1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stolen Gear Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CCK1, Mar 4, 2021.

1. gita

gita TDPRI Member

if they were somehow smart enough to steal this many guitars i feel like they know how to sell them safely which is irritating me

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Holy crap....That looks like well over a million dollars worth of gear. Terrible.

Seems like a good time to remind everyone here with sizable collections to take good photos and write down the serial numbers of everything.

Oh, and maybe keep them somewhere a little more secure than your local Stor-Mor.

Lost_N_Austin likes this.
  3. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

no, no, no. first we all play the intro to stairway to heaven, badly, on a loop for a few days. then the widdly-widdly solo in freebird likewise badly and for a few days and then all the other stuff.

benderb9 likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

We obviously do not know the same people.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

dang.

6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

But only in the left channel of his headphones. The right can feature an audiobook version of a Beatles thread.

aging_rocker, Jakedog and Dan German like this.
  7. gita

gita TDPRI Member

nonono first we need to play them like 10 seconds on their favorite song then immediately disappoint them by starting playing stairway except everyones guitar is in a different tuning and none of them sound halfway correct

8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You could've just said 10 minutes in the amp room at Guitar Center

Dan German, scottser and Manual Slim like this.
  9. gita

gita TDPRI Member

nickelback

buster poser likes this.
  10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I hate thieves. I would never put a collection like that into a storage facility either. Hard to know his reasons about the storage. Hopefully the thieves will be caught.

Jakedog and teletail like this.
  11. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

Exactly !

Telekarster and teletail like this.
  12. getbent

well, what do we know about the storage facility? There are lots of storage facilities in the San Jose area that are air conditioned, indoors, super nice, like the inside of a house. Gotta store them somewhere, right? Even if he has a mcmansion in saratoga, he probably keeps the 'good stuff' there.

There are a ton of 'mini millionaires' in the valley, so, he could have a normal house in willow glen and have a storage locker around Guitar Showcase... that would be a lot of guitars and amps for one house, right?

when the floods hit nashville a few years ago, tons of guitars got sloshed in 'storage facilities' where else do you store them?

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I don’t want to take away from the focus of getting these guitars back and punishing the perpetrators. Getting Vintage Guitar involved in getting the word out to those who care about solving this crime is very important so kudos To VG.
    Getting the word out to the right people works. Below I put a link to a news story about one of my friends who had a trailer full of his memorabilia and trophies stolen. Because he is so well known and liked and admired in this community, and the contents were so identifiable and personal, the stolen goods quickly lead to the recovery. All except one item but the story is still fresh and not complete yet. The perpetrators are now well known and the are being prosecuted but their punishment is for from over with.

Again my goal is to show a good example of a fairly good outcome not to change the subject away from getting these guitars back to the owner or to the open market place.

Tulsa Racing Legend Hopes For Safe Return Of Prized Stolen Trophy
    https://www.newson6.com/story/603f0...opes-for-safe-return-of-prized-stolen-trophy-

Lost_N_Austin

buster poser and getbent like this.
  14. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I went to one of those storage facilities in Nashville a couple years before the flood. It was totally indoors and was a huge facility, made so tractor trailers could back up and load up gear. Apparently big acts/production companies/equipment rental companies stored their gear there. Cameras, fence, I think there was a guard.

15. getbent

dimes to donuts the storage facility this guy was using has cameras and an on prem person. There are thefts at places with these things all the time. All you have to do is have the code, right? They probably have video of them, but you don't think this is a random theft do you? This is someone who knew the guitars were there...

I don't think this was one of those dusty places on the edge of town, this was probably more like where Walter White stored his cash. Cameras, lights, fence, on prem guy, for someone who knows where the stuff is... those are not gonna stop someone.. and if the gear is bound elsewhere (like out of the country) a couple of uhaul trips to another storage facility, then load up a container, and send the container to any number of cool old guitar loving countries to be sold that way...

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Same thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago - 20 guitars stolen out of a storage facility.

Turns out the security cameras 'weren't working' when the theft occurred. Detectives later determined it was an inside job.

My friend actually got most of his guitars back, but he spent hours and hours watching eBay in order to find them. The web site is a good idea - I put one up for my friend, and local police were able to ID his guitars from photos and serial numbers.

I hope the guy gets at least some of them back. I'd be ready to kill if it was me.

- D

getbent likes this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The cutting-off of hands and feet are appropriate justice in cases of thievery.

Call me barbaric and wear your OFFENDED shirt if you like. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Lef T likes this.
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've only got 30 guitars, and storing them in my house is somewhat of a problem.

This dude lost 170 guitars. I'd need to at least double the size of my house to store that many.

- D

getbent and Jakedog like this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Exactly. I know a few folks with collections like this. Or larger. None of them keep that much stuff at their house. They all have a “storage facility”. The exception is Dave Rogers. But he’s got that huge stand-alone music store that also houses his collection. Technically a storage facility.

Not all storage facilities are fly by night, rent a garage, “Storage Wars” joints.

Here’s my favorite pic of a “storage facility”.

DA5A3B93-C198-4660-A179-37CF00EC77EC.jpeg

MickM, Lef T, Manual Slim and 3 others like this.
  20. getbent

For the facilities I'm responsible for, we have 1600 cameras placed for security. They are in out of the way, difficult to reach etc. On any given day, 10-20% of them are non op. Not because they aren't fantastic and reliable cameras but because there are lots of turds in the world who disable cameras before they do bad things.

We get great footage of people in dark clothes, hoodies and... wait for it, wearing a mask. We have 'plate' cameras for entry and exit to parking lots. Work great, we collect ALL plates and run them (automated) when we get a hit (stolen car, etc) we forward time and place to the police. BUT, bad guys, wait for it, cover up their plates when they aren't drug addled fools.

As for security guards... you get what you pay for.

MickM, Lef T, Durtdog and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.