1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sticking your neck out and still having a head.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As a successful manager: be nice, listen ... and then tell them your way or the highway.

Mouth and 1955 like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was my own boss I worked for an idiot :oops:

BigBillow likes this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You can call it inferior, but that's reality when there's Pres, VP, owner family and you're only one of the 6 area directors. Don't get me wrong. We compete against giants.

@Obsessed The sticking neck out and having the head is in my belief being a be nice, listen and tell them scenario.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. imwjl

I am mostly my own boss so....

;)

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I even fired myself a few times .

6. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Problem solved...
    20201025_212933.jpg

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  7. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah , I knew guys like that .

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

What? You're not Lead 6 Sigma certified? Get out of here!

And take your placemat and crayons with you!

;)

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My last day will be December 30. The workplace could be better. It could be worse. The biggest problems derive from the feudalistic corporate culture. There’s no way to change the culture. I’ll send a broadcast email on my last day. They typically tell people who will never be seen or heard from again how much they will be missed followed by a sentence of faint praise for the corporation.

I’ve exchanged contact info with those folks I will actually maintain contact with. My departure email will read, “So long folks. It’s been a heluva ride”. I still have 13 days I can’t cash out so there are only 11 working days remaining. Mentally, I’m already gone.

SRHmusic likes this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Don't ask for permission
    Don't wait for help
    Don't waste time on people who are unresponsive
    Treat your people well and tell them thank you
    "No" is just the first step of a negotiation
    Always listen and consider all sides
    Tell the truth
    Stop just before you get fired

1955 likes this.
  11. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get me started on Agile. Managers twist it beyond its limits and use it as an excuse to never define anything.

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

it has its uses.

agile.gif

imwjl likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I worked hard, and made a decent living for many years. One day I came to the realization I had been doing it wrong the whole time. That and the fact that I would not be able to work at the same kinds of jobs I always had as I aged. My last fifteen years were the best of my working life. I not only had an excellent job, I managed to learn to make some money on my own.

I had the good fortune of becoming good friends with the owner of the company I worked for, and I paid attention when he was talking. I managed to make some money of my own, that in no way compromised the workings of our company. My boss was not only okay with that, he was glad to have taught me, and to find that I was actually listening. My only regret is that it took me so long to learn what I needed to do to succeed in life. I was also lucky. You can be good, and succeed, but NOTHING beats blind luck!

1955 likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, my mentor was one of the infamous of Silicon Valley. It works.

15. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’m retired military. Back when I was still on active duty, I just gave everybody hell, superiors, peers, and subordinates.

If I disagreed with a superior, I told them and explained why. One of them once said to me, “You know, I’m glad that I’ve got you around. If I make a bad decision, the rest of these guys will yessir me to death and let me hang myself. But you’ll tell me that I’ve got my head up my ass. I appreciate it.” To which I replied, “My pleasure, sir!” with a malevolent grin.

Peers? Something like, “Are you nuts? Why would you even think that?”

Subordinates? “Do it, without a word, immediately if not sooner.”

But that sort of stuff is probably ill-advised in today’s military. Things aren’t like they used to be. And even back then, you didn’t want to be like that unless they held you in particularly high esteem. They liked me and I had a good history behind me, so they grinned when I did it. But they might not have grinned if somebody else had done it.

I still bark orders now and then and say things like, “Do it, without a word, immediately if not sooner!” It never fails to elicit big laughs from Mrs. Steerforth. I’ve tried to explain to her that I outrank her by a country mile, ever since we got married. But she just doesn’t seem to grasp the concept of rank structure, chain of command, and that sort of thing. So I’ve just learned to quietly tolerate her insubordination over the years. :D

1955 likes this.
  16. imwjl

@blowtorch and @BigDaddyLH I'm smiling on the methodology stuff.

It was wise the owners hired an outside consultant for some compliance matters if only because doing same things makes me middle man for the bad guy instead of bad guy, and it has illustrated how much challenge with change is not me.

At same time someone who worked in this place when he was young is now the content and validation person for Microsoft's efforts to streamline achieving security and better operations. Mindset makes it hard for some to not see a brilliant tech exec much different than when he was in high school. The outside consultant resists changing from a much more complicated model to David from Microsoft helping businesses replace it with a simpler more often achieved model.

There are good points in all this and posts here about understanding. In that questioning and understanding we should all do, yesterday I learned some personal tragedy is impacting someone. The leaving my desk aspects of work were a reminder of challenges. I'm not going to effect some complicated change while staffing problems are only getting tougher, and local news said our regional health care center only has 2 ICU beds left.

I'll be happy that recent sticking the neck out left me with a head.

blowtorch likes this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I quit my job a couple of months ago, but recently was talked into coming back. I tried to take less money, but they’re still paying me the same as when I quit. When asked why less money, I said “I’ve always turned down lead and management rolls. I want to say no when y’all ask me to help make spreadsheets to show how to use apps everyone has to use because they say I’m one of the only ones in the country doing it correctly. I don’t want to start up systems that our installation department just put in after running service calls all day. I don’t want to be copied on emails with national account managers about problems with the accounts. I just want to run a couple of service calls a day and be left alone.” So far, so good. I’m pretty sure, soon they’ll start pushing me to take more of a leadership role. I’ll definitely let them know what I think about it when it happens.

18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

my problem is with the use of the word "superior". I do not feel that anyone is superior to me. I may have had to work in a hierarchical situation, but that does not mean that any man or woman on earth is superior to me, and I refuse to accept the terminology.

zeke54 likes this.
  19. imwjl

Well, boss and president or director are not always complementary. Hierarchy in an organization is not same as discrimination against someone for something like gender, race or religion.

jhundt likes this.
  20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

What is your position on the term subordinate ?

jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.