STIFF KNOBS!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by blackguts, Apr 24, 2013.

1. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Ha, just bought an older CV. It is a great player but the knobs are a lot stiffer than my MIM or my MIA. Is this an age thing or a Squier thing?

2. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

The pots could be gunked up [pardon the technical jargon ;)] Get some De-Oxit and spritz 'em.

3. IndyTeleGuy

IndyTeleGuy TDPRI Member

I have noticed that even brand new, some pots have more resistance to them than others...personally I prefer a pot with a little more resistance to it...but that's just my preference...
    If it is actually gunked up (to borrow Bud's terminolody :) ) I would think you would have a "scratchy" pot when plugged into the amp...if no scratchy, then there may not be anything wrong with it, it just has more resistance to it...

4. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

I bought both brand new in the past couple of months: a Fender MIM Tele and a Squire CVC Tele. The controls on my Squier are quite a bit stiffer than on my MIM Fender.

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The full size Alpha pots used on higher-end Squiers are considerably harder to turn than CTS.
    If you want a light touch volume control then swap the existing pot for a vintage style CTS with the dimple underneath.

6. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

thanks guys, mucho apreciado!

7. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Tele-Meister

Yeah clean it out.

After not playing my tele for a while, the vol pot got dirty and scratchy so I cleaned it. It's now way easier to turn.

Which reminds me, I gotta do that to the tone pot too...

8. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

I used a pair of these the last time I put together a Tele from parts.

http://angela.com/cts450gsolidshaft250kpotentiometersfortelessetof2.aspx

"The brand new 450G Series is CTS's top of the line low torque 10% tolerance pot specifically designed for musicial use. Easier to use for volume swells and tone control wah wah effects than the current Genuine Fender CTS pot."

They don't seem all that different from other pots for swells but they sure aren't stiff.

9. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yeah the alpha in cvc are stiffer than cts used by Fender. (by design, not a flaw)If you want similar the Mojotone CTS with the dimple, or better yet I use Bourns EVH low friction pots, these are very easy to turn, almost too much as its easy to turn them by accident.

[​IMG]

10. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

Just dismantle them and adjust the spring tension a little, you can set them to taste. Well, it works on CTS pots anyway.

11. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

My brand new CV50's was that way. Really stiff, cleaning did nothing. I think you would have to upgrade pots to get looser controls. I tried everything, they are just that way. No pinkier swells with this one.

12. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

That's the one thing I haven't tried. Prey tell, how would you go about dismantling the pot? Excuse my ignorance, I have never had one apart.

13. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

If you have the chrome knobs that have a set screw, you might loosen it up a little and pull up the knob just a little bit and find it turns easier.

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

15. DaveA

DaveA TDPRI Member

Turn the tone pot to 8 and a bit and the vol pot to 10 then add a small but well placed amount of glue between the shafts and the thread tops :)

16. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Cleaner..your choice. I like to use something with lube in it, like CRC 2-26. It's up to you..everyone swears by Deoxit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.