61 CS is my best bet but I have to come to grips with the cost.

Bitoblues and JamesAM like this.
  13. muncieman

muncieman TDPRI Member

100_2487 - Copy.JPG

Attached Files:

14. MiniMig

MiniMig TDPRI Member

I

15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

This thread needs some 335 toanz...

mcfree, Treehouse and JamesAM like this.
  16. MiniMig

MiniMig TDPRI Member

I was looking at 335's. Couldn't find one I liked enough to drain the entertainment budget. A friend swears by Gretsch and MADE me look at the latest Electromatic - their mid-line. They have been recently updated to include bound F holes and fretboard. I found one of the last Korean made 5622T's and basically fell in love. The quality of construction puts Gibson's QA to shame (short of the Custom Shop stuff), the neck is amazingly slick, the P/U's sound lovely to my ears, I love the look of the thumbnail fret markers, and the orange with aged binding is gorgeous! $800 with a HSC. Only time will tell if it'll be a lasting love affair, but at this point 2 years in the only thing I'd change (and still maybe will) is the Bigsby. Not a trem fan - hardly use it and the tuning issues are real. The extra couple of grand I saved went into a couple of acoustics.

17. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I actually really like the satin neck on mine- it’s almost exactly like a Martin hog neck to me, but I can definitely see how folks might not like it. I think a lot of the feel (compared to fender) might be the grain of the mahogany vs the smoothness of maple coming through. I think the satin finish neck probably includes less grain filling than a gloss finish to save money. The good thing is it gets smoother/glossier with more play.

and I definitely agree with you on the body finish. The satin is a much faster spray than the gloss, I believe, so they don’t worry about orange peel or runs as much. I worry as it gets shined up with body wear that some of the imperfections might become more apparent, but it’s no biggie.

Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you end up with! Looking forward to an awesome ngd post

18. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Guild Starfire IV 2002 Corona unplayed from new old stock. Recently purchased: paid $1200 with case. I have played a few 335's and from a tone and playability / feel stand point, the Starfire is better for me. IMHO! And, much more bang for the buck.

Attached Files:

19. charliebrown51

Not long after I got my Tele, I played one hanging up in GC that had a factory Bigsby. Within a month I ordered and installed one on mine-using the "modified Ashtray bridge" method. Zero regrets :)

jayyj likes this.
  20. mcfree

mcfree TDPRI Member

ES335 is one of the four icons. The good are fantastic the great magic. Played an exceptional '63 for many years that belonged to a late compadre and ain't found another that suits me so well. The ultimate GAS. To ease the pain at minimal expense I fished this out of the bay four years ago for <$400. Not a Gibson but a lot of fun for the money.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.