Sting - Russians

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, May 9, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I revisited Sting’s The Dream of Blue Turtles album on a recent drive and listened to this song for the first time in decades.

Even after all these years, it’s still very powerful yet chilling to listen to, between the subject matter and lyrics, the nervy melody and arrangement, the Prokofiev quote, the clock ticking, the distant clanging in the fadeout...

I’m glad it was followed by “Children’s Crusade” (another stellar song) to sooth the soul a bit after hearing “Russians”.

marc2211, hotraman, PhredE and 3 others like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That whole album is great. One other favorite of mine is moon over bourbon street

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

One of my favorite songs by him, and it has a lot of competition.

Genius singing... he really is such an amazing vocalist. The refrain and the way he varies the repetitions slightly, unreal. Love the one at 2:15 or so and the way he pops up on the second syllable of "Russians." Great song, great record. His first three solo LPs were really outstanding.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

He's brilliant. You'd have to be brilliant to keep up with Stewart Copeland all those years.

buster poser and srblue5 like this.
  5. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Incredible drummer, just his whole body going, constantly. That guy with the weird Tele was no slouch either. Unmatched studio output over their short run and they were unreal live.

This one always reminded me a bit of Invisible Sun in spirit at least. Sorta dirgey, bleak. Had it in my head all evening too. Dude has a gift for a hook even when he’s cribbing

srblue5 and Killing Floor like this.
  6. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

I love that album and listened to it a lot. The album was a revelation to me, being quite a contrast to his work with The Police. It was recorded with an incredible group of musicians – Kenny Kirkland, Branford Marsalis, Darryl Jones, and Omar Hakim – all African Americans

Also, that gorgeous melody used in Russians was “borrowed” from the music written by Serge Prokofiev for the 1934 Soviet film Lieutenant Kijé.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

All stellar jazz players too. Not just for the first album but also for Nothing Like the Sun (which I liked just about as much).

Great thread! :)

buster poser and srblue5 like this.
  8. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Love that album and that song. It has a personal meaning for me.

This is a great thread. Through a musical church connection, Ive been playing electric guitar for Slavic churches, mainly younger musicians in their mid 20's and 30's.
    They immigrated from the USSR, to the USA for freedom. The stories they have shared, have enlightened me.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    srblue5 likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just because

It's for sure one of my very favorite pieces by him

srblue5 and buster poser like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.