1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stewmac Colortone Liquid Stain for Leather

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wowazeplin, Oct 17, 2020.

1. wowazeplin

wowazeplin Tele-Meister

Just putzin' around the basement while waiting for some binding to come in on an ovation rebuild. I made a simple leather pickguard for my p90 tele... Was wondering if anyone used Stewmac's Colortone Liquid Stains on leather before? Going to try it on some scrap in a few minutes.... Maybe a brown shoe polish could work in a pinch too?

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

all i know the last leather dye i used from Tandy leathers was junk ( might be a special CA blend). I might try some colortone dye on a piece leather sound like that’s a good idea

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

SacDAve likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Fiebing's Leather Dye. I use it on leather, wood, and other materials. It's alcohol based and it is permanent.

Remember that dye--like stain--goes on a lot darker because it's in liquid form. After it dries it will be quite a bit lighter. If you want deeper/darker color, use multiple applications with dry time between.

etype likes this.
  5. wowazeplin

wowazeplin Tele-Meister

Thank you for all the replies!

You know it worked well enough. Combination of cherry red, vintage amber and tobacco brown gave me something that looked a little too orangish, I’m trying to get. Something in the end like a holster tan/brown with a lot of age. I’ll keep at it and see what I end up with. I’d much rather find an old well used piece of flat thick hard leather and just cut a guard from that.

6. wowazeplin

wowazeplin Tele-Meister

It’s definitely the wrong color, but I’ll show how the experiment turned out. Again wrong color but I’ll keep fiddling with it. Intend to distress it to get it looking as old as the barn boards. Also like the look without, but just playing around with ideas

Attached Files:

7. SacDAve

I just tried some colortone on a piece leather, sitting out in the sun drying I'll post a pic when it's dry

8. SacDAve

I worked ok for just a quick test It is purple dye. I mixed the dye with water Alcohol would most likely work better But in CA denatured alcohol is no longer available. I did book mark the the link from jim's post, I think for any serious leather I would try some of their dye. Look a little better in the pic
    IMG_7047.jpg

9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Fiebing's is great, but it will come off and get on other stuff if you don't seal the leather with something like Tandy Satin Shene (and go with 5-7 coats of that).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.