1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stew Mac "luthier's friend?"

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by maxvintage, Feb 3, 2016.

1. ltdave32

ltdave32 Tele-Meister

I build a lot of guitars. For a private guy with a day-job, that is. Maybe 25 a year.

The ROSS unit has transformed the way I build like no other addition to my shop. Best $200 I ever spent, hands-down.

I've had -zero- issues with regards to failure or table not closing to 90 degrees. I use it on every build, from sanding the excess close to the rout line after band sawing, truing up the sides of fret boards and one-piece necks, sanding the headstock "scoop" above the nut, etc.

One does need to clean and maintain it, set it up now and then, etc but what power tool in the shop doesn't require such?

The only criticism of the ROSS I can think of is that there's no feature for stopping the up-and-down motion when in spindle mode. Well, I'll live with that, considering how much shop assistance and making my builds easier that one tool has provided me with. All that for a paltry two-hundred bucks. Amazing.

If it ever took a dump on me, you would find me at Home Depot buying another one within the hour.

2. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

I also have a ROSS and find it indispensible. I have a few homebrew jigs for it as others here do too. For 200 smackers it's a no brainer. My only issue with it was my own stupidity - don't hold small parts by hand and use it - part will go flying. You may also inadvertently sand the end of a fingernail off, not a good thing for a Tele player :eek:

I also have set of sanding drums similar to these http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/cl00155/

I use them periodically - mainly for jobs such as the curve on the wings of Martin-style acoustic bridges.
    If you're concerned about the wear on the drill press, I suggest buying an inexpensive small press and dedicate that to the sander drums and save your better press for, well, drilling.

-K

ltdave32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.