1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Commenting without reading the rest of the thread.

I have been gassing for a ES-335 on and off form many many years right now, but have come to the conclusion that the standard memphis versions are extremely uninspiring and bland. The only one out of menphis that I liked was the Rusty Anderson 59ri some five years back.

The CS stuff on the other hand can be very tasty tho and can sound absolutely stellar. If you really want that 335 then buy that custom shop 61ri with the thin neck you like.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's my current thinking. I am just waiting for a dealer to get back with me on the wait time and a selling price. If all goes well and I come to terms to parting with the cash, I will pay the deposit and have him order it. There's always the chance I will come to my senses and decide against it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I have a few late 60s Gibsons and the narrow nut doesn't bother me at all - one of mine is even narrower than they're supposed to be at 1 1/2" but it's pretty chunky front to back and I find I adapt to it really easily. I'm lucky in having slender fingers with a reasonable span so I can cope with small or large fairly easily.

Paulie13 and archetype like this.
  4. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Kill 2 birds w/one stone: Get a Gretsch Falcon (Players Edition... aka centerblock)... it’s like a 335 but pickups have a bit more clarity - date I say a bit better than a 335. I own both.

5. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I love your guitar room. Very cool!

Treehouse likes this.
  6. Jotoms

Jotoms TDPRI Member

I just bought a used Custom Shop Heritage H-535. I’ve had ES-335 and ES-LP, and the Heritage is definitely as good or better build as the Gibsons, and it was about half the price of a new Gibson so a no-brainer to me. I got the ‘58 which has a chunkier neck with no binding which I love, especially when I switch back and forth to Fenders.

08AC2025-1FF8-423A-972F-5483580CEC98.jpeg

Jake909, burntfrijoles and frank a like this.
  7. Razorpig

Razorpig NEW MEMBER!

I have a Full Figured 335, and I can't say enough about it, just love it to death. I play everything on it, blues, rock and everything in between. I had a 339, but I didn't like the small size, so it is really just preference.......good luck!

Attached Files:

spurgie79, frank a and burntfrijoles like this.
  8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I fell into a deal on a EPI 335 Pro to begin my trip into the semi hollow body experience, then had to have a Gibson ES 335. Something about the girth and warmth on these guitars, these two, along with a telecaster and a flat top, are within reach at all times.

9. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Hi there- I sold a gretsch anniversary Players edition which I LOVED to fund my 2020 burst satin dot (the exact model you’re looking at, pic in avi). I ordered it sight unseen from ams knowing that it was a twofold risk:
    - Gibson’s QA and if it has returned to form (if you look, there a lot of b-stock and scratch/dent things online from the factory)
    - the natural variance of 335 instruments

I got extremely lucky. The instrument I got is outstanding and lively, and the neck shape is perfect. It’s not a 60s slim taper, and it’s not a thick 50s U- it’s a C that’s very comfortable and somewhere in between. It fills my hand very nicely.

The bridge pickup is microphonic at high gain/volume, but I can put some tape on the slugs to fix that- I think it’s just the cover. The satin finish definitely has some orange peel, but it would only be visible if I buffed it out to gloss. I play loud, and there is no discernible feedback from the body- just the whistle from the bridge pickup.

The pickups are outstanding. I can’t find any information about the “calibrated t-types” anywhere, but I think they’re just 57s with alnico 5s. They’re really balanced and accentuate the highs very nicely.

I got the 335 because it would be more versatile than the gretsch, with better high fret access. It is both and actually feels better to me, although the quality of the gretsch is superior. Still, I find myself missing the gretsch sound, and have been gassing for a new 6120. If you’re torn between the two, I would take a look at the g6620 players edition. It’s a center block with filtertrons in gretsch roundup orange, and it looks like the perfect mixture of the two (with Japanese gretsch quality).

a 335 is a must try before you buy guitar, but it might be worth rolling the dice for one of these sight unseen. I will say the gretsch 6620 will likely be much more consistent model to model and likely won’t require a trial period (unless you want to try the neck and ergonomics).

best of luck, and of course, this is all just my opinion and your mileage may vary!

10. hackerguitar

hackerguitar TDPRI Member

Another vote for a Starcaster - the offset semi-hollow body is (IMO) far more comfortable than a 335. Plus it's long scale. I keep hoping Fender will do a 339-size (e.g., slightly downsized) Starcaster; it'd be amazing.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  11. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie TDPRI Member

May want to also consider the Ibanez AM153 (339 size) semi. I have the cheaper version, AM93 and it’s great. It’s a very comfortable instrument.

12. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I had a Heritage H535 and it was easily one of the best guitars I have ever owned. I got it on trade with a a G&L ASAT plus... for a 60 classic Les Paul. I got two great guitars in a straight trade for a very mediocre one... lol. But it was huge, and although I am very stocky (no, not fat at all... lol) I am also very short. I got tired of my bandmates razzing me about it... lol. " All I see is your head, and feet!" So, I sold it. Stupid... lol. That guitar played and sounded amazing.

13. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

The one I played was a Classic Vibe. I went back to get it a day or two later and it was gone. They are hard to find

14. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

How about a Coronado?

15. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

That's an amazingly beautiful guitar! Welcome to the forum Razorpig. -TP

spurgie79 likes this.
  16. tehuti

tehuti TDPRI Member

For me the size of the 339 would be perfect.

17. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

Another option you might consider is looking at Japanese-made models, either other brands or the Orville/Epiphones from the 1990s. There are several Japanese stores with shops online, such as Ishibashi, who might have some that you might like.

This is my not-for-export Epiphone/Gibson branded ES-335, which I bought for about $800 in Japan when I worked there. It's basically a stock ES-335 made to Gibson's specs, and it doesn't have that wonky Epiphone headstock which I can't stand. Beautiful thin neck, plays amazing, sounds great. I totally lucked out.

[​IMG]

oldgofaster, spurgie79 and JamesAM like this.
  18. Kansas

Kansas NEW MEMBER!

I could have written this post. I’ve owned a few ES335s and back in the 70’s I had a mid 1960 ES355. Hated the stereo Varitone on that. I’ve just never found one that I bonded with. The new Japanese made Gretsch Broadkaster Junior checks all the boxes including a thin neck. I might buy a Cadillac green one, but I still dream about an ES335.

19. kjatexas

kjatexas TDPRI Member

I searched for a 335 for years, before finding one that had great tone (to me). Finally bought a 2014 satin red finish, that had been on the shelf for a couple or three years, brand new and unsold. (Got a great deal on it.). It has '57 Classic pickups. Lately though, I am finding it a little big, and have switched to a 339, which I think sounds equally as good.

ES-335.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I've always loved the 335 but, the 339 is the perfect guitar for me. The only complaint I've ever had with either is the forward strap button. Once you've strapped up a Fender or even a Lester the strap button on the 335 or 339 just don't feel the same.
    I've just had to live with it because I love the 339.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.