Sticking With The Old Computers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

With all the talk of obsolescence it is easy to forget or overlook the dinosaurs that are still in use in various places like the armed services and nuclear plants. Cottage industries exist to keep old systems like the Digital Electronics Corp.'s PDP's in service. The original buyers have kept them in place due to the risk and expense of switching over to new systems, plus the benefit of the security of older technology.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/249...it-ancient-computers-in-use-today.html?page=2

DaphneBlue and nojazzhere like this.
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

There are still people making a living writing (and patching) COBOL code for legacy systems..

Geo, tubedood and uriah1 like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

People are still buying PCs.

Ducking, ducking.;)

4. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Hell, I took a COBOL class in 1999. I had no idea why but it was an absolute PITA to code with. Also did Turbo Pascal and C, then VB.

Fun stuff. Not really, but I learned something...or something.

Geo likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

this little baby could be yours for 8 ben franklins...

upload_2019-7-19_17-33-34.jpeg

Geo and tubedood like this.
  6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

My dad used to be an operator on this AE1010 at RAF Hendon in the 60s

i284852689459119127._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Grandy, P Thought, Geo and 1 other person like this.
  7. magicfingers99

did he have a transistor radio to keep him company, like Group Captain Mandrake?

upload_2019-7-19_18-21-39.jpeg

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Remember my old Tandy’s compaqs wang

ricknbaker and Geo like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It depends on how old. I wouldn't trust the security of older Windows versions connected to the internet. However, I'd guess older mainframe and mini systems are less connected and have security from obscurity. Just don't make me have to deal with working with data from System 36 or AS-400 systems again.

OldDude2 and Geo like this.
  10. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

Yep. And I'm keeping an eye out for the next gig, if you're hiring.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In college in 1974 we Liberal Arts Majors (Music) had to take a basic computer programming course. The "brains" back then had some silly notion that these newfangled computer gadgets might have some importance someday.(yeah, what did they know, right?) We took some simple programming language (can't remember if it was COBOL or Fortran?) but what we had to do was "write" a program, make punch cards for each step, then take those cards to a counter, where the guys who worked there would take them and put them in line to "run". We would come back in several days to find out if it worked, and if not, we had to figure out which punch card wasn't right, fix it, and take the cards back to the counter, and start the whole process all over. Very time consuming and complicated. Sure glad they fixed that issue.....;)

P Thought, Larry F, Believer and 3 others like this.
  12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

A friend of mine is an electrical engineer who recently did some contract work upgrading some US military missile sites. Before the upgrades, they were operating off of 3.5" floppy disks...

Geo likes this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yep, that was my introduction to computing, Fortran and WatFor/Watfiv that you prayed would compile and fixed field format data cards, (I still have some punch cards!)

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

My father bought the family an "Atari 800" computer in gosh 1981 or so. We were in a computer user club for the Atari for a year or so... Our next door neighbor had an Apple II he was quite a wiz at computing. Back then you needed at least a little savviness to get things to work, even loading a simple program. I would love to get a few vintage computers to put in the mancave!

15. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

My first "PC" was a Unix box with a whopping 40MB hard drive, in part because I shunned the notion that any software other than my own code would be of interest. After all, troff was a perfect text editor (no WYSIWYG then), and as long as I could run C and Fortran, what more could there be? :rolleyes:

I've tried hard to be more cognizant of technological potential since then ... :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    kingofdogs1950 and tubedood like this.
  16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

And undoubtedly 5 1/4" disks before that!

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

My dad collected Commodore 64s in the 90s, so that he could have more than just his 2 from the 80s. Made good fun periodically, but everything but the games were obsolete by the time I was born, because the Amiga was simply better.
    I remember in the early 90s going to Sun TV and him buying his first CD ROM equipped computer. It came with an encyclopedia disk and Kings Quest VI.
    I remember booting DOOM from DOS out of windows, and having to sync the freaking gravis pad as it started.

My children will never know what any of that even means.

Anyway,

At work, the core of most systems was ran on DOS based stuff until 2 years ago. The programmers had long since retired, and allegedly wanted too much money to help integrate. None of the new IT people could comprehend thier security protocols, so 2 years back, started building new stuff from the ground up.
    Say what you want, that stuff is harder to hack than windows. You could have 10 year olds In 1997 get into trouble though Windows 95 sucking. I loved windows 98. It was a massive improvement, and nobody else in the 4th grade ever knew how junky 95 was. 2000 sucked, XP was ok. Actually, I prefer that over everything recent.......
    I built computers for my first fulltimejob. Its funny, in less than 10 years, 4gig hard drives were replaced by 40 gig ones at thier relative lk eval of "functional " and I still remember when flash drives first got affordable for "big sizes". By which I mean a 512 meg one.
    Modern phones of course smoke all of the things I mentioned;
    But good freaking luck hacking a Commodore 64....
    I'm shocked more places aren't still running DOS based stuff for security purposes alone.

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my pc i use has vista operating system...i have a 2 year old laptop waiting to be used when my desktop stops working

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  19. viperdss

viperdss TDPRI Member

Still have a functional PDP11/23+ in the garage. 256k ram, 20 meg hard drive and a 300 baud modem. I also have windows disks all the way back to 3.1 and dos disks from before that.

Tsquared, uriah1 and VWAmTele like this.
  20. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not being a wiseguy, but it's Digital Equipment Corp. I'm a ex-DEC employee. Great company, we made some terrific products, and produced some fantastic innovations that are still in use today. However, a company run by engineers is not the best way to promote a business. It was said that if Digital opened a Sushi Bar, we would have marketed it as a "Dead Fish Store"..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.