Stewmac just sent this to me , if you are interested

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by 24 track, Apr 4, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

tery likes this.
  2. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Kinda cool

24 track likes this.
  3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

wow those are expensive

4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, there’s a convenience factor built in so you don’t have to hassle with sourcing your own parts. Buildyourownclone.com has a lot more, prices are little bit better too.

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

interesting that all of their pedals are pre amp ,fuzz box , sort of distortion pedals , and part sourcing is an issue , but at 100+USD it a little steep
    even more intersting is Stewmac is going that route!

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

It’s just like anything else, you pay for the name and some precieved idea of high quality. I’m honestly surprised that with having JHS and EQD’s names attached to these stewmac isn’t selling them for a bit more.

It’s not a clone it’s the real deal.

In reality an experienced builder could make any of those far far less money.

JL_LI and 24 track like this.
  7. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

BYOC has the best support forum going, why go anywhere else?

8. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That was my first thought too but for someone who’s never cobbled together the parts and wants to take the plunge, it would be a safe bet. They look like good kits.

Honestly, I think the kits should be about $25 less per kit on the price sheet and they’re still basically printing money. The FuzzRite kit should be about $50 and there’s still tonnes of markup over the actual components cost. I’d pay more if the boxes were painted and decal-led though.

zippofan and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

Years , and I mean years ago Craig Anderton posted a DIY fuzz pedal in GP mag , I went to the local Radio shack and bought all the parts case included for just a minute fraction of these listed above. I bread boarded the the unit and it worked nicely was really cheap to make , but I'm not one for distortion pedals, I own 3 A) reagun B) tube-screamer C) Blues-driver I only use the Reagun on a clean setting the other two sound so generic to me I havenet plugged them in, in years but as they were gifts from my family I keep them in the studio> I prefer tube distortion to analog over drive and if I need that sound I have a B.K Butler Tube driver in the rack

I agree with Awasson on the price of these units , but I did find it interesting that Stewmac went this route ( all of a sudden)

awasson likes this.
  10. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Retail is 4-5x parts cost. Reality is 2-3x since you won't get the price that a guy buying 1000 cases gets.

24 track likes this.
  11. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

I have built several build your own clone kits. They make fine pedals. I find I like general guitar gadgets kits a little better. The general guitar gadgets kits are also the cheapest I have found.

zippofan, 24 track and Andy B like this.
  12. awasson

The cost is funny with pedals, especially when we can order parts from Mouser or DigiKey and get overnight delivery. The cost of something complex like the Disaster Transport Jr delay pedal is in the knobs, jacks, PC board and metal box. The parts that make it work are in neighbourhood of about $10 if you order them online.

I do miss Radio Shack. We haven’t had Radio Shack in Canada for about 20 years. They can’t compete on price with places like Mouser or Digikey but I do miss the convenience of getting all of my electronic bits from there. We have a local place called Lee’s Electronics. They’re really well stocked and super friendly. Anything I can’t get online quickly, I can get from them. Hammond stomp box chassis are about $10 a piece at Lee’s; 3PDT stomp switches are $5 and jacks are a couple of bucks each.

zippofan and 24 track like this.
  13. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I suppose more than my knee-jerk reaction is necessary to express my viewpoint ... it is expensive for an unfinished enclosure with what I can clearly see are janky led bezels which leads me to believe if you're cutting corners there, then the component quality might be questionable as well. if I were getting a pre-drilled and finished enclosure with quality parts and a high quality pcb then yeah ... the money is right. chinese sellers on ebay will sell you a kit with a nice finished enclosure and janky everything else for $30

zippofan, awasson and 24 track like this.
  14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The true cost of building a DIY pedal varies. Its about £10 for a good enclosure and up to £25 on the other parts but can be done for considerably less. A klon clone will cost a lot because of the really high part count but a Si fuzz face can be done for £10 including a cheap mini pedal enclosure or if you're like me and always have a few spare components it can be done for nothing.

awasson and 24 track like this.
  15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I also build all my pedals on vero board to save on buying pcbs.

awasson, jimilee and 24 track like this.
  16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

It's because gain pedals are made of readily available parts, its hard to build a reverb pedal because the ic chips in them are impossible to source. Then a lot of effects are digital which are really complex. There are some people pedals which are exceptions like an equalizer, some phasers and a couple of tremolos. If you want something different you should look at parasit studio I've been dying to try their tremolo.

24 track likes this.
  17. awasson

I think Madbean have some good projects if you can decipher their web page. They supply PC Board for a reasonable cost and all the parts lists and schematics can be found on their site for free.

I built their Ping Reverb on Veroboard and it’s a total winner. It uses a digital Reverb “tank” module but sounds pretty realistic for my needs. The Reverb module was about $15 and I did have to buy a piece of veroboard for it. I had lots of the parts on hand but ended up purchasing some. It probably cost me $25.

I’m building their Glam Chorus at the moment and again, I’m doing the VeroBoard route. It uses the PT2399 chip which are sometimes hard to source and/or inconsistent quality/noise wise but I scored a got batch of 25 for about $10. I had most of the parts on hand so cost to me, aside from the box and switch will be about $5 or so.

We live in a wonderful time for this stuff.

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

There are a number of companies that offer DIY pedal kits complete and usually a little cheaper than what stewmac is offereing , but in all it gets back to the component quality and the convenience of all in one shopping It might be interesting to post a list of some of the available companies that do make kits just to have as a resource for any one who likes the DIY route .

other than Stewmac ,there's, Mojotone , Madbean , Parasit studios, that sells complete kits If there are more keep them comming and if any one built any of these kits some feed back , this could be really helpful to some newbies trying to sus this out.

19. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

fuzzdog, musikding, mammothelectronics, arcadia electronics, moodysounds, general guitar gadgets, mklec, olcircuits ... all have full kits
    this isn't nearly all, just the ones I can think of without struggling too hard

24 track likes this.
  20. 24 track

thank you,
    thats really cool, this will be a good reference for those who want to DIY

Nickfl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.