1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stones - Mick Taylor - Brussels Affair

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Jan 27, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is my semi-annual "Gosh, I Love Mick Taylor!" thread.

THE ROLLING STONES - (Goat's Head Soup 2020) (Brussels Affair, Live in 1973) | GHS2020 FULL ALBUM - YouTube

No longer a bootleg, the famous or infamous "Brussels Affair",1973. The Stones are flogging one of my favorite albums, Goat's Head Soup. for whatever reason, it isn't generally considered one of their "best", but it is one of their best for me because it came out when i was sophomore in HS. It is my contemporaneous Stones album, and i loved it then and love it now. Much green matter was expended over this record. (as far as being one of their best, what in the heck are you going to do to follow up a slab of awesome like Exiles? well, you just make a record...and Goats is the record. it's not trying to do anything spectacular, it's just trying to have a good time.)

the record starts with Brown Sugar, but if you want to hear Mick hit high gear, skip to 3:40 for Gimme Shelter, he solos so beautifully over most of the song - he really lifts it up for me! especially considering how drudgey and draggy Keith sounds here. Mick is in the right channel of my headphones, not always mixed up very high. Then Happy, perfect slide all over the place.

i ought to spring for the Goats Head Soup box set. and i might. but i would not be safe driving around with this record playing in the car!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Geo, Deathray, black_doug and 2 others like this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I had to grow up and age a lot before I began to appreciate Taylor, though those albums have long been my favorites.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. thunderbyrd

...then you got to hear Mick on the long fade-out on Tumblin Dice!

4. thunderbyrd

i think it took me awhile to catch the MT vibe. i would never argue that he's a great "technical" player like Ritchie Blackmore or something. His playing is somewhat simple, compared to many others. i just noticed awhile back, listening to these various Stones boots that his playing gave me a joy that i don't catch anywhere else.

i like his stuff with John Mayall ok, but what i've heard of his solo stuff never did much for me. Mick Taylor with the Stones is the $%#&, far as i'm concerned. A Gibson Les Paul doing exactly what it should.

Brendan and RodeoTex like this.
  5. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I need to check out Brussels Affair. I would happily buy it if it wasn't bundled with Goats Head Soup -- an album I already own but don't love that much (not enough to buy it twice, anyway).

thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My copy of Goats Head Soup doesn't have either of those songs...

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Tumblin' Dice is a fantastic song with brilliant guitar parts... who plays which part, if you know?

8. thunderbyrd

Ryan: Keith is playing the rhythm on that, Mick Taylor is playing the lead. Keith does play a bit of lead here and there on the Brussels affair, but mostly Taylor. if you listen to a bunch of bootlegs from around 72-74, you'll catch Mick Taylor's sound. his style will become distinctive to you. Keith plays rhythm on most of those songs on those recordings.

(i assume we are talking about the Brussels Affair Tumblin' Dice. the exiles version, anything goes.)

Geo likes this.
  9. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Mick plays the stating phrase then I take it? It was a huge inspiration to me. . . helped me break out the pentatonic playing and start to use the other two notes - haha! I've always loved that track . . . not just the guitars. . . all of it! But the line that goes over the "chorus" is fantastic

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Lifetime Stones fan. I like Taylor-era Stones less and less the older I get. The Keith-only albums are their best, IMO (Beggar's and Let it Bleed), followed by most of the Brian albums. They only did one great studio album with Mick Taylor, IMO (Sticky Fingers), and one great "touched up" live album (Ya-Yas). I will say that Exile improved greatly once it was remastered well for CD, though. Still too long with too much filler, and fundamentally crappy production, however. The other two studio albums with Mick Taylor...somewhere in between "meh" and "yuck."

thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. thunderbyrd

No, DB, i'm referring to the new box set they just recently put out for Goat's Head Soup, it has a really great live recording from 1973 called the Brussels Affair included with it.

i guess this is the 50th anniversary of GHS.

12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

The bootleg KBFH had more songs. I had a copy on cassette from back in the day - my neighbor had a top quality reel-to-reel and recorded the whole show off the air then cut tape we could all play in our cars. I played that tape until it wore out many years later.

Taylor absolutely kicks butt at that show. The whole band was nailing it, but his solos are magnificent. His peak, for sure. Gimme Shelter, Rambler, Angie, Dancing with D, Heartbreaker, Honky Tonk, Can't Always Get What Want, - all great. Love the end run in Street Fighting man.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Mick was a live player. He liked to improvise. I remember a quote from Keef back then "He's great live but he doesn't know **** about playing in the studio". Correct... but the solution was that they just should have skipped the studio with him in the band and played everything live.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  14. thunderbyrd

No, Ryan, if you are referring to that sliding lick at the beginning of the song, in B. that is Keith playing in open G with a capo at, if i remember right, the 4th fret. that sweet tumblin dice lick was very inspirational to me, too!

it's THE Rolling Stones, hell yeah.

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

But what I'm talking about not liking isn't really Mick Taylor's doing. It was just the direction in which the band's music was going...and it applied live as well as in the studio. I just don't like '70s rock styles or production values, for the most part. All mainstream rock went downhill at that time IMO. Sadly, the Stones were not immune from the unfortunate changes in rock music at that time. It wasn't Mick Taylor's presence that made them go that way. When they did put out songs that I liked, produced the way I liked them, with Taylor, it was brilliant. E.g. Sticky Fingers and Ya-Yas. And they certainly didn't get any better when Taylor left and Ron Wood joined; if anything, they got even worse. It was an issue of the way the band's songwriting and production was going, not Mick Taylor himself. I believe the same thing would have happened no matter who was in the band.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

He was the best thing that ever happened to The Stones. They would have had creativity for at least the next decade - but all they did after he left was for the most part boring and stale. Keith and Ronny are masters - but they do nothing to compliment each other IMO.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  17. thunderbyrd

Esquire: awhile back, there was a post by - i have no idea who - that pointed out that pop music in general started turning just really dark in the early 70's. i think that's true.

of course, it's pretty hard to apply that to the Stones. they were never the sunshine boys...

NoTeleBob likes this.
  18. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

This was a classic well known bootleg for years. Mick Taylor was great in this time span and to me this was the golden age of the Stones, although they are still great.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  19. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I don't think they had a serious studio issue in the late 70's & 80's, aside from the fact that I don't like studio Stones albums (any of them). They had two or three good songs on most albums which is about all you can expect. A few stinkers but hey, they can't all be great. They were still nailing it in concert.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. thunderbyrd

i will agree with something mentioned in one post above...the first pressings of "Exiles..." did not sound good. i had an album of it that was not listenable, it sounded like "nothing". i never really heard Exiles til i heard it on CD.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.