StewMac Heads-up

baiff

Tele-Holic
Too bad their shipping prices are terrible. It's not worth buying from them if you only want a small item like a fret rocker.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They're great cutters. Really great. But I already have a set of them. I'm still tempted to save 50% on something I don't need. Is that lame or what.

@baiff, I used to buy from S-M maybe once a year, when I'd have a largish list of things that I wanted, they were the best source, and I could wait a bit to pile up a larger list. Then I signed up for their StewMax service 3-4 years ago, and I wouldn't change a thing. I can order from them just like Amazon Prime. Free shipping, and free returns even. No matter how big or small the item. Yes, it's easily quintupled my expenditures with them. Good for them, but also good for me, because I often wanted to buy from them, but no way could justify adding $9 to every little thing I wanted. The first year, the Max membership ($40 I think) paid for itself within 6 months. This year it probably only took a month.

I like good tools, and prefer to buy from S-M, Phila LS, LMII, someone like that, over some random knock off on ebay. You get what you pay for, usually. I don't hoard tools, but I'm willing to spend for a necessary one on first time I need it, assuming (usually correctly) that I'll need it again sometime. This is how I work, and the Max thing works extremely well for me. Not for everyone, but I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did.

John Nicholas

Friend of Leo's
They're great cutters. Really great. But I already have a set of them. I'm still tempted to save 50% on something I don't need. Is that lame or what.

@baiff, I used to buy from S-M maybe once a year, when I'd have a largish list of things that I wanted, they were the best source, and I could wait a bit to pile up a larger list. Then I signed up for their StewMax service 3-4 years ago, and I wouldn't change a thing. I can order from them just like Amazon Prime. Free shipping, and free returns even. No matter how big or small the item. Yes, it's easily quintupled my expenditures with them. Good for them, but also good for me, because I often wanted to buy from them, but no way could justify adding $9 to every little thing I wanted. The first year, the Max membership ($40 I think) paid for itself within 6 months. This year it probably only took a month.

I like good tools, and prefer to buy from S-M, Phila LS, LMII, someone like that, over some random knock off on ebay. You get what you pay for, usually. I don't hoard tools, but I'm willing to spend for a necessary one on first time I need it, assuming (usually correctly) that I'll need it again sometime. This is how I work, and the Max thing works extremely well for me. Not for everyone, but I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did.

Just placed an order yesterday with Stew MAC... I really should sign up for their Max program..

But I also gave a dealer account with All Parts, and their part prices are better. But the same thing, their shipping costs are pretty steep..

When I placed my order yesterday I was tempted to by another set of cutters!! Even though I have three already!!

And I agree with you... getting high quality tools is the cheap way in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm sure you could purchase some wire cutters or similar if you have a good hardware/tool store in your town or area.
. The cost of USPS is huge if you live here. So much so that we tend to buy numerous items as mates to get it in one parcel and then share the postal costs.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm sure you could purchase some wire cutters or similar if you have a good hardware/tool store in your town or area.
. The cost of USPS is huge if you live here. So much so that we tend to buy numerous items as mates to get it in one parcel and then share the postal costs.
These S-M fret cutters are like nothing I've seen at any hardware store, or even online labeled 'fret cutters'. It's like cutting butter.

John Nicholas

Friend of Leo's

Shipping costs are a huge factor, especially when purchasing from the USA from anyplace around the world. The idea of sharing shipping costs is a fabulous idea, one that I've used with friends here in the USA!!

While my hardware store modified cutter work alright, they do "pull" the fret to the side if I'm not careful. Probably just Eans I didn't grind them down far enough. But the SM cutters are fabulous and well worth the extra money. Especially when they are on sale at 50% off.

These S-M fret cutters are like nothing I've seen at any hardware store, or even online labeled 'fret cutters'. It's like cutting butter.

I agree 100%

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Looks like they have their fret end nippers on sale for 50% off for the next 7 1/2 hours:

https://www.stewmac.com/Sale/StewMac_Fret_Cutter.html

I pushed the button! Thanks Rog. One word of caution with this tool. I find it excellent for pulling all frets and excellent for end nipping nickel silver frets but nipping Jescar EVO or stainless frets will instantly destroy this tool. Caveat emptor.
Rob

D_W_PGH

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure these work better than general nippers, but I found 64 hardness small nippers when SM had these at $32. SM doesn't really give any specs, and it appears to me that what they offer can change at any time.

I can't remember the name of the nippers that I bought (they are flush cut type side cutters), but they have yellow handles and were about $23 - made in sweden, i believe. So far cutting both frets and strings, no problem.

The hardness spec I mentioned above is the edge of the nippers, I'm assuming a surface value and not something through and through (that could be resharpened).

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey DW,
I believe the nippers you are referencing are Lindstroms. They are available on Amazon for about $25 but they are side nippers and could not be used to pull frets like the SM tool. Lindstrom might make something similar to the SM tool. Their quality looks really good. I’ll look at their catalog.
Rob

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Just checked and they don’t make anything similar to the SM tool. Bitterroot does make one. Has anyone here had experience with it?

Sollipsist

Tele-Afflicted
When SM sent me the $15 holiday gift, I thought about getting that little stainless steel action height gauge card. Now it's also on sale... and with shipping, it's STILL three times as expensive than the exact same thing on Amazon.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I pushed the button! Thanks Rog. One word of caution with this tool. I find it excellent for pulling all frets and excellent for end nipping nickel silver frets but nipping Jescar EVO or stainless frets will instantly destroy this tool. Caveat emptor.
Rob
Hmm, I've used them on one neck's worth of stainless (from either S-M or Phila), and don't notice any degradation. Only one neck, though...

Barncaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Trimming EVOs destroyed my tool. Maybe I got a soft one. I don’t know but I’ll be using this tool to remove frets and nip nickel silver only to be safe.