1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sticking your neck out and still having a head.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Nov 23, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

What's your method or in your crib sheet for dealing with educating and changing the superiors and equals you work with, also for implementing change with people who report to you?

I've found leadership to be more challenging in a current era where many take fake as true, have worldview issues, knowledge gaps or insist fitting things with many shades into black and white. Especially when the bosses are a bit too far into micromanaging.

Knowing to be careful about a threat response (fight or flight) and my long running standard of trying to effect change by getting people to see what they haven't seen before or yet seems strained. I try to be aware of false consensus effect.

Don't laugh but I've actually carried these in a crib sheet for years.

1. Can I ask you a few questions to see if I can help you solve this?
    2. How many different strategies have you tried so far, to solve this problem?
    3. What other directions do you think might be worth trying?
    4. Would you please set goals all of us can work toward?

Maybe some of this should be considered "2020 issues" or my work in a stressed "essential business" but wow are people on edge and challenged.

I have a lot of concern in this because I treasure the people I report to and those who report to me. My guess is there's a lot of this going around. We should try to help people but not get in our own trouble for it.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I gave up a long time ago. I keep my head down and count the days until retirement.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just carry this around
    [​IMG]

OH, wait, 2020...I mean, make it prominently noticeable on the next bunch of zooms

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Me? I purposely stay away from management or leadership "opportunities", and hide behind the Peter Principle and bureaucracy to survive, just like everyone else around me who wants to stay at their job more than a year without going crazy.

Not my circus. Not my monkees.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I did not laugh at all at your crib sheet questions. The first three are diagnostic in nature, and completely non-threatening. The last one is a legitimate challenge for someone to set and accept responsibility.

The #1 thing I do in this type of role is to listen a whole lot, and work hard to keep a strong and efficient signal-to-noise ratio when I open my mouth. In other words, I'm not always speaking, and when I do speak, what I say has inherent value based on verifiable truth/facts.

I'm a clown in real life. But I don't do much joking when I'm in the "work environment" so to speak.

The other thing I do is use the written word, and use it efficiently. In addition to speaking face to face with a person or a group, I will follow it up with a very brief, bullet-pointed email, asking for a verification reply from the person(s) after he or she has read it.

Also, when I call a meeting, I do not waste people's time. I start the meeting on time by immediately handing out a copies of my bullet points for the meeting, and work very hard to say something only once. I do not repeat myself. Repeating yourself in a meeting for the point of emphasis ends up training people not to pay close attention to you.

As far as other questions to ask, maybe something along the lines of this:

Is there anything that you feel that I should know, that I may not know?
    What else do you need from me to solve this issue? meet these goals?
    What barriers do you anticipate, or already see, which could impede your progress on this project?

6. blowtorch

yep me too, I've been working at making my job a "no-show" job, and 2020 has been helping out mightily with that

IF ANY CO-WORKERS ARE READING- I AM KIDDING

;)

Southboundsuarez and Whatizitman like this.
  7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

The most important thing I've learned is that there are some people you can't reason with. If they are your boss, you accept it or move on; if they are your equal, you either enlist help from your boss, or if your boss won't get involved you have to accept it or move on; if they are your subordinate, THEY either accept it or move on.

imwjl likes this.
  8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

High level dumbness is a terrible problem, hard to overcome. Management requires both general management knowledge and knowledge of the specific business processes and relationships of the company. An outsider hired into a high level position has no opportunity to learn the second part.

imwjl likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Agree.

"Be the change you want to see" is a terrific slogan, and not a bad way to live life actually.

But expecting others to change is setting yourself up for disappointment (at the least).

There might be a small handful of opportunities to disciple/mentor a subordinate in life. Take those opportunities when presented. But they will be rare.

10. blowtorch

My oldest son has been advising me that anyone that i find myself in disagreement with, i should just TOMBSTOOOOONNE

sage, mindful and measured advice, I think

BigBillow likes this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    There's also that adage about employees rising to just one level above their competency, which is probably true.

Tonetele and BigBillow like this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Being self employed for roughly 30 years , I'll say this . Risk equals reward/s . Going into more depth will result in a consultation fee that I doubt you will ever agree to pay .

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

True.

I joined my last company as a software developer. When I first started, I taught classes, volunteered to help other projects, went to seminars, took classes myself, got involved in any way I could. I was working client site so once a week I'd go over to the company HQ and walk the halls saying hello to managers, offering to help, making connections. I eventually worked my way up to my business program's technical director. People would come to me and say they wanted to get ahead so I'd tell them what I did and offer to help them. In 20 years I had two people actually take me up on my offer and put in the hard work.

As the old saying goes, "After all is said and done, more is said than done."

1955, BigBillow, SRHmusic and 3 others like this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Redacted.

15. blowtorch

aw COME on :)

16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a whole long post about the toxic environment I work in - and decided to remove it, because just in case anyone here works the same place, they will know...

It's ugly.

blowtorch likes this.
  17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May I come work for you? :D

Or at least have you train my boss?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. blowtorch

You know, we think we have problems with our work, and the people there, and all...

Brother @Slowpoke reminds us just how good we have it.
    Y'know?

19. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    :)

That post is not just me blathering off on an internet forum. I mean, it is me blathering... but I work really hard to make sure that I'm listening to everyone, and that everyone feels that their voice is important.

gregulator450 likes this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I know it's a tired old maxim, but what always works for me is 'lead by example'. I try my damndest to take good care of my people, work harder than anyone else--when necessary--and keep an open mind to new ways of solving old problems.

I spent 15 years as a problem solver, and sometimes I learned useful things from people with a lot less experience than I had. Oftentimes institutional techniques and procedures create blinders over the long term, e.g., "you cannot see the forest for the trees." A fresh pair of eyeballs can often see things I sometimes cannot.

I found that being flexible and open-minded led to trust both upward and downward through the organization, and that promoted better/faster/cheaper ways of achieving the same results that were previously not so achievable.

It's easy to get encircled by the Good, Fast and Cheap triangle of process management, but once one is able to think outside the triangle, some cool things are possible.

1955, BigBillow and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.