1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

stock IRs:how much editing is necessary to make them "cut through the mix"??

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by braveheart, Jan 23, 2021.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

in my memory traditional speaker sims like Palmer pdi_9 etc. were easier to handle...some hi-s and everything was fine

Even with Ownhammer I always have to use the EQ (mainly mids) to make them useable in the mix...

How do you tweak your IRs?

northernguitar likes this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I use my IRs either with a Mooer Radar or in GarageBand with the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin. Yes, I use the supplied EQs on both to do a final tweak of the tone. Maybe it's my headphones and IEMs, but I find they all need to be brightened up.

braveheart likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a THR100HD for some guitar recording when I need to be really quiet and the stock IRs seem fine to me always sound good to me.

braveheart likes this.
  4. braveheart

by the way:are that really IRs in the WOS (stock) or simple simulations?

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I think I got 10 IRs with the purchase of a Two Notes Torpedo Captor (V1). Those were excellent, but couldn't be used with my Mooer Radar (proprietary to Two Notes gear:rolleyes:). So, I switched to Ownhammer and ML Sound Labs IRs, which have the mics and mic positions baked into the file.

braveheart likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Perhaps something on the guitar ... PTB/Bass Contour style circuit

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Are you talking about live or recording? I’ve only used them for recording. I love Ownhammer for recording, but they are a little scooped. But when mixing and recording everything else I can work with that.

I don’t know about live. I’ve heard people with modelers like the Helix complain about ir’s being harsh or getting lost in the mix playing live. I’m not sure. As far as an amp with a load box live, I was watching a rig rundown with Alter Bridge, and they use the cabs from an Ox box for in ears, but still use the Palmer analog cab out for front of house.

8. braveheart

not live...mainly recording or playing with music/backing tracks

swervinbob and northernguitar like this.
  9. swervinbob

Here’s a pretty cool video showing the differences between some ir companies.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I mostly use OwnHammer IR's, the EVL based ones in either 1x12 or 4x12. The loader is a Hotone Binary Cab. I turn off the mic emulations for the OwnHammer IRs but use the R121 emulation for the stock IRs. The amp varies but most often right now it's a Monoprice 5w into a Bugera PS1 Power Soak then its line out into the IR Cab. From the IR Cab it goes into a mixer for blending with tracks, then out to PA speakers, headphones and/or recording on my PC.

I've not had any problems with cutting through the mix in this configuration although I usually have to make some volume adjustments to get the best sound.

Another thing that might be a factor is that I almost always use a compressor pedal before the amp, right now an Orange Kongpressor but I used a EHX Tone Corset previously. For an overdrive, I usually use a MXR Sugar Drive (Klone).

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the Celestion IR packages. The tones are RAW... while I find Ownhammer and others to be rather processed. Personally, I prefer that RAW tone so I can process them the way I want.
    1. I start by choosing the core tone I am after. Cab, Speaker, Mic...
    2. Next I'll focus on "mic position" IR's to find the closest tones to suit the song
    3. Get Steps 1 & 2 right, and you won't be trying to chase "tones" with EQ, you will just refine it with EQ
    My live setup gets a rich mid focused IR. Right now that's the Celestion Ruby 112 Open Back.
    In the studio I experiment a lot more... but still focus on just a handful of cab/speaker/mic layouts. My time is spent finding the right "mic positions" more than anything else.

no doz likes this.
  12. swervinbob

I decided when I got into ir’s I wasn’t going to go down the rabbit hole too far. I just went with Ownhammer. I’ve got several cabinets, but I always just choose the OH1-00 on whichever Cab I use. That’s the brightest mix of a 57 and a 121. I just eq everything to taste. I was mixing it with a darker OH1, but don’t even do that anymore. I catch myself overthinking one tone and not the full project.

I was looking at the Celestion site the other day. I may try them out.

13. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

I've recently bought a Helix and Powercab Plus.
    I'll make it work without any additional guff.
    My philosophy with any gear is spend a couple of years learning how to use what came in the box, before you "modify" it.

The point of IRs is they should be ready to go and not need tweeking to do the job. At most, they should need no more editing than if you were using a conventional amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.