1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sticking your neck out and still having a head.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 23, 2020.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have never used the term boss, either for myself or anyone I worked with. President or director are fine, those are positions. It is possible to understand the hierarchy and respect the position. I had no trouble referring to the supervisor of my group by that title, or referring to the manager of a division by that title. But I can't accept 'boss', or 'superior'. In my experience, everyone should be working together. Accepting someone else's superiority over yourself is the same as accepting your inferiority. Maybe you business guys accept that.

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

interesting question, otterhound. I have never considered that, as the term was rarely if ever used in any situation where I worked. I think I would have to hear it in context to understand how it was used before I could take a stand. On the face of it, it seems relatively harmless, semantically. There are ways to describe a position within a hierarchy which are not offensive or degrading; perhaps this is one of them.

I can see a thoughtful manager referring to those under his direction as subordinates (maybe). It's not the same as saying "my inferiors" or "my slaves" as a "superior" or "boss" might do.

3. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The terms superior and inferior just drive wedges between people . Kind of like genius and dumb a** .

4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not going to change anybody.

Let time play it out.

Know who you are talking to.

Do your job, ask questions when you don’t understand, watch, learn.

Help coworkers anyway you can.

I’m surprised how rare it is for people to actually show up when they are supposed to and actually work.

Those that don’t get fired.

Not enough arms to hold hands.

5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

What was it you needed to do to succeed in life?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

And sometimes those that do get fired, too.

1955 likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Change my perception of what it took to make a living. I took advantage of some schooling that I had access to, learned to type, and use a computer. I reviewed the experience I'd had when I was younger in sales, and decided to head in that direction. Then I decided to invest in a computer, a printer, and a fax machine. I spent nearly three thousand bucks on equipment. I sent out over 250 resumes on ONE page! I secured a number of interviews as far as a hundred and fifty miles away on the strength of that ONE page resume. I ended up interviewing with a small company about five miles from my house. I interviewed, knew the interview went well, and ASKED for the job.

The guy I interviewed with said out of all the guys he'd interviewed I was the only one who actually stated I could do the job, and asked for it. He said he figured if I asked for the job, I'd ask for the order when I was out on the job. I knew I had the job when I left there. It was fairly early in the morning, I called my wife and told her I was going to the golf course. I stopped and had steak and eggs on the way. I got in a pickup game, and won a few bucks at the golf course. When I got home my wife said the company called and said for me to report for work the following Monday.

The first day, I got cold feet on my first two calls, the next call went well, by the end of the day, I knew I was going to make it. In six weeks they bumped my base pay five hundred bucks a month. The job also fit well with my previous experience as an equipment mechanic, and shop foreman, in no time I was doing design work on the products I sold. By the end of the second year, I was making double what I was the first six months. My confidence continued to grow, as did my remuneration. As I mentioned, I leaned how to make money from my boss. In short, in fifteen years, I was able to retire. I would never have been able to quit working at the jobs I was doing before I changed my life.

When I started on my journey, I had just finished my last job as a heavy equipment operator, and heavy equipment transport driver. I knew that the handwriting was on the wall. Because of my age I would either get hurt, or die before I could put together enough money to retire. I HAD to make it. I was fifty one years old when I undertook to change my life. I'm glad that it turned out well.

1955 likes this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Well, today I had to let the c suite know of a Microsoft memo suggesting training my January 21 for new tasks features because a particular top boss doesn't like shared tasks. Not liking and thinking you get rid of a core feature with Google, Microsoft or Apple is a bit like stomping your feet or thinking one of us as an individual can change the basic design of something like a F-150 or a Camry's dashboard.

At least I have that memo for the day someone opens up Outlook or Teams and sees the change but I still expect unrealistic to possibly unreasonable behavior from some.

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh yeah. We get that too.

"Call the vendor and tell them to rename that internal data field name from 'x' to 'y'".
    Why? This is internal stuff that only three of us will ever see, and is not exposed to the users.
    "I think it should be renamed. I am three levels above you, so I know three times as much as you do. Make the call and tell them if they want our money..."​

Really, dude? Really?

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.