1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

I bought a 335 a couple years back - specs were everything I wanted in one, though it was an online order so I couldn’t play it before purchasing. It was the best guitar purchase I’ve ever made, love that thing. So I say...do it.

FlyGuy10 and howardlo like this.
  2. Chandlerman

Chandlerman TDPRI Member

Purchasing a guitar that has "always felt awkward" is a great idea! ;)

DHart, goonie, MilwMark and 1 other person like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My modded MIK Epi Sheraton II became my signature sound. Can't imagine life without it. You might like the thicker laminated neck and the maple resonance from these. IMG_4071.JPG

4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Stop! It's not for you. Step away from the guitar. Nothing to see here. Movie along.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've thought of that but no one around here carries them. I know they have an outstanding reputation but I'm still in the boat about the size and neck profiles. To be honest, I would prefer a Gibson Custom Shop model if I am spending that kind of $$$$.

I am waiting to get an availability date and price quote on the two Gibson models I'm interested in. Once I have the information I will make a decision but I'm leaning towards the Custom Shop model should I decide to take the leap. It's a luxury I am willing to indulge. I ain't getting any younger.

FlyGuy10 likes this.
  6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

One the best guitars I've ever played was a 1967 335 that belonged to a band mate. I've never owned one, but it might be the last guitar I ever buy someday. Or not. LOL

I thought I wanted a 339, because they're smaller, until I played one. Hated the neck.

Someday, when I'm in a playing situation that justifies it, I'd like to get a 335. Don't think I could order one, because there are too many options and I don't know which ones I want.

7. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I ordered a black 335 last year....excellent guitar. Well made, sounded great, love the pickups, looked killer.
    I returned it.
    Can't remember the exact model, gloss black, block inlays, and historic pickups(?) or what ever they call them.

I have an Ibanez JSM-10 that's the equal the the 335, so I couldn't justify keeping both...and there's that huge price difference. The nitro finish of the 335 is better...just because I prefer nitro. The pickups were also better, but I have several humbuckers laying around and intend on replacing the stock JSM10's at some point. But they're not bad & a pickup swap on a semi-hollow isn't exactly something I'm excited to do.

I recently bought a 2020 Les Paul Classic online and it's perfect. The only thing I had to do was a very minor setup tweak for my gauge of strings. If I didn't have the Ibanez, the 335 would still be with me.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I own a '70 Gibson ES-335 and a '83 Gibson ES 335 Dot.

The '70 was my very 1st 335 I ever owned.

I got it in '13 in a barter with a customer I did some work for. It basically cost me $165.

To be honest, the guitar sounds amazing with original T-tops,but the narrow neck at the nut isn't really for me, and therefore it's not my favorite by a long shot.

My '83 Dot on the other hand, is and amazing sounding and playing guitar that's in the top 5 guitars in my 54+ guitar/bass collection.

I had the Dot rewired and had the volume and tone pots upgraded to 500K, and treble bleed cap inst.

This Dot also has a neck that to me, is right between a 50's and 60's neck, and it's just the most perfect neck.

I found my '83 Dot in a pawnshop back in '14 for $1400, and to me it's a killer steal.

'63 ES-330, '70 335, '83 335 Dot

[​IMG]

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Although not US made, the Gretsch Streamliner is available with different pickup options ...
    And will only set you back $600 ...
    20200831_041408.jpg

Cysquatch, SparkleFart and stormsedge like this.
  10. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No help here still fighting my own . Got to have one.

rangercaster likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No help here...I have a Riviera P93 and a Streamliner G2627T...

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_7131.JPG

...and GAS for a Backlund Rockerbox.

SparkleFart and rangercaster like this.
  12. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

335s are such cool guitars!

I think of them as the pinnacle of Gibson design for an electric guitar.

Don't get me wrong, there are loads of other great Gibson designs, but some are still too much in the world of big jazz box guitars (and therefore sometimes a bit awkward), and other solid body were playing catch up with Fender, but still had some inherent design flaws. I love my Les Paul, but weight, balance, strap button placement and headstock angle could all be better.

The 335 solves many problems of previous models, while keeping some aesthetic from their jazz box history. It's an iconic look, and despite its size it's comfortable to wear. Just a great design, right up there with the strat and tele.

howardlo and rickthescot like this.
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

2020 Satin Dot owner here. It is a very lively instrument, acoustically. Everything is very nice about it. Only downside is that the case is heavier than the guitar. I wish I didn’t wait 55 years to get the real deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did play a bunch of used 335s before getting mine. A 2020 was hard to find. I was holding out for cherry red but this one had the magic. I knew I could learn to love the vintage burst.

14. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

On just get one already! Every picker needs one.

howardlo and rangercaster like this.
  15. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

I was in your position. I couldn’t find a 335 I liked so I bought this. image.jpg

16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

From my experience Collings necks are very consistent size ways. If you can play a new Gibson 50's les Paul, the Collings necks are
    a tiny bit smaller, like a Baja without the Vee. I couldn't play one prior to buying but went by reputation (also owned a couple of their Mandolins) and figured I could risk the return shipping if need be.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

gimmeatele and rangercaster like this.
  18. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Always wanted one and I never could afford it. I purchased a brand new Guild Starfire IV that I played for years. I sold that for some reason and I have been looking for that guitar for years now. I am thinking a Heritage might fill the need.

rangercaster likes this.
  19. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

closest I ever got to getting one was an Ovation thunder head back in the 70s.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

how would you describe the neck profile: thick,chunky, fat, slim, or somewhere in between? That’s one of models I’m considering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.