Still one of the greatest practice amps ever...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fatboris1, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Pignose marketed a tube amp in the late 90s called the G40V, designed by Dennis Kager of Ampeg, who later started Sundown Amplification. It's a 2x 6L6 little beast of a 1x10 combo. Sounds fantastic; if you find one, snap it up. Super affordable and basically a teensy fire-breathing 40-watt Marshall combo.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PIGG40V

Tim S and Manual Slim like this.
  2. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

The 30/60, a 1x12 combo. Sounded ok, I had one and have no memory of what happened to it.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The lead guitar player in a band I was in way back when used a pignose on a split of his signal running through an analog delay, with the amp about 20 feet to the side of his main amp. Great sound.

4. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Thanks! I remember that one... but there was another, called the Crossmix... it was designed by Paul Rivera
    They were way ahead of their time.

5. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I do love me some Pignose. When I was first getting into electric guitar I'd see ads for Pignose in Guitar Player and other magazines; then I finally got one years later at Manny's in NYC (RIP) and it's been with me ever since. Sounds great with my SG-200, sounds great with my Pro Jet, sounded great with my Tele. And you can hang it off yiur shoulder with a guitar strap!

6. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

That illustrates for me why the Pignose prevails - no such faff whatsoever!

I accumulated three portable/practice amps in my quest for the perfect harp rig.
    A microcube (smaller speaker, weird harmonica overtones) A Vox DA5 (bigger speaker, rounder sound, obscure user interface) and the Pignose (plug in, play)

Both the other amps took time to dial in; even with my guitar I find deciding on the 'best' sounding amp model an annoying distraction - eventually I'd find each amps sweet spot and just keep returning to it (The fiddly old vox automatically drops settings by design!).
    To me it seems like each amp model is achieved through a subtractive process; like hearing a recording reproduced through a hifi speaker whereas the Pignose tone feels more dynamic, like the amp really is pushing through everything it's got.

Now I find I just reach for the pignose; its individual sound is right in the sweet spot already. Even bundled with an effect pedal it remains my most compact and portable rig - with character in bags!

So that's why the Pignose remains my baby amp of choice.
    I've let go questing through amp models and the novelty of integrated effects (redundant once we buy our own) :twisted:

IMG_20210516_104514249-1.jpg
    Lo-Fi - My 70s tech rig + optional 90s to 20s tech 'plugins'

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    MisterZ likes this.
  7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Everything's a trade-off. I get a marginal increase in faff in exchange for a significant reduction in bulk:

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 11.57.06 AM.png

I've had my Piggy since 1992 and it's in no danger of being evicted from the collection. But it's nice to have other options.

MyLittleEye and Tim S like this.
  8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

And judging by the tone on Crazy Train, they never bothered to plug him into a real amp until they were out on tour.

MisterZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.