still a fender strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by leonard d rock, Aug 23, 2019.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

my 2005 fender mim standard strat is getting a little heavy for my back. i plan to buy a squier bullet strat and use the body, with the fender neck electronics and hardware. would the guitar still be technically a fender?

im going to assemble also the leftover squier neck with the fender body and parts. is it a squier?

so what make a guitar, the neck with the brand or the body?

thanks

ldr

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, IMO swap the body or neck on a guitar and it's a partscaster. Both would be partscasters.

leonard d rock likes this.
  3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

I have a ‘98 American Standard Strat body that I put a new Player Strat neck on and a Squier Classic Vibe body that I put the ‘98 American Standard neck on.
    Neither has the original pickups or tuners, so I understand that they’re “partscasters”, but I just call them Stratocasters to all of the noone who has ever asked me what I call my guitars.
    If I was to sell them I’d be honest about what was what.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

It's semantics. Whatever you think it is is about as close as you will get to an answer.

5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I’ve wrestled with this for years as I upgraded everything about my first strat. The only thing original now is the body, pickguard and neck plate.
    I asked all my musician friends about it. The bassist in one of my bands put it best. He said if you own it, and more importantly play it. You decide what it is and it’s value. It is semantics after all. I have partcasters that I’ve put Fender decals on though. So I’m probably not the best person to ask.
    But if you love it.. it’s yours. That’s the most important distinction.

6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'm of the school of thought that if you play the crap out of a guitar because it's just right ... who cares what it's worth ? I'd totally take the neck and the hardware and whack it on a nice lightweight Squier body. I do it all the time because I'm not looking to make money on resale, I want something that plays great.

7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

They’re both Squenders. But you can alway reassemble them back to stock. I wouldn’t think too hard about it. Lots of people mix and match.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You have entered into the partscaster realm.

Didn't that $3-Million+ Gilmour black Strat have half a dozen neck replacements over the years and three body replacements?

I wonder who is hoarding those old necks and bodies ...

edvard and leonard d rock like this.
  9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

This is my grandfathers ax ... it's had 3 new handles and we replaced the head after we ground the old one down too far to be useful anymore ... but it's still the best ax we ever had.

10. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Have you tried a wider strap with cushioning?

11. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

Squiers are great for the money, not like it was in the 60s & 70s, though now I wish I'd kept some of those gold foil pickups - see how much people want for them.

Nobody ever told me that I would have sounded better if I played a Fender instead of a Squier.
    Keep that MIM, use it for your sit down guitar or as was already posted, try a different strap.
    No such thing as too many Strats

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

What good would the answer to this question do? You are doing what you are doing, and it doesn't matter what it's called.

leonard d rock and radiocaster like this.
  13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

hello guys.
    i love the neck of that guitar so id want to gig it. i tried a wider strap and to a degree its more comfortable. but the guitar is still heavy to lug around so a lighter body would also make it easier to carry around. i even tried lugging it in a lightweight gigbag but it has less padding so lesser protection.
    would enlarging the routs under the pickguard contribute much to lessening the weight?
    thanks for the replies, so far

ldr

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

To me, the whole point to having Fender styled guitars is the ease of modding. IMO, if you change everything but the original body & neck it's a modded guitar. As soon as you separate the original body and neck it's a Partscaster.

If you view a guitar as what it really is (a tool for making music), then it doesn't matter what "it is" as long as it does what you want it to.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    awasson and leonard d rock like this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

You could remove material under the pickguard, but I don't think you'll get enough out to significantly reduce the weight. You will most definitely reduce the value & or saleability of the body. I have 8 Strats & most are Alder, one is Swamp Ash, 2 are Poplar. The weights of the Alder bodied guitars vary significantly. Though Swamp Ash is supposed to be light, my lightest Strat is one of the Alder bodied Strats. At this point the light Strat is a 93 MIJ Fender 62 Reissue neck & tuners, a Fender American Vintage bridge, Allparts aged 62 body, & G.F.S. 63 Texas wound pickups. Pickguard might be a Fender. Don't know. As a whole it's a very comfortable guitar that's looks authentic.

My heaviest Strat is also an Alder body. An MIM Kenny Wayne Shepard.

I think you should consider a Squier Classic Vibe 60's body. The one I had was lighter Alder & not full thickness, so the overall weight was considerably less while still being of decent quality with good looks and tone.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

The absolute maximum you can save by routing under the pickguard ... and I mean really creative routing at that ... is 5 or 6 ounces. If you had an oldschool S-S-S pickup rout (traditional) you might save a half pound. It could get mighty thin above the tremolo spring cavity to save that half pound, so when I said "creative" I also meant "very careful".

Me ? It's going to be a gigging guitar, not a financial retirement fund, right ? Put the neck and hardware on the lighter body. If it doesn't already have one, give it a swimming pool rout. Then it will be even lighter by about 4 ounces.

17. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

You just stepped into a bunch of philosophy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

... and keeping with the 2nd clause of "Theseus' ship" philosophy, could not the owner of those necks and bodies put them together and have at least 3 "Original Gilmour Black Strat"s? Or could they only do that with the original original parts? If that is the case, what makes the current "original" the original that's worth 3 mil?

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=66

^^ Good golly miss Molly, you're right; that thing has gone through changes...

18. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

It doesn't matter what you change, it will always be the same guitar.
    It's know as Triggers Broom:

ricknbaker likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It only matters if you intend to sell them.

awasson and leonard d rock like this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

As the old Wendy's commercial used to say "parts is parts" so I would say it's like the old chicken nuggets. There was definitely chicken in the nuggets but it may have been from many parts (I always suspected sawdust as well) so it was a chicken nugget.
    That said there are plenty of good partscasters including some famous ones like "Blackie".
    As long as you don't try to pass it off as something that it's not, it doesn't matter what you call it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.