Still Rocking Peavey Gear?

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
I bought a classic chorus 212 back in 92. It was my main amp for 29 years. Just put it into storage a year ago. Having a space issue in my studio room. I can honestly say I’ve never played with a drummer without that amp.
I got a lot of grief along the way. But it never let me down and as I’ve told everyone who has hassled me “it takes pedals well!”

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
I still have my Special 130 and a Deuce ... great and under rated. I still have a Peavey 4 x 12 speaker cabinet.
Last year I got rid of a Peavey 1 x 15 Bass cab, a Mark III (?) bass head, and a Peavey Standard SS guitar head .... all worked fine, got a lot of use and were over 40 years old. You couldn't kill this stuff.
The stuff Peavey is making now is not as well built.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I was given a Peavey Classic VTS (?) about three years ago. I had to replace the power tubes, but it has a pretty good tone, is built like a tank (and just about as heavy), and can get really LOUD! That said, I really like the sound of my Vibrolux Reverb or 69 Deluxe Reverb better. That Fender chime....
If someone might be interested in this old Peavey tank, PM me, I'm sure I'd be amenable to any reasonable offer.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
I owned both a Red Stripe and a Silver Stripe Studio Pro for a while and used them in a dual mono rig. I liked the Silver Stripe's overdrive channel better but the Red Stripe had nicer, more scooped cleans. Reverb in both was good but unique to each. I made a hand wired footswitch that allowed me to switch both amps between clean and dirt channels at the same time. Both of the amps had wah, comp and dirt pedals fed into their front ends while only one side had mod and delay effects in its FX loop. It was pretty cool when I didn't have a lot of money and could sound pretty big. I did some speaker swapping and after wasting a lot of money decided the Blue Marvel they come with is a great guitar speaker for those amps. I still own a Rage 108 Silver Stripe which I dropped a Jensen Mod 8 speaker into (because the orginal one had blown) and that little guy screams -- I love using it for recording. It holds surprisingly well next to a drum kit when you crank it up and get it off the floor.

Lacking Talent

Tele-Holic
I am down to a single Peavey amp.... The Transformer 212. The absolute capstone of Peavey solid state amp design. It is an amazing piece of gear. Like two Bandits bolted together with a dozen analog preamps, MIDI, stereo send/return AND stereo direct outs. All of that and as loud as you could possibly ever need... like REALLY , REALLY loud.

This page has not been updates in almost 20 years... but it is still worth a read for those with an engineering interest.

To me it is interesting that decades later, and there is still not much that is better in terms of analog preamp design. The Vox NuTube stuff is a leap forward and the H&K Spirit tech is interesting, but it is not "much" better.

+1000

I rock the more portable 112 (loaded with the upgraded chip that provides additional amp models, effects, and control parameters)...

Transformer 112 CU.jpg

Peavey Transformer 112 ad.JPG

alexamadrid

TDPRI Member
Currently a Studio Pro 20 & KB/A 30 here. Silverface Deluxe in high school, Blackface piggyback Showman gigging clubs, JTM45/4x12 dance halls, final tube amp a VT22. All four unceremoniously died on me so, for the sake of roadworthiness, I got a Nashville 400. This was all back in the day when loud amps not only saved lives, but were, in fact, life itself.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I had a couple of Bandits in the early 2000s. I used to leave them at practice spaces. Great amps that were cheap. I don’t know how they are so heavy for solid state amps!

brindlepicker

Tele-Holic
I think it’s a 1st year Studio Pro 40. A Craigslist buy that came with an old Fender silver 2 button foot switch. Celestion 100gt.Reverb isn’t good. Had some crackle and I changed all the electrolytic caps in 2010. That was tricky on the board.

I was going to get a trans tube seeing them cheap, but this gets me the sounds I like for home with an OD-3 and Digiverb I’d had.

JunebugJones

TDPRI Member
In our house, we’re big vintage Peavey fans. Bought my practice space PA in 1990, an old XR 600B head still going strong. Our band’s main bass these days is an early ‘80s Peavey Foundation. Absolutely killer tone. We have two late ‘70s T-60s, a silver T-25, and a Peavey Reactor (Tele copy). There’s an old Bandit amp kicking around, too. Every piece of gear is built so solid it would probably survive falling out of the back of a truck on the highway. We’re big fans of the super-ferrite pickups, the solid-feeling necks … and, of course, the fun of showing up to a gig or jam with our Peavey Army.

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
I still have a working Classic 4x10 from the 90's. In the past I've owned a Special 130, Foundation Bass, TKO75 bass amp, and more PA gear than I can remember. Solid & gig-worthy.

daddyplaysbass

Tele-Afflicted
Still use my "90's Peavey Fury Bass I got for $60.00, I like anything Peavey, and so do the "amatuers" on the Grand Ol Opry. Peavey got the micro-tilt right on this bass.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 9

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve played a dozen of their boat anchors, erm, guitars—a couple of friends of mine had T-60 fetishes— through a couple dozen of their amps—those same guys always had Peavey amps—and sang through a thousand of their PAs (seemingly the industry standard for small clubs in the 80’s/90’s/00’s) over the years, but strangely, I’ve only owned one Peavey product in 30+ years of playing…a Peavey Delta Stomp pedal.

It was a decent-to-good-sounding digital multi-effect from the late-90’s/early 00’s that I mainly used for a Leslie simulation.

Great, durable stuff…I have nothing against any of their products, but for some reason I’ve never bought any thing.

Cam

Friend of Leo's
Jeez! This reminds me to try the Life Jacket T-60 (I'd bet it floats) into the Encore 65 Amp. (the amp'd sink I'd wager).

srblue5

Tele-Afflicted
I have and regularly use a Peavey Bandit 65 and it's a great amp. Reliable and sounds great. I still love tube amps but I don't really bat an eyelid whenever I use the Bandit on a gig (which is quite often). With a Joyo American Sound pedal, it definitely approaches tube territory.

My bandmate uses some kind of custom-made hand-wired tube amp and my Bandit keeps up with it. I don't think he likes to admit it, though. 😂

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Where I came up a a guitar player there wasn't much available in amps or PAs except Peavey.
I had a Peavey PA and a Backstage Plus Amp. Friends had Peavey amps with those horrid sounding black widows that weighed a ton.
It'll be too soon if I ever have to play another.

Boomhauer

Friend of Leo's
Got a Rage 158 and an extension cab made with a couple of 12" Sheffield speakers! I upgraded the Rage with a Warehouse Speakers G8C and have been scouring the bowels of The Internet trying to find settings and make it sound like an early 90's country guitarist - someone, somewhere said that dudes were using Peavey Classic 30s, and eventually Peavey solid-state stuff between like 89 and 94.

Henry Mars

Tele-Afflicted
In our house, we’re big vintage Peavey fans. Bought my practice space PA in 1990, an old XR 600B head still going strong. Our band’s main bass these days is an early ‘80s Peavey Foundation. Absolutely killer tone. We have two late ‘70s T-60s, a silver T-25, and a Peavey Reactor (Tele copy). There’s an old Bandit amp kicking around, too. Every piece of gear is built so solid it would probably survive falling out of the back of a truck on the highway. We’re big fans of the super-ferrite pickups, the solid-feeling necks … and, of course, the fun of showing up to a gig or jam with our Peavey Army.
I still have a T-40 bass. I gigged with it 3 - 5 nights a week from the late 70's to the early 80's ..... it is the reason why my right shoulder requires surgery.