1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Still the best sounding speaker ever made!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Apr 1, 2021.

1. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

Altec Lansing voice of the theater model 19 are IMO the most impressive sounding speakers I have heard. They throw a huge sound space that small box speakers can't do. The horn is incredible.

DougM likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I bought my Klipsch KG4's I thought they sounded a little harsh until I tried a bunch of phono cartridges and got the right match.

Those are really down market models but still pretty nice.
    $80 at a Cambridge thrift shop during the bottom of the vinyl purge, when I also bought a bunch of nicer turntables.
    Also a pair of Alison One's that I liked better than the KG4's.
    I think those were $80 as well.

DougM and ale.istotle like this.
  3. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had KG4's. Loved them. Sent them to college with my daughter. I ran out of room over time so I left them and a Luxman R-115 receiver with my daughter's roommates when my daughter moved on.
    Just didn't have the space and was tired of moving them. Oh well.

DougM and telemnemonics like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Hearing real instruments in a half decent room blows away any playback situation, for me. Really fancy hi fi stuff is cool, but not worth fomo.
    I started going to hi fi shops in my 20s when I had a comically low income, looking for old trade ins for sale in the back. I enjoyed hearing and learning about the expensive stuff, but I was always satisfied with what I could do with a few sub-$100 components. Now, some of those components sell for a lot.
    When stuff isn't old enough to be vintage or new enough to be bougie, there are bargains.

Exactly.
    And those people throw out functioning stereos all the time, or sell cheap online. It is starting to wane though, and there won't be much used stereo equipment from this time period right now. So grab what you can now, thrifty mid-fi fans.

Sconnie likes this.
  5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Glad you added "IMHO". They have a lot of competition these days. In fact, all of the speaker manufacturers have a lot of competition these day. And that's not an opinion, that's a fact!

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Greggorios likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I gave away, threw out or abandoned a whole lotta stuff that's now valuable collectors items.
    Including possibly the same Kenwood receiver that @schmee says he sold for $1000.
    At the time it had top reviews, one of the very few expensive things I bought brand new, probably 1979.

DougM, schmee and ale.istotle like this.
  8. Jared Purdy

I'm partial to Sonus Fabre. I've got a pair of their Olympica III Nouvo. With these things, budget aside, it comes down to the space that you're putting them in. It has to be a match. Too small, no good, too big, no good. and then there's the process of finding compatible equipment

Blue Bill likes this.
  9. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

In the early 90s, when I first started to make real money, I entered that world. Over the next decade, spent several thousand buying, then upgrading, each component. I realized there was no end to this. I could almost afford the upgrades, but I could not afford the house sufficiently distant from others so that I could get the full effect whenever I wanted to.

When I moved to California, I gave it all to my nephews. Haven't owned anything other than a computer and computer speakers ever since.

ale.istotle likes this.
  10. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

my fantasy speaker set up was the Ohm Walsh A, a two piece floor standing speaker. I lived a mile from a Tech Hi-Fi in the '70s and spent a lot of time (and some $, too) listening to them.

I have a Pioneer SX-1080 receiver, Nakamichi CP-2A CD player and Advent speakers all in storage. Even in my tiny little music room at my old house they sounded fantastic. I hope to set them up again in our new house (fingers crossed that it happens)

DougM likes this.
  11. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Used to sell audit equipment back in the late 70's to early 80's. We sold Harmon Kardon, Sansui, Sony, Infinity, ADS, Hadco, and Bose to name a few back in its' heyday. I owned a pair of the Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's tri-amped with some high end Sony gear at one time. Later I downsized to some ADS speakers with Harmon Kardon separates. Still have that system, but it is packed away. Sold tons of audio equipment. I was young an loved that job. We were actually the second largest Bose dealer in the nation at one time and with up there with Infinity. And the more you sold of a product, you got discounts on purchase of the equipment by manufacturer. Those were the days.

Blue Bill and DougM like this.
  12. Jared Purdy

It can be a never ending process. I've had "decent" audio equipment for most of my adult life. Quality Dual, Denon, Luxman and NAD (Master series) gear, old school, original PSB and Energy speakers.

Fast forward to about five or six years ago. I had an aging NAD Classic series. The CD player would stick, the pots needed cleaning on the amp, and as I found out, some caps needed replacing. My Energy Pro Monitor 22 speakers were done. Both tweeters toast (difficult to repair, at the time), and one of the woofers had crapped out. Several years earlier, I had ditched my Dual 5000 TT (an "okay" base TT), and sold all of my LPs.

One night I was over at my neighbour's house. We had been imbibing, and one of his buddies loaned him a barely functioning old Techniques or Sony TT. It had a cartridge on it. He decided to try hooking it up to his Bose TV Stereo system, and by god, it worked!! We flipped through old Sinatra LPs, Nancy Wilson, Julie London and a bunch of others.

The next day, I went to a well established audio store in Toronto and bought a new pair of speakers (Sonus Faber Venere 2.5) and a Project TT, and followed up by tracking down on Canuck Audio Mart the NAD Master Series M3, M4 and M5. Mission accomplished. Or so I thought.

I had that system until the fall of 2019, when I decided, due to an influx of cash, that I wanted to take it where I've always wanted to take a stereo system. I ended up with the Sonus Faber Olympica III Nuvous speakers, Sim Audio Moon 700i V2 integrated amp, Moon 650D DAC/CD Transport, Acoustic Solid Solid Edition TT, Benz Micro Wood cartridge, Gold Note PH10 and PSU10 phono stage and power supply, and Cardas Clear Cygnus cables through out with their Nautilus power bar. I kept the NAD M4 tuner. My jonesing is over. Now if I had a bigger house...???

It can be a very addicting "hobby", and very expensive one. Unless I win a lottery, I will never be in a position to afford what I've got. I didn't pay full price for anything in the system, though I likely would have. I saved roughly $10K CDN over the full retail price. The only thing I'll have to do, assuming everything lasts, is replace the belts, cartridge, and somewhere far down the road, a cap job on the amp and maybe the phono stage. I love listening to good audio, and there is nothing quite like a TT that doubles as a functional piece of art.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    DougM likes this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I'll never forget the first time I heard K-horns back in the 70's, it's burned into my memory. I love horns and Klipsch are my favorite speakers..

ale.istotle and DougM like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Don't feel bad, I sold my 5E3 Deluxe for $75 on Little Nickel Want Ads. The guy bought my '69 ES335 while he was there ... I got a whole $325 out of it!
    The Kenwood was a top of the line K1000, everything still working.

ale.istotle, DougM and telemnemonics like this.
  15. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Greggorios and DougM like this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Don't forget the room shape, positioning of speakers, positioning of the chair, and the surface treatments on the walls in the space. The acoustics of the room can have as much or more of an impact on perceived fidelity then hi fi speaker A vs. hi fi speaker B.

Greggorios, Hey_you and aging_rocker like this.
  17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Yep, the room has a massive impact on the sound. Moving the speakers by a couple of inches will also have a big effect. Both much more so than changing cables.

18. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Decades ago when I was buying my first (low level) hi fi system from a top end shop, i would have put money that they had a jazz combo set up in an adjacent room. I could hear the wood of the double bass resonating, every shimmer of the ride cymbal, and so on.. Of course it was a turntable connected to an amp and some $120K speakers. I got out of the shop with my little $3.5k system as fast as I could before I was hooked (and broke) for life.

19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here's Norah again, from the same shop, played thru McIntosh again, but this time with the flagship B&W 800D3 speakers, which are $15k a pair, which is an almost entry level price by ultra high-end standards. And, despite what the naysayers have to say about listening thru a computer on YouTube, I can still tell that they can't compare to the Klipsches. And, B&Ws are some of my favorite speakers. I wish local audio dealers still existed. I'd love to hear some current affordable B&Ws, Monitor Audios, Wharfedales, KEFs, Klipsches, and JBLs. Now, the only way to hear them is YouTube.

Dan R likes this.
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I just sold a pair of B&W 309s for pocket change, they were rather cosmetically damaged thanks to a 2yo with a blunt implement in the tweeter cones, but they still sounded good. I had no use for them and they were taking up space so my loss was someone else's gain

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.