Stop me! I might give a 335 one more chance.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Sep 18, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have long had the ES-335 on my wish list. I love the looks, versatility and tone. I've tried a number of 335s in various shops but always felt awkward playing them. I had a 339 but it's not really the same thing.

I can't find either of the variants of the 335 that I want but I have two dealers determining when Gibson could ship either model. Apparently Gibson's closure of their Memphis factory to move the ES line to the Nashville site during the pandemic has caused some delays.

One model is the least expensive of the Gibson line, the Modern Collection Satin Dot. The other is Custom shop reissue of the 61 model with a thin neck (which I prefer).

There are only two other guitars I could ever possibly see adding to my collection: a Gretsch or a Thinline Tele with very exact specs. I doubt that I will ever order either so (famous last words), the ES-335 might be my last guitar purchase. I'm quite happy with my other guitars at present.

The question is whether the ES-335 will get along and live in blissful harmony or whether it's an ill fated marriage.

2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

You're right that a 339 is really not just a shrunken version of a 335. My preference is a 339 because of the smaller body size but YMMV.

There have been a couple of times when I've dithered about buying a guitar, only to have the opportunity slip away. I have no idea whether I would have liked them if I had bought either of them. You just never know.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

married 35 years to this one. But PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY..

249469CD-71E2-43A5-B3A9-58B5D20781A0.jpeg

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I may not be the best person to stop you, 335s remain my favourite guitars and the style I can't do without.

I guess the size is a familiarity thing. I've played one since I was 18 so they feel right to me, but they're big guitars.

I've really liked all of the Memphis Reissue models I've played - they feel more vintage like, drier and airier, than the production models which have always seemed a bit muscular. Most of my experiences with 335s have been older Kalamazoo builds but I do see a fair number of modern ones when they come through our repair shop. I've not tried a post Memphis 335 yet.

My family, just to tempt you closer to the dark side...

[​IMG]

6. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 335 years ago and that with a 52 AVRI were the only guitars that saw any use....for years....

7. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Doubtful.

Source of the doubt. :)

If I was right handed with all your choices and variations...I'd go with the Deluxe Fender Thinline,. now that's a marriage I could be faithful to. :)

DDickens likes this.
  8. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Play fair! That's a 345. Those are 10 better than a 335. :lol:

Jokes aside, I like 345s. Gorgeous top on that one too.

9. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Oh my....I'm going to need that red one...time for a divorce. :)

jayyj likes this.
  10. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I sold a lot of gear a couple of years ago and wanted to consolidate my money into fewer but better pieces of equipment. I fancied a custom shop Les Paul and tried out 5 or 6 at a local guitar store (Peach Music). I really liked one of them, but at the price they were, I wanted to think about whether it was the right guitar to spend my money on.

Soon after, I found a used ES335 for sale locally. It was under half the price of the Les Paul, but in my opinion, twice as good. The sound of the pickups and the way it felt when playing it was like nothing else I had played. I've never had a semi acoustic guitar, so perhaps that was the appeal, but it made me think I should have tried one sooner.

However, I had purchased another since and it was nowhere near as good so definitely worth trying.

I had tried a 339 years ago as I liked the smaller size and it felt and sounded too similar to my 2008 Les Paul Standard to warrant considering buying one. I was expecting a 335 to feel massive and cumbersome, but to me, it's no more difficult to play than any other electric, especially when standing.

However, if you feel awkward playing them, then perhaps it's not the guitar for you. I thought it would feel awkward to me being rather small in stature, but it wasn't. Definitely try before you buy!

FlyGuy10, Maguchi and Bluesbird like this.
  11. burntfrijoles

Oh the availability has nothing to do with it. I could get a Satin Cherry finish tomorrow but my mind is set on a sunburst. There will be more arriving.

That's my feeling about the 339. It's a nice guitar but why bother. It doesn't sound like a 335.

The odd thing is that I have no issues playing a jumbo body acoustic so it shouldn't be a problem. As the great philosopher, Yogi Berra, once said "90% of the game is half mental".

FlyGuy10, Maguchi, swervinbob and 2 others like this.
  12. burntfrijoles

I have considered a Thinline. In fact, I once owned the American Deluxe Thinline which were briefly available. They sound nothing like a 335. They sound like a Tele. If I bought a Thinline, it would have a maple top, humbuckers and a rosewood fretboard.

DDickens and Henley like this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

There are a number of 335 neck shapes so that’s an aspect to focus on.

The body size is what it is and if after a number of days of playing it you don’t find a way to make it “disappear” when you play it’s not for you.

Bluesbird likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They’re great guitars, but it can be challenging to find “the one”.
    I’ve got a yen for another one, too.
    My dream ES series is a blonde (natural) mono ES-345 with a big 50’s type neck.
    Someday!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    39martind18 and Bruxist like this.
  15. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

My exact weapons of choice. A 52 reissue then a 335. I have a Memphis satin version that works for me.

spurgie79 likes this.
  16. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I think mine might be a satin finish as well. I bought it in 2008, it's cherry with dot inlays, nothing too fancy. To be honest, I just feel cool wearing it.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You like the idea but not the reality of the 335.

So don’t get one.

DHart, tehuti and rangercaster like this.
  18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

19. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

You must do this.

20. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Get a Collings I30 (fully hollow p-90s) or I35 (semi-hollow Humbuckers). I did some horse trading and got one of each. The only downfall for me is that they're so damn versatile that you really don't have a good reason to switch guitars besides the "'cause I want to" reason.

RobRiggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.