1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sticking your neck out and still having a head.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

On a side note, years ago I had a boss that was known for being harsh and argumentative so one day when he was giving me a bad time I simple asked him what he would have done instead of giving my reason for what I did. Everything was cool after that.

imwjl, BigBillow and SRHmusic like this.
  2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm so glad I'm retired. Dealing with the kind of stuff being discussed here is such a deadly waste of one's life energy. It's really too bad that we're well into the 21st century, and, in general, haven't figured out how to have an efficient, respectful, productive work environment.

I was lucky enough to work for my first "career" job at a non-profit where it was actually like that. I thought that was just how things worked. Boy was I wrong...

3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can tell that by the way you wrote the post, and I found it to be refreshing and impressive. I appreciate leadership that have attitudes like yours. :)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My first real job (outside of DJ-ing at a roller rink, working at a farm market, or cutting pulp), my first corporate job, I should say, I was struck by how dysfunctional everthing was. And then my second as well...by the time I'd gotten into my fourth, I'd figured out one of the secrets they don't tell you/warn you about, that you just have to learn for yourself....that's just how things are: Stupidly and irrevocably messed up. o_O:confused::rolleyes:

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Also- the efforts on the corporate side to correct things, generally make things worse. (TQM, SAFE/Agile methodology, etc)

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

If I ever again had to work with people in an organization with a management structure, I would kill myself. Your post is full of dismal words and concepts: superiors, people who report to you, people who you report to, bosses, etc. This is my vision of hell.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

There needs to be structure when there are close to 1000 employees, and overall I cherish those I report to and those who report to me. It might sound like complaints or structure but it's how stuff gets done.

I confess I'm prone to using lots of notes and crib sheets because it's been a long road to be where I'm at - ADD dyslexic with a lot of responsibilities. Oh, and the company owners plus a few others really are my superiors.

:)

BigBillow likes this.
  8. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's what I did , thank God that's over ... free at last !!!

9. zeke54

I had one of those , only a mental notebook . Mostly management bozos , then a couple of fellow grunts who just seemed to like stirring up the s**t for no real reason ... effing morons .

SRHmusic likes this.
  10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A few thoughts:
    First, I learned that there are nearly always more things I don't know that other people/teams/etc. are dealing with. So the 'problem' usually exists in a space with more tradeoffs than I first realized. The conclusion for that is to ask questions and listen.

Second, in a business the upper managers tend to be less technical, and swayed more by economic or efficiency arguments more than technical arguments. If you can't explain how something affects the bottom line or competitiveness then the conclusion is to go back and work on that.

Third, some people don't get things quickly, especially if not working in an area every day. So sometimes it's best to give it some time. I had people come around more than once to my point of view after a few weeks went by and they came to the same realization... and sometimes thinking they came up with the solution themselves.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    BigBillow likes this.
  11. zeke54

On a sidenote to the post above , I worked at the same place for 48 years before I retired last year , things were much different 3 or 4 decades ago . The last 10years was a real s**t fest .

12. zeke54

Wow , you sound like one of my former managers ... no offense .

13. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Is that good or bad (seriously)? I found if I ignored those things people would be more dismissive out of hand, or downright annoyed.

14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I could never work in a corporate environment. I left PBS when it became a “big business” and the fun of KERA-TV went out the door and the bean counters took over

I got to be a part of building two TV stations in Dallas and that was fun but again the bean counters and mid-management toadies took it over. In 1985 I went self employed and never looked back

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The paradox of my management style is that my former employees tell me how much they now appreciate all I taught them, how much these skills have helped them in their new jobs. A few of them have admitted that they resented me at the time they were learning from me.

I'll learned from this. I'm a better teacher than a manager.

BigBillow likes this.
  16. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Years ago someone rold me that all corporate firms and large orgs on the inside resemble communist authorotarian societies.

Frodebro and jhundt like this.
  17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You have to work the boss the way my wife works me. Example ,there's a bench in our yard that she wants to paint white. She asks me "how do you think that bench would look if we painted it black?" my response might be " not too bad, or we could paint it white". She says "that's a great idea ,I think you're right."
    I'm proud of myself and go right out and paint the bench. She's happy because she got what she wanted and I did all the work.
    Make other people think that it's their idea.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    1955 likes this.
  18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

what a strange world it is, where someone happily admits to being inferior and signs off with a smiley face. Oh well, carry on - if you are happy being inferior to "your superiors", you might just be in the right place.

19. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Huh? Hope you’re kidding. Any huge organization runs like that. It’s a bureaucracy. Are you insulting military people?

It’s not slavery... it’s 40hrs-ish a week... idiots take trash out, capable people get promoted. You have to give people something to motivate them... even if carrot on stick.

I mean it’s easy to say ‘be your own boss and never submit’... but jeeze, who you supposed to learn from? YouTube how-to videos. Good grief (SMDH)

jhundt and SRHmusic like this.
  20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The person that says be your own boss and never submit has no clue . When you are your own boss , the customer is your boss . Everyone has someone over them at some level .

SRHmusic and BigBillow like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.