Stew-MAC Mini T Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strange Ol' Man, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

287C44C8-0FF0-4E26-A9F5-A064796C3ED1.jpeg B5189DDB-EB9E-48CA-9C9E-F37C5C0635C5.jpeg 2097E393-85D9-4675-96FA-C2DD02CEF5AF.jpeg 5F392B90-4796-4558-8736-9C1811194C4E.jpeg Here is one of the Stew MAC mini T kits . Very nice kit and I’ll uograde to CTS POTS AND SWITCH . New old stock collusion free USSR CAP .

I’ll seal and Lacquer here in a few .

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

This is so beyond cool! My oldest kid is in a wheelchair, and wants to learn how to play; a normal sized guitar is too cumbersome for him in his chair, and I thought about getting one of these for him (and for me to use for recordings when he's not using it). Your build turned out awesome! Did you glue fabric to the body for the paisley handkerchief finish?

3. Strange Ol' Man

Yes sir . Fit and finish in these are good . It’ll need a fret level and crown . I’ve done a bunch and f Fabric under Lacquer and have a couple out in tours and they have held up .

These would be great for what your wanting .

I had to shape headstock and I cut pickguard to my preferred shape .

Tight neck and body fitment .

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Ah, I recognize your finish work now (the Buck Evel in your avatar was a big hint). You do a lot of tweed teles, too! ;) I am a big fan of your builds, going back to a guitar that you built for Blackberry Smoke to auction for charity, IIRC.

I read some reviews of the mini, and several reviewers said they're hard to tune and intonate due to the odd short scale length. I am interested to know how it performs once you have it strung up.

Strange Ol' Man likes this.
  5. Strange Ol' Man

Thank you I’ll post up on this one as we go . I’m gonna install string furrels for sure . I think that will help and 2 string trees .

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

That's awesome!!! Like the w/b paisley.

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool indeed.

8. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Never put a tele in the dryer.

old soul, cloink50, Jim_in_PA and 2 others like this.
  9. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

The key to end up with usable small-scale guitars that'll hold tuning is string tension. You'll have to use much bigger strings. Unfortunately, D'Addario's web app is offline right now, but google "guitar string tension" and you’ll find a few similar tools. First determine what tension you are accustomed to, say 25,5 " scale with 10-46 strings in 440, make a note of total string tension, and then enter the small guitar's scale in the tool. Then try any available balanced set's gauges until you end up with the same tension as what you got with your usual setup.

Am I clear on this? Sounds complicated but really it isn't.

10. Strange Ol' Man

I have Hotline directly to Uncle Dan , he is the Top Jimmy of these guitars & sure will make note . Thank you

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Smylight likes this.
  11. Strange Ol' Man

Ahhhhh ....... only play the Schecter in the dryer . WTH ?

TeleTown likes this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Are these designed to be octave guitars? Or something like C standard?

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It couldn't possibly be designed to be tuned to E standard. That much is a given, I'd think, just looking at it.

I tune my Squier Mini (which is a longer scale guitar than this munchkin Tele thing) to A standard, using 7s. Would also make a good G standard or open G guitar with 8s on it.

14. Strange Ol' Man

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That is VERY cool! I didn't know Stooge Mac offered these kits; I'll have to try one now that you've poked at us ;) That looks fantastic. Nice work.

About five years ago I built a 7/8-size Tele from Warmoth parts. I shot a 2-color burst on the body, cut the heastock to a Tele shape, and gave it an appropriate name because it was sort of a 'teenage Fender' not yet grown up.

It plays and sound great in standard tuning because the scale length is the same as a Gibson (24.75").

[​IMG]

16. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

You sparked my interest. I went and checked the scale, which I hadn't until then. It is a VERY short 16.3"! So you'd have to use a 14-68 baritone set (100 lbs) to get in the ballpark of 10-46s (107) in tension. So you COULD use it that way tune to normal pitch. Not sure about the feel of such big strings on such a short neck, though.

On 18.3" scale, a 13-56 set would yield tension just between that of a set of 8s or 9s on a Gibson neck.

So I'd say yes, it is manageable and I sure would give it a try given a good setup.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

17. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

All that calculating being done, this is what StewMac says :

"This little guitar sounds great in standard tuning, but you can explore so many more tones. In standard tuning these play best with light gauge strings (.09s or lighter) due to the shorter scale. For a totally new but familiar tone, we've enjoyed tuning these to Double Drop D, A to A (like a capo at the 5th fret), and all sorts of open tunings."

You can safely bet that 9s in standard tuning on such a short scale will end up with very floppy strings and tuning stability problems. Tension will be 38 lbs. But it can be tried!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

This could make a very cool 4-string electric ukulele too. The scale length is in the ballpark of a tenor uke, which is 17".

I ordered one of the kits. Looks like fun!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  19. Strange Ol' Man

Lots of options as far as setup.

We will explore different options there .

Thanks all . I’ve got neck tinted and Lacquer and body is close to first wet sanding .

Smylight likes this.
  20. Strange Ol' Man

0B37043F-4C16-45CC-B798-E9ACA905DAC1.jpeg C3571874-3B73-41D6-A1EB-D8A58DD0C995.jpeg 89C55C92-0378-423E-8AB3-E0BEE15B13AC.jpeg F6F4C80A-DC27-4053-92CA-2E7E183742E2.jpeg 8CD8C4B3-2C8A-4885-909B-1ACEBBC5C868.jpeg Got it sealed and first coats of Lacquer .

Retrobob, zippofan and sleazy pot pie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.