1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Still having sleep issues...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 21, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Full face mask . So you open your mouth when sleeping . Have you tried a nose mask and a chin strap ? You could escape the hard plastic thing simply by keeping your mouth closed .

2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It sounds to me like the unit is not properly titrated and you need more pressure. I used a CPAP for over 5 years, but I kept needing more pressure. I have an open-source software program (OSCAR) that can read all of the data stored on my card, including apnea events. It is helpful because you can track how effective your system is. About 4-5 years ago I also started developing central sleep apnea as well as obstructive and needed to switch to a BIPAP to provide both hi and low pressure with every breath. But central sleep apnea can really only be diagnosed during a sleep study and titration.

As long as your mask doesn't leak, or anything obvious like that, you need to get in touch with your team and get it straight.

In fact, my older sister (71) died suddenly YESTERDAY morning from a deadly heart attack likely caused by ignoring her sleep apnea for 5+ years. Didn't even make it to the hospital. She didn't want to use the machine. She had no warning and no diagnosed cardiac issues - went suddenly. She was not overweight at all - about 95 pounds but has snored terribly for years.

Please make sure you get your system set up properly and keep RECHECKING your status. It isn't a once-and-done operation as there are many variables. And if anyone out there thinks snoring is not a problem, it could be a deadly attitude. Sleep apnea is simple enough to diagnose, and can be very harmful to you brain, heart, and other organs - not to mention deadly!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    ZackyDog likes this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

No, I haven't, but keeping my mouth closed would be next to impossible.

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Well , there are chin straps and the Inspire system .

5. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

blunt question, are you overweight? If so what you need is not an adjustment of your machine but your dietary habits and lifestyle in general. I wish you the best if this is the case.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

My condolences to you :(

Boreas likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Sleep apnea can also lead to early dementia.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

You bet!

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Boreas

Thanks!

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

My deepest sympathy regarding your sister.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Boreas

Thanks all. I just want people to know how grossly undiagnosed this problem is and its consequences. It isn't just about snoring. Chronic oxygen deprivation and dangerous high blood pressure spikes during apnea episodes are a recipe for mortality.

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Maybe this helps; I know that it helped me just a couple of days ago.

I get replacement parts (hose, tank, mask, strap, angle connector) every 3 months. Sometimes, I don't change them, and continue cleaning the old parts.:oops: I am 99% certain, that the angle connector (see picture) was leaking air. I replaced it and I am feeling significantly better and rested.

upload_2020-10-30_13-47-7.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.