1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I’d describe it as a full neck. What you would expect to find on a late 50’s 335. I have a Gibson Midtown semi hollow with a 60’s style neck. The 335 is fatter than that, but it is not a baseball bat neck. It’s just right. :cool:

burntfrijoles likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Used to have a 67 Riviera- great playing and sounding guitar. Unfortunately, my son who was around 1year old then accidentally broke the neck on the guitar. I had it in its case, leaned up in the corner, behind the front door. He pulled himself up on the case, which slipped down to the floor. The fall cracked the neck at the headstock. Fortunately, the break wasn't fatal (my son turns 39 in December).

I particularly love the sound of the mini-hums. They have the bite and sparkle of a single coiland the girth of standard humbuckers without the mud that many of them have. My current 335 style axe is an early 2000s Sheraton USA, which I love dearly. I also have an Epiphone Elitist Riviera 12 string from 2002, an EXTREMELY high quality made guitar. So, consider a higher end Epi, you might just fall in love. _625.JPG 20171114_133334.jpg

Jlwctn, rangercaster and smartsoul72 like this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm in the same boat. I guess... though I'm happy that I decided that I look stupid with a 335 and bought firebird that I probably even look more ridiculous with, which I don't ever play but occasionally look at when I'm playing my esquire.

So if I were you, and I'm not so take this with a grain of salt, and believe me I'm on the side of the "slowly sinking into the gAs morass sinners" and not the saints.

1. take to into account how many guitars you already have, before you even go further...count them if you don't know offhand.

Then 2. accept the fact that 339's kind of suck anyhow and they are cheaper than 335's for that very reason, as are Epiphones which are not Gibsons.

don't buy the cheap satin studio..blah crappy 335 that you already know you don't really want or the Epi whatever it is.

come back to 1. how many unplayed guitars do you already have?

then decide that if you really want a 335, make the commitment to buy the one you really want (whatever the godforsaken cost might be), keep in mind that the one you can get for cheap is probably cheap for a reason...

then buy it if you really think it will get played or just...

play whatever you are playing all the time anyway, and if it has issues fix them and go get some Macdonalds of whatever it is that fills the unfilled hole in your sou and save your money for pedals or amps or more telecasters!!! .... ?

Yuro and rangercaster like this.
  4. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Get a 335 and then put in Throbak SLE-101+ pickups ... it is exactly the sound you’ve been hearing in your head

fenderchamp likes this.
  5. fenderchamp

ha!! my feelings exactly. Please fill me up, I'm empty inside.

6. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I'm in your court on this one. I love the looks and sound of a 335 and have had 2 of them. The ergonomics of them do not work for me....You might consider a Gretch or a Fender Starcaster if you looking for a semi-hallow

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I had my 335 adventure a few years back. I did not like one of about 10 I tried until I played a 63 CS Reissue. Those reissues are the real deal, lighter in weight, thinner necks and resonant. Here you go.

20190217_220122_resized.jpg

mr natural and WilburBufferson like this.
  8. fenderchamp

what did that bad boy set you back?

9. fenderchamp

damn... now I find myself surfing the 335s....

PastorJay likes this.
  10. fenderchamp

one thing I can't really understand is why when all 335's are laminate, is there a big upcharge for a flame veneer.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I own 6 electrics and only one of them doesn’t get played. It’s a Gretsch electro magic and it’s destined for sale. I rotate guitars every month so they get played. I can’t say I have a favorite because I like all of them (other than the Gretsch).

It’s not a studio and I don’t consider $2600 cheap. ;) It’s a fine guitar but the neck is not what I prefer.

The Gretsch models I like would be no improvement ergonomically and a Starcaster is a poor imitation of the real deal IMO.

The 61 reissue also has a thinner neck and is top notch. I believe Gibson’s CS models are a cut above their standard series. I don’t mind spending more. I ordered my first Fender CS in 2010 and had to think twice before committing that much money but it met and exceeded my expectations. I ended up buying several more over the next 5 years. BTW, that’s a beauty!

Leonardocoate likes this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

It is the most versatile guitar I've found. Without knowing it I began chasing the ES-335 sound in 1974 with Joe Walsh's second version of "Turn to Stone." I thought that was a Les Paul but I couldn't get that sound on my LP to save my life. Thirteen years ago I saw a couple of videos where guys were using vintage ES-335s to get their core sounds and I went on a quest to see if modern ES-335s could deliver. At that moment there were about eleven ES-335s on various dealers' walls in town, and I tried them all, until I found one that matched the sound in my head. However, I knew that my family didn't have the money on hand to buy one.

Long story short, for Christmas, my lovely wife took me out and bought it for me, anyway, and then took it to my luthier/tech to get a pro setup.

It moved right in and stole my heart. It has become the center of my studio sessions kit, the one that goes to every date. It has become that guitar that I have to force myself NOT to play every time I practice. I've set up my whole rig around it and have to adapt the settings to all the others, the Teles, the Les Pauls, the Strats, etc.

it is a 2005 Memphis DOT with '57 Classics. There's nothing special about it except its sound and feel. Delivery pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put reflectors on because I remembered them on the ES-335s from my youth. Here it is on a studio session a decade ago:

[​IMG]

Bob

13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

$3199. I bought it from Mark Agnesi at Norm's Rare Guitars prior to him going to Gibson. It was used and had just come in the store. I told Mark I was looking for a players guitar that stood out from the average 335, many of which are heavy with thick necks. I told him I didn't care if it had any scratches or nicks. He said "I have one that is exceptional" and pulled the one above. I played it for less than 30 seconds and knew immediately it sounded and played like an early vintage 60s model. It was the best sounding one I had played over several months. You know that feeling like the ether has opened up and bangs you on the head..."This is the one". I set it down and said, ring it up.

He knocked several hundred off the retail to get it down to the price above and it came home with me. The custom shop had aged the guitar's pickup covers a bit too much and they cleaned them up at the store. I play it every day.

fenderchamp likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've got a '70 335 incoming. I measured the nut at 1.59" and it's narrow, but I can play it fine down in the cowboy chord area. The guitar that gets the most play time, here, is a Squier Affinity Strat at 1.60." My hands and brain don't seem to mind whatever width the neck is. I've got other Fenders and Gibsons of standard width.

We're all different, ain't we?

jayyj likes this.
  15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Get a taste for less money...this is my fully custom Epiphone.

IMG_20200915_084130149.jpg

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

And another custom Epiphone.
    Love em

FB_IMG_1600629222375.jpg

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    This is the 61 Reissue VOS. (I won’t get it from Sweetwater)

18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Well - You only - can really tell :confused:...

I have my LH Gibson 1980 ES-335 with its original matching case since... 1980 (bought 2nd hand, that said - it cost a fortune here in France at that time : 5500 Francs, so the equivalent of 839 Euros of today).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ES-335 is comfortable to play, well balanced, stable... I'd say that you "install yourself on a 335" to play it, and she "becomes one" with you, following you faithfully. My personal experience would not say that from a Telecaster - or worse - a Stratocaster...

I know that tone is indeed a matter of taste, but she always cut through the mix, and nonetheless has that distinctive "meliflue" tone that you do not find in a Les Paul.

But it's me, OK ?

-tbln.

mr natural and jayyj like this.
  19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Since I tried my first semi-Acoustic (a Gibson ES 175-style copy by Career), I was hooked.
    My main guitars are an Ibanez Artcore AF75 hollowbody and a sort of 335-copy by VGS with 2 P90s. Lovely guitars (with some modifications both) and I rarely play any solidbodies anymore.
    So go buy it!!!!

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I agree that we're all different when it comes to getting along with necks.

Years ago, I really liked thinner necks and I couldn't get along with bigger thicker necks.

These days, I actually prefer the bigger necks that feel way more comfortable in my 60 yr. old hands.

I'll most likely never sell my '70 335,but it will probably live in its case for a VERY long time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.